Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #1  

hodoms

Tractor
John Deere 3320
I went to the dealer and test-drove the 2520 today and I'm ready to buy but I have a few concerns. First I drove it on slopes similar to my property and it seemed like it had plenty of power in high gear but many have been complaining about the high gear having zero power but I will add that I did not have the mower engaged. Do any of you think I had no problem because the mower was not engaged? I hate to get it home and engage the mower only to find that all surplus power is gone and it will no make up my gentle slopping property (not very steep at all but has slopes) in high gear because mowering in low gear is a deal breaker. I also thought the seat was crappy like on the 2210. Does Deere offer a premium seat for the 2520? Will the 2520 lift high enough to dump into a standard dump truck? Does anybody know if Deere offers a grapple for it? Also, how much does the 2520 lift, Deere claims 1277 but I find that hard to believe at full height. Does anybody know how much the 2520 will lift at FULL height? Hard