Real world feed back on 3000 series

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series #1  

Lil43

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere,4300
Hi All
I,m looking for some real world feed back on JD 3000 series CUT,s the 3520 in particular,but any model will do especially after some hours have been logged.I have a 2000 year model 4300 sycreverser that slightly less than thrilled with.I purchased it new figureing that it would be the last tractor I would own (since it doesn,t really recieve heavy usage).It has been pampered probably more than a tractor should be,at it,s current hours (only about 350) all fluids have been changed once and engine oil has been changed five times,its always been garaged and even gets polished at least twice per year.I am the only operator ,my point being its had a very easy life for tractor.Though its never really needed any serious repair it has what I believe to be the common ailments found in 4000 series JD,s.First the shifting linkage is terrible,the levers seem to flex within a inch of their life everytime you shift to another gear.The shuttle lever can be rather obstinate,I,ve adjust it several times and even removed one of the detent pins inside the dash,now you can move it OK but reverse doesn,t always "take" sometimes you have to move back to neutral then back to reverse.The 3ph likes to cycle when carrying a load,and the loader valveing gets sticky spots ,not the handle not moving (thats fine ) just no movement,mostly tilt.The tractor is in pristine condition and I cant believe I,m considering trading (especially since its been paid for for six years).I am now considering a 3520 ,gear model (not a fan of hydro,s or ELECTRONICS)and would like some feedback so I dont end up in my current situation again.Thanks in advance for any feed back.
Jeff

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series #2  
Upgrade and never look back. These new tractors are better than ever. You will get good resale out of your 4300.

D.

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series #3  
I suggest you look at the 990. It's definitely simpler then the 3520 and, all the new Deeres have electronics. The 3520 has a power-reverser (which I think is sweet...tried on out on a 3320).
The 990 might be new, but it's a solid old design...might fit you better. It's tranny is a 9x3 sync-shift.

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series
I looked at the 990 a couple of years ago.I like the simplicity but its just too big (physically not power wise)for my needs.When I bought mine I looked at the 790 for same reason but the hydraulics were weak compared to the 4300 and big part of what I use my tractor for is moving stuff around.The 4300 mechanically seems solid (for the most part)but in an attempt to add creature comfort JD (in my opinion) sacrificed the reliability of the controls levers ,linkages,exc.I know the new(too me anyways)Powereverser now uses a electric over hydraulic actuater for the shuttle,at least it doesn,t have the Ehydro computer with auto style cruise and loadmatch that will override what I want if the computer decides.What I am really looking for is feedback from operators/owners of 3000 series machines to see if JD has really remedied the issues the 4000,s had and not created new ones.
Thanks Jeff

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series #5  
Not sure what issues you are referring to but I have a 3720 ehydro w/cab with 70 hrs and have had zero problems to date. I really like the tractor.

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series #6  
Lil43 said:
I looked at the 990 a couple of years ago.I like the simplicity but its just too big (physically not power wise)for my needs.When I bought mine I looked at the 790 for same reason but the hydraulics were weak compared to the 4300 and big part of what I use my tractor for is moving stuff around.The 4300 mechanically seems solid (for the most part)but in an attempt to add creature comfort JD (in my opinion) sacrificed the reliability of the controls levers ,linkages,exc.I know the new(too me anyways)Powereverser now uses a electric over hydraulic actuater for the shuttle,at least it doesn,t have the Ehydro computer with auto style cruise and loadmatch that will override what I want if the computer decides.What I am really looking for is feedback from operators/owners of 3000 series machines to see if JD has really remedied the issues the 4000,s had and not created new ones.
Thanks Jeff

Is the 3x20 going to be too big. I thought the 990 and 3x20 were pretty close in size. I would have to look at one side by side.

The e-hyrdo stuff seems very figured out. It is everywhere, I doubt you would ever wear one out.

I don't have any direct experience with the 3x20, but from a new geez whiz aspect I have a 4720 that I am coming up on 3 yrs with it. It has e-hydro, etc. I have 205 hours on it as of yesterday. The only problem I have had with it is the gas filler door is a cap design.

I have a 5525 I have had for 2 years and ti has 340 hours on it. No real problems except a blow speaker, and the mechanical AC switch in the cab went out.

Can you get the dealer to let you demo a 3x20?

D.

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series
ddivinia said:
Is the 3x20 going to be too big. I thought the 990 and 3x20 were pretty close in size. I would have to look at one side by side.

The e-hyrdo stuff seems very figured out. It is everywhere, I doubt you would ever wear one out.

I don't have any direct experience with the 3x20, but from a new geez whiz aspect I have a 4720 that I am coming up on 3 yrs with it. It has e-hydro, etc. I have 205 hours on it as of yesterday. The only problem I have had with it is the gas filler door is a cap design.

I have a 5525 I have had for 2 years and ti has 340 hours on it. No real problems except a blow speaker, and the mechanical AC switch in the cab went out.

Can you get the dealer to let you demo a 3x20?

D.

The 990 is not at the same power level but is the same chassis size as the 4x20 series and this is also my lawnmower,and as previously stated I,m not interested in an Ehydro cab tractor,gear tractor feedback is what I was looking for but it looks like nobody owns them.thanks anyway

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series #8  
Lil43 said:
The 990 is not at the same power level but is the same chassis size as the 4x20 series and this is also my lawnmower,and as previously stated I,m not interested in an Ehydro cab tractor,gear tractor feedback is what I was looking for but it looks like nobody owns them.thanks anyway

I really didn't think the 990 is as big frame wise as my 4720, but oh well.

Also, you might take note that most people aren't buying the power reverser in those models. I believe the 3320 and 3520 are the only non-e-hyrdo models available. What is the aversion to the hydro?

D.

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series #9  
Hmmm.... had problems with a sync reverser in a previous model...... Downing the EHydro, which is buy far the most proven transmission.... wants to go and get another sync reverser / Power Reverser. Especially for mowing! Doesn't make a lot of sense to me... but oh well to each his own......

Like Divinna said, they pretty much have them figured out. I've racked up a lot of hours on various JD Hydro Machines, and actually working them and have never had a problem with one.

/ Real world feed back on 3000 series #10  
ddivinia said:
I believe the 3320 and 3520 are the only non-e-hyrdo models available. What is the aversion to the hydro?

D.

Good Question: What is your aversion to the hydro? Did somebody that thinks they know a lot about tractors talk you out of it or something?