NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #1  

Dirt_Works

Ok gents need some new advice! Sold my Kubota 3830 to downsize, looking at one of these new JD sub compacts 2320 or 2520. I know the 2520 has a way more robust hydraulic system compared to the 2320 but that doesn稚 really justify the way greater expense. So let me hear it good the bad and ugly.....or other ideas, I will tell you up front not really a big fan of the Kubota subs because of how small they really are JD seems to have carved a really good lil niche here in this market. Far as the work lots of FEL box grading and MM mowing. Thanks.

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #2  
The 2320 and 2520 are not truely subcompacts. That would be the 2305. These are the smallest ture compacts that John Deere makes. The are actually smaller in size to the fairly comparable B3030 and B26t30 Kubota's. Also, the 2320 is comparable in size and power to the B7610.

Depending on what you want to do with it, I'd recomend different machines. Both the orange and green in this class are very well made.

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #3  
Just did a quick search, plenty of info to be found on all these models mentioned

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #4  
Dirt Works,

As mentioned, the 2305 is the sub-compact of this group. A few quick differences.

2305 - great mowing machine, low center of gravity, excellent power to weight ratio, good selection of quick-attach attachments. No position control on the 3PH. No factory folding ROPS. Smallish tires (part of that low center of gravity).

2320 - same as the 2305 but with position control on the 3PH and larger tires.

2520 - larger diesel, 2 pumps on the hydraulic system with substancially greater hydraulic flow.

For your two stated uses; box blading and mid mount mowing, any of the three would work. The 2320 and the 2520 with position control on the 3PH will have it easier over the 2305. All three will mow great, but the 2305 will be slightly more maneuverable. Some users have felt the 2320 while mowing on slopes to be less desirable than the 2305 (where the 2320 may need to do this in low-range while the 2305 gets by in high-range). Other than that, I suggest a test-drive is in order. :)

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #5  
JDFanatic:

Great points, here are a few more.

The 2320 has hydraulic pressure 2421 vs 1987 (2320 and 2520 are the same) (Approximately 22% more than the 2305) giving the 2320 the same lifting capacity (Aside from any mechanical differences) as the 2520 - Substantially more than the 2305.

One other note from feedback I've read on this site (I mow with a 2305 and a 3720 cab). Folks seem to report that mowing in high range on the 2320 and 2520 is not very possible except on flat ground. You CAN mow in high range on the 2305 on moderately steep hills and it loves to mow in high on the flats.

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #6  
Having had a 2320 for exactly 3 days - and having done no work with it yet, aside from moving a plow assembly for a Farmall Cub - I'll chime in...

The cycling time of the 200CX leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe it's the cold weather, but even after running if for a half-hour and cycling it over and over, the loader seems 'lethargic.' Certainly compared to my Kubota BX1500. So, from that standpoint, I wonder if the hydraulics of the 2520 + the extra 2hp at the 3-point isn't actually worth the extra money. That said, the published times aren't too far off my old Kubota, so maybe the cold is really affecting the hydraulics more than I'm giving the machine credit for (it's been in the teens since delivery).

Overall, though, please refer to my posting entitled 'how many upgraded before finding the right tractor.' Despite the complaint above, you'll see that I am enamored with the 2320, especially in comparison to the Kubota B7610 that I was shopping it against. On paper, the machines are nearly identical - down to the price (the JD was $188 more), with exception to position control. This is the feature that caused me to even test drive the JD. But man, oh man, the difference. So far, to my eye, every detail about the JD is superior. Thicker steel, better ergonomics (i.e. split brakes you can actually use since they're not on the same side as the hydro), far more comfortable seat... Compare just the folding ROPS. Pull 2 pins on the JD and fold it into exactly the right position to reinsert the pins. 27 sec. ordeal. The Kubota requires pulling two pins, unscrewing the bolts, folding it, but supporting it just right so the bolts line up, screw them in... royal pain! Drive-on mid-mount mower. The entire hood assembly, including sides, lifts up out of the way. Etc, etc. In essence, the 2320 is 'new technology' while the Kubota is at least 7 years old and was recently discontinued. I'll be anxious to see if the B7610 replacement is more like the B3030 - a premium tractor, like the JD.

