Buying new 790

/ Buying new 790 #1  

dirt ditch

Veteran Member
Tractor
Hello everyone, I was trying to decide on what JD tractor to buy when I came across this site! Read as many posts as possible before deciding on a 790 with a 300 loader + extras. Was able to find a dealer who had one. Glad I did because the dealers I have talked to said they can't order the 790 any more because it is being replaced next year with a new model. Thanks again for all the great info. I found out about the 790 on this site. The dealers wanted to sell me something in the twenty series but the 790 is what I am looking for. :)

/ Buying new 790 #2  
Congradulations Dirt, welcome to TBN. I am sure you will enjoy the 790 from what I have read they are a real workhorse and a very high quality built tractor. Enjoy and be safe. MH

/ Buying new 790 #3  
Welcome to TBN dirt ditch:

Glad you found what you wanted, the 790 is a great basic tractor that will be working for you many years from now. I have the older brother, a 770 and it has been worked hard in rocky Connecticut with no complaints.
One huge plus (IMHO) is no ecu (powertrain computer) this tractor is a solid tool that has made my life soo much easier as I dig stumps, and rocks, move earth and drag wood for the wood stove.

BTW do you have any pictures?

good luck...

/ Buying new 790
No photos yet. The dealer just got the loader in today. The tractor is in the shop getting everything put on it. Hope by the weekend after Thanksgiving. Not having a computer was a big plus for me as well. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) is the rule to live by.

/ Buying new 790 #5  
Congratulations on your purchase.

My son bought a new 790 w/ 300 FEL, about 3 or 4 years ago. AFAIK it has been flawless, except for something minor related to a battery cable.

/ Buying new 790 #6  
Great tractor...you'll really like it! I know I like mine!
I suggest you get the ballast box to balance out the loader. Several hundred pounds of sand (or other material) works fine. Just remember to always install the loader before rigging the ballast box to your 3PH.

I'm really sorry Deere is replacing the 90 series tractors. The replacement tractors will probably be Chinese junk.
However, the 90 series has been around for almost 10 years now...quite a lifespan for a tractor.

/ Buying new 790
Last week called the dealer after ordering everything I wanted and added the ballast box. I ordered the tractor with 4 wheel weights (dealer said that will be plenty), but everyone here talks about how light these tractors get in the rear using the loader. Hope this setup works, so I don't have to load the rear tires.

4wd 790 / R4 tires / 4 - 60lb wheel weights / power beyond / 2 rear work lights / block heater / ballast box / 300 loader / 61" heavy duty bucket / pallet forks

One dealer said The 790 will have a new model number, but will be basically the same tractor, and it will cost more.

Last edited:
   / Buying new 790 #9  
Have to agree with Roy. I can't see any reason to get rid of the 790 in the line up. Nice solid tractor with no electronics... get it while you can.

If they had just added a mechanical hydrostat as an option to it, they would have probably doubled the sales of it and given the other 'economy' models - Kubota L2800, NH TC-30 something to compete with.

On that note. I was dissapointed that when I drove a JD 3520 last weekend, the first thing I noticed was the big "MADE IN CHINA" on the loader. Its probably made to JD specs but I don't associate CHINA with quality ... yet.

/ Buying new 790 #10  
Congrats dirt ditch

My neighbor owns a 790 and I looked at them when I was in the market for a tractor. It is a really good one. The dealer said it is the most popular model among small farm operations and homeowners. My neighbor always has a logging winch on the 3ph but I don't know if the tires on his machine are loaded or not. Save your money on the ballast box you can always make ballast out of concrete I made mine for about $25. People posted several threads about that.