Want a New Mowing Machine

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #21  
One more option, the new x749 aws with a diesel and 62 inch cut. JC

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #22  
JESSE1 said:
I talked with my dealer a few days ago. He's used both and likes the ZTR for the speed. He really leans toward a tractor over the ZTR mainly because the tractor rides better and you're somewhat more protected from the dust compared to the ZTR. John Deere is supposed to come out with Estate models of the ZTR mowers that are a different line from what they have now.

I've used everything from Cub Cadet lawn tractors, Kubotas in a variety of sizes and John Deeres from a 455 & 4100 to the 4400 I have now. The 4400 is really too big and will cut up the yard if you turn too sharp but it's been a good tractor. It's a hard decision. I like the 997 because it's a diesel. I don't really want a large gas engine mainly because of the fuel consumption. Of course the price of the diesel compared to the others could buy a lot of fuel. John Deere needs to offer a wide range of diesel models like Kubota does.

Jesse1, the 4400 should be fine if you go to the super turf tires like I did on my 4310. I had the same issue with the front R3s digging in when I made turns, so I looked on ebay and saw a set of superturfs go through an auction without selling. I sent an email to the seller and offered 700 bucks and they said yes. The tires were basically brand new and the seller had switch to R4s so they could do somedirt work and had no use for these and of course the wheels that came with them. No problem at all to cut the lawn now, I can turn where i want and when I want with no fear of digging holes or making ruts.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine
I've had the 4400 for 7 years now. It has R4's but I've learned how to turn without tearing up the grass too bad (wide turns). Just getting ready to try something else, maybe a ZTR or another CUT, not sure yet.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #24  
I'll second the option for an X749. I got mine last week and posted initial results in the lawn and garden area. Check there for more pictures. It has 4WS and All wheel drive such that it adjusts the wheels for turning. Less likely to tear up stuff in turns.

Attachments

• HEL_6995 (Medium).jpg
    HEL_6995 (Medium).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 274
   / Want a New Mowing Machine #25  
Here's the post I just listed under the Lawn & Garden section - in response
to another post.

But, it seemed like a good response to this one also.

I have a D928 with the 61" PowerFold deck. I looked at JD's front
mounts, but their price was a lot! higher.

I have some hefty slopes where the property drops down to the
drainage area and back up to the street.

I have the twin-wheel tail-wheels (two wheels per side) and
negotiating slopes has never been a problem (wet or dry).

I REALLY like the front mounted deck; fold it upwards and
you can easily clean under the deck; change blades; and so forth.

A really nice feature of Grasshopper's front mounts is the
ability to use different implements on the front.

At this time, the deck is stored away and the rotary broom is
mounted. I used to use the JD 4115 FEL which I later traded in for
a 3520 w/ FEL.

My son has to pull his car out of the garage so we can get the grasshopper
out. By the time he's backed out; wait for the Grasshopper to get out;
and then pull back it - the 67' driveway portion is almost done -
the first pass on one side is completed and I've almost completed doing
the second pass (on the other side of the driveway). AND snow
is cleared away to the pavement - unlike using the FEL.

My youngest managed a LCO and he 'ragged' about how he didn't like
the Grasshopper's rear sticky out so far - compared to a SCAG ZTR.
But after using the Grasshopper this season; seeing how handy the
fold-up deck is; and how quickly and cleanly it clears snow -
he told me I made a darn good decision buying the Grasshopper.

I wish the Grasshopper diesel was a YANMAR direct injection vs.
KUBOTA's indirect injection diesel. But, it's runs great and starts
even when it's colder than....

Now, the 3520 sits in the garage waiting for the BIG snow to
hit or the really wet/heavy stuff to fall; otherwise, it's a job
for the Grasshopper.

And I'm definitely a JD man! But, the Grasshopper is awfully
handy.

Merry Christmas,

Lon

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #26  
JESSE1 said:
I looked closer at the attachments for the 2520 and it does show a 60 and 72" rear finish mower. I like the idea of the zero-turn mower but I've heard they ride a lot rougher than a tractor plus you get more dust from the zero-turn than the tractor. Probably not much difference in cost between the two.
You'll have much less seat time in the zero turn if mowing several hours a week, but I like the versatility of the tractor. BTW 2-3 hours with the zero's and your on your way to mastering the sticks.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #27  
I love my zeroturn, it has a kawasaki engine, and a 50"cut. I guess the only complaint is you have to stop to take a drink.
If you have a lot of corners to do a ztr isthe anwser.i have a 7' finish mower but i honestly found it takes about the same time to do the yard[ i cut about 5 acres] with either machine, the only difference is changing machines, what i mean is if i am on the tractor i get so far then jump on the zero and finish up around the trees and the septic bed. if i just use the ztr it does the whole job..
It is quick and does a nice job. i did alot of research on the Kaw engine, it turns out to be a nice engine, i even talk to a JD he said don't buy the JD ztr with the briggs engine the Kaw engine will last 10 years longer.
I like the CC and half the price for the JD it was an easy choice for me.
Shane 19411871-401e-405e-b4f5-470a3c700112_4 (Small).jpg

/ Want a New Mowing Machine
Thanks for all the suggestions. As much as I would like a ZTR mower, I probably will end up with another CUT. Over the years we've had Cub Cadets, Kubotas and John Deeres. The first JD was a 455 diesel, then a 4100. I traded the 4100 for the 4400 thinking I could do more with the 4400. I've ended up mainly using the 4400 for yard mowing. When I do trade it will be for something more compact and easier on the yard.

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #29  
rtdiggr said:
I love my zeroturn, it has a kawasaki engine, and a 50"cut. I guess the only complaint is you have to stop to take a drink.
If you have a lot of corners to do a ztr isthe anwser.i have a 7' finish mower but i honestly found it takes about the same time to do the yard[ i cut about 5 acres] with either machine, the only difference is changing machines, what i mean is if i am on the tractor i get so far then jump on the zero and finish up around the trees and the septic bed. if i just use the ztr it does the whole job..
It is quick and does a nice job. i did alot of research on the Kaw engine, it turns out to be a nice engine, i even talk to a JD he said don't buy the JD ztr with the briggs engine the Kaw engine will last 10 years longer.
I like the CC and half the price for the JD it was an easy choice for me.
Shane View attachment 91916

Actually no you don't, just get one of those drinking units that you can wear on your head and just do not knock down too many bears!

/ Want a New Mowing Machine #30  
Nuru said:
Actually no you don't, just get one of those drinking units that you can wear on your head and just do not knock down too many bears!

Brilliant:D :D :D Shane