How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor?

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
I asked this question over at the Kubota thread several months ago. The response was pretty consistent - several times before landing the 'right' machine. Well, I guess I fit that category now as well, as I've just ordered a 2320.

I've spend the last few months debating the upgrade, as I bought a new house lot that's totally undeveloped. My Kubota BX1500 simply couldn't do the work I now needed (grading 1.5 acres of topsoil and chipping lots of brush). I was very happy with Kubota and the dealer, so I put all of my attention into the B7610. Drove it and loved the performance. The size seemed a bit more than what I needed in the long run, but there's no way I'd go back the BX size, even with the 23 hp engine. Just too little ground clearance. The price was expensive, but that's the cost of these machines. The quote for a B7610 with folding ROPS, larger 352 FEL and loaded tires came out to $14,212. List was nearly $16k. A very good deal from everything I read here and elsewhere on the internet.

But, just to be sure, I went to the Deere dealer to check out the ~$12k 2305 tractor. A bit better ground clearance, but was very concerned about the location of the hydraulics. So I sat on the 2320. Drove it. Immediately saw all of the benefits over the Kubota. Beyond the obvious 'position control' (was better than Kubota's 1/4 inching valve for the grading I'll need to do), virtually everything about the tractor was an 'upgrade' over the Kubota. Thicker steel fenders. Way easier FEL disconnecting system (I drover one with the 200cx). Far more comfortable seat. Better FEL control lever location. Split brakes on the left side, so I can still operate the hydro. A hood that lifts both the top and sides with the flip of a lever... So, naturally, I was afraid to ask the price (because, as they say, 'if you have to ask...'). Well, tractor, 200cx loader and loaded tires was quoted at $14,400. All those upgrades for $188?! It's to be delivered tomorrow... attachments to follow in the spring after the piggy bank is replenished a bit.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #2  
Well..let's see if i can get this right. Bought the house on appx. 9 acres with about 1/4 acre of grass (not lawn at that point) and the rest overgrown overgrowth and woods. Was given a hand me down 21" pushmower--worked great for the first year. Purchased a used JD 185 (48" deck I think with front blade--used that to help turn grass into a lawn--and grow it to about an acre. Traded that in on a JD 425 that would eventually get a rear PTO to run a 413 rough cut mower--grew the lawn to about 1 1/2 acres and started to rough cut some of the overgrowth and get into the woods. Traded that in on a 2210 with FEL and LX-4--really started to see an improvement in capability and turned into about 2 1/2 acres of lawn and 2 acres of "pasture" to be cut 2x per year. Found the LX-4 to be too slow for the pasture job--traded up to a JD 2520 with FEL and LX-5. This was a great combo for my needs--mowed great and the LX-5 was an improvement in pasture mowing and speed--lawn is now about 3 acres and pasture grows to 2 1/2. Get tired of the constant on/off of the mower deck and FEL every week (switching from lawn mowing to pasture mowing with the LX-5 and more clearing in the woods--need the FEL on for that)--and therefore upgrade again. Now have a 3320 with FEL and MX-5 (dedicated pairing) and JD 757 ZTR for lawn mowing. Lawn is now about 3 to 3 1/2 acres, pasture is about 3 (and can be mowed pretty quickly whenever needed), woods are almost cleared--and FINALLY found the NW corner of my property (it was hidden in the woods/overgrowth). This entire process took me 15 years--but I've gotten my money's worth out of every set-up and have no regrets about the process. I think I'm done--but I am looking at getting a BH for the 3320.
Todd

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #3  
Instead of upgrade I bought another tractor. Now have 2320 and 5203. Really want a new 5203 with 4WD, but just can't spend any more money. Guess if money were never an issue, might upgrade monthly. I think its kinda like guns--I never need another one unless I go to the gun store.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #4  
I guess I will find out... I purchased 15 acres of pasture with about 1 acre woods. Last week I purchased a new 5203 MFWD with 522 loader for $22,600.I thought I got a good deal. :D I have only had a chance to put on about 4 hours but it is easy to drive and I can shift between forward and reverse without using the clutch when using the loader. I am thrilled to death with my choice so far.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #5  
I changed out tractors.. but part of that was because my needs also changed after buying.. etc.

Soundguy

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #6  
BX-

I am one of the infamous ones on the JD forum who has traded often. I receive good natured ribbing at times for my neglecting to keep any tractor beyond a year. I have been where you currently are. I started with an X595 tractor, which was great when I had a large yard, then I moved. I then had more property but very little of it was grassed. I bought a small FEL for the JD and found it inadequate for my needs. My friend who is a JD dealer sold me on going bigger, to a 4310, which was great but underpowered for its size and my hilly terrain. I then went with a 3720 which I liked a lot, but had an opportunity to trade for a 4520 which I did. It was a great tractor, but so large I could not fit about half the places I wanted to work, so I sold it and bought my second 3720, which I currently own. I have 120 hours on it, which is the highest hour count of any tractor mentioned. I love it, but have been looking at a smaller machine recently, as even my 3720 is too big for some of my work. I probably will keep what I have because I like it, but can say personally that I have owned at least five tractors of late before I hit the right one, and I am still not 100% convinced I have it right yet. The other thing of course is that our personal needs change. For me, had I not moved I probably would still be mowing and such with my 595, but with changing circumstance, I needed something different. Welcome my friend to the slippery slope.

John M

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #7  
John--if the slope is slippery--it just means we have not found the right grooming vehicle yet!!

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #8  
I'm more than guilty on this end. I had a 5103 and sold it. Looking to move up into a 5203 MFWD or a 4720. Problem is, both fit some of my needs perfectly...but neither fits ALL of my need perfectly. Wish I had the cash to just buy a tractor for each task.

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor?
John -

My real concern with this purchase is that it will be too big in a year or two when I'm done with the heavy landscaping. I too moved, which prompts this switch. Started with a GX335, but wanted help saving my back. Then came the BX1500 a year ago. Awesome little tractor. But just too small to do the things that now need (note: need, not want) to be done on the unimproved lot. It's only a little over 3 acres, so the 2320 seems 'big.' But, it's a real tractor and very capable. I really like that it's adaptable to needs in the future (i.e. mid-mount with bagger if need be, rear remote for backhoe, etc).

Looking forward to another Deere. And another login name...

/ How many upgraded before finding the 'right' tractor? #10  
Started with a wheelbarrow in 1998.

Got a Polaris Sportsman 500 in 2000. Still use it to mow the grass, gather firewood, plow, and do donuts when we get freezing rain. Yeah, its not a tractor, but kind of served as one.

In spring of 2007, got a 3520. No intent to mow with it. I don't see getting bigger or smaller at any point in time. Being able to mow and plow snow with the ATV probably killed my upgrade phase (hopefully).