What to do 4120 or 110TLB

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB #1  

MACDABS

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 110TLB
Need some advice, I have a 4310 with a 48* Hoe I purchased for my house projects in 2003, landscaping, snow removel and moving dirt to build a garage at my house some day.** The problem is the machine has been great for many projects at the house and I have logged 120-130 hours . Most of them our loader and chipper hours, with 150 hours for my business* moving material and backhoe hours.This machine falls short for lifting* and digging for my buisness , I need to lift tower sections and heavy steel, dig electric ditches and foundations in mountain tops of rock and granite. I sub out a lot of* trackhoe work , but we still need a machine on site that is small to do the finish work and move material in the middle of the woods.I have been offered a good deal for trade on my machine for a 4120 with the 448 hoe or keep my 48 hoe with the new 4120.* This machine will give me the lifting capacity I need , but I think the 110Tlb will give me a great deal of durability I need to dig rock and rent breakers with the skid style attachment capability the machine offers.* I do love the small footprint my 4310 gives me at my house and the turf tires do not destroy the lawn or the driveway. I know I will miss the machine and moving a 4120 or 110Tlb will be more weight to move from site to site.Also keeping two machines is out of the question. I want to keep my* life simple , I have several buildings, employees,fleet vehicles and stuff to maintain now .* My latest is a 17 month old daughter that has been in the works for* 19 plus years and I want to spend more home life and less building businesses and more equipment.So,long story short what do you think 110tlb OR 4120?***

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB #2  
That is a real tuff decision for sure.

I personally like the versatility of the 110, and its built for commercial use.

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB #3  
110 hands down. The type of work your doing almost demands a full size tlb. The 110 is as close as you can get. There are other offerings from the other colors that will work for you also. The 110 is a real nice machine. That will be the next tractor for me also. I have a 3320 with the 448 and it's a great machine but for commercial duty the 110 fits the bill. The 110's loader doesn't come off. Just keep that in mind. Best of luck in your quest to keep it simple.

Matt T.:D

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB
GreatWhitehunter said:
110 hands down. The type of work your doing almost demands a full size tlb. The 110 is as close as you can get. There are other offerings from the other colors that will work for you also. The 110 is a real nice machine. That will be the next tractor for me also. I have a 3320 with the 448 and it's a great machine but for commercial duty the 110 fits the bill. The 110's loader doesn't come off. Just keep that in mind. Best of luck in your quest to keep it simple.

I did not think about the loader not coming off,but I think the only time I removed my loader is to service the machine or a detail wax .My friends make fun of me for keeping my tractor clean.
I sold my Harley to buy the tractor in 2003 and they always joke about it, except when we are doing a roof job,building a addition,removing snow,digging for a wall, you get the picture. I never operated a Hydro machine, my 4310 is a power reverser do you think I will notice a loss of power? Also my front tires are foam filled and rear calcium loaded for weight , should I load the 110Tlb machine?

Macdab

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB #5  
If your keeping the hoe on alot I wouldn't load the tires. But if you plan on doing loader work with the hoe off I would definatly load the tires. The 110 has alot of lift and you don't want that mess. As for the hydro and enough hp I don't think you'll notice any hp loss. The only place a hydro really loses is at the pto. From your work scope it doesn't sound like it will be an issue. I don't know if you've searched an past threads but be sure to order it with the skid plates. The 110 has a soft under belly and you don't need to find that out the hard way. It's worth the added price.

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB #6  
I agree with Matt. The 110 is the choice if you are planning to do the work you mention. For a general tractor with backhoe capabilities the 4120 is fine, but it cannot match the 110 for this type work day in and day out.

John M

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB #7  
I agree with the Doc , 110 all the way. I drove one last year when thay did
my septic system before i had a backhoe. That thing is a beast.
makes all AG tractors seem like a toy. when you pull the lever.
it moves , breaks , or digs anything in its path. ;)
but keep in mind i think it weighs about 8600 pounds. so keep
that in mind if weight is a problem. but the power of the hoe is
unmatched by anything of its size. The only thing close is the L39
and it still ant no 110.

Chris...:)

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB
Thanks again for the feedback , I appreciate the comments my wife refers to me as a tractor geek and is tired of me asking her what to do. It is nice to discuss this with people who have the same tractor disease as I do.

The weight is a concern and if I do not have to load the tires that would be great. I live on top of a killer hill and almost all of our sites our on top of the mountain in the middle of no where. I have a 12000lb trailer and f350 for a tow vehicle but more weight is tuff to pull ,plus coming down off the mountain with a full load can be scary.
I think my 4310 with 448 and loaded tires is close to the 7600lb unloaded 110TLb ? I also have to decide turf or Industrial tires . I have turf now and they are kind of to soft for moving slate or in heavy muck.

I wish I could keep both ,but I have kept many restored cars that I do not have time to drive and maintain. I will miss the green color but yellow is almost considered a STEELERS color.

Macdabs

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB #9  
spent many a mile on 22 in your neck of the woods. Lots of little white cross's as one travels those hills,, I would go 110 and industrial in that area,

/ What to do 4120 or 110TLB #10  
Isn't the 110 TLB based on the 3000 series with Yanmar power? I would rather have the 4120 with the turbocharged JD Powertech engine and significantly increased hydraulic flow, lift capacity, etc.