Dealer Dealer cost

/ Dealer cost #1  

John Weaver

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 JD 790
Has anyone used the tractorcost.com web site to get dealer cost on tractors or equipment? Do you think it is accurate (based on your knowledge)? The charge of $75.00 sounds expensive for the service. John.

/ Dealer cost #2  
John, I have not used, and currently have no intentions of using it. The price for the service seems a little high to me, too. And it really doesn't matter much to me what the dealer cost is; all I want to know is what he'll sell it to me for (and I know he has to make a profit or he won't be there long). And since it's easy to get a price from more than one dealer, I figure that's all I really need to know.

Bird

/ Dealer cost #3  
John Deere has a lot of room to work in their list prices. Several dealers dropped 20% to get selling price. There is a web site with John Deere prices, but they are considerably higher than local prices in North Texas. I believe you will be much better off just going and talking to several dealers and then deciding on exactly where you are on price. I am sure the amount of mark up is somewhat dependent on the tractor series. I was looking at the 10 series - but bought a Kubota.

/ Dealer cost #4  
Guess that wasn't the question you asked. I thought the $75 was way too high for me. If it had been $10, I would have sent him the money just to see what the cost was, but I really don't think it would make much difference in the final price paid.

/ Dealer cost #5  
I have never used the service, nor would I. I walked in dealerships armed with firm price quotes. First off, like cars, the invoice price is not the actual price. Don't account for factory incentives, dealer volume discounts, etc. According to 'invoices', I paid less for my cars than the dealer did. Sure. And I really do want my dealership to stay in business. Don't do me much good to by a tractor one day, return for service the next and find they closed their doors!