Sorry to sound like a rant against Kubota. I really loved my BX1500 and would happily have bought another Kubota, had the differences between the B7610 and JD 2320 not been so obvious.

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #7  
I agree with bxowner and orlo. I have a new 2320, just 9 hours so far. Folding ROPS can be taken down without leaving the seat. Position control is a huge feature for me when using the rotary cutter especially when transitioning from flat to steep sections and having to quickly raise and lower the cutter to prevent bottoming out. I had bought the 2320 for cutting my 10 acre hilly field, as well as 1+ acre of lawn which I used to do with a 46" deck Deere L180. I was concerned that it would take longer to mow the lawn because of less manuverability, but I had convinced myself I could live with it. Saturday I cut the lawn for the first time and found that there was only a few very small spots that I could not easily get into with the 2320, and that the hyrdo tran, and power steering made it much quicker to to turn around and actually saved me time overall.

I did find as expected the the 2320 will struggle when mowing up a moderate hill in high gear but on the flats it's fine.

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT
Gents,
Some really good points here, thank you for those! I agree I may have misjudged them by calling them sub compacts but to me the 2305 is a micro compact sorry but it is an oversize lawn tractor.
I went to the dealer today and messed around with the 2320/ and 2520. 2520 just seems to have more bang for the buck than the 2320. The JD dealer here wants to fill the tires, any thoughts on that? I hate carrying that weight all the time, but I know they ride smoother with it. I also have seen the horrors of what it does to the rims, he said they are using some 25 letter word material, I only remember somewhere in there it said alcohol.
Next question for the guys that have one, size of loader bucket; I was leaning toward the 61'', the dealer puts on the 53''. I was also thinking of going with the 20 series 5' box blade.

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #9  
Dirt,

Load the tires with RimGuard and get the 61" bucket and don't look back.

/ NEW JOHN DEERE SUB COMPACT #10  
If I'm not mistaken, I thought the new stuff they use (looks like molasses) doesn't rot the rims. The old stuff (Calcium chloride and water and other stuff) will rust the rim if exposed to air. That's why when using Calcium chloride you want to make sure they get filled completely over the rims.

I'd fill them and I'd also go for the 61" bucket.

'Oversize Lawn Tractor' - "Micro Compact' :( (sniff sniff).. ;) Only kidding.

While the 2305 is physically small, having both a 3720 cab (had a 3320 open) and a 2305 I must say the 2305 is a 'tiny' workhorse. The work you can get out of it for it's size is incredible. It also has respectible PTO power. The hydraulics are slow, but it's got a power to weight ratio higher than any of the Compacts when it's at it's 'working weight'. Sure my 3720 is slick but I'm running a little shy of 6000lbs when I mow my lawn it's a heavy monster (filled tires and I take the bucket off but not the loader frame).. ;) Also mowing you really can't beat the 2305. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really feel I can finish mow faster with the 2305 than I could with either my 3320 or the 3720 with the 72"MMM - Reason is stability and speed. I mow full out in high on the 2305 (About 9mph) and if I occasionally get up to 7 on my 3720 I'm about to bounce over on my roof). The extra 10" of width doesn't make up for the speed I get on the 2305. I am now running an 84" RFM on the 3720 and think I can now beat the 2305 due to a lot of extra width. (I can run the RFM at 4-7mph - Probably around 5.5-6 most of the time).

Anyway, just wanted to defend the 2305's honor... ;)

One other item that's not obvious, the deck height adjustment on the 72"MMM on the 2520 I believe is that like the 3000 series, a non-marked wing nut with a long lead screw. This is not nearly as nice as the quick adjustment knob on the 2305/2320. You can change heights on the 2305/2320 while mowing if you are careful. You need to stop, get off, raise the deck and 'guess' (or count the number of turns of the turn nut) to adjust that on the others.

One other thing I remember hearing is that if you get a BH (Everyone needs a BH ;) I have a BH6000 on my 2305) I think you have to remove the MMM mounts (not just the deck) to mount the BH on the 2520 (not the 2320). I might be wrong on this but I believe I remember reading this here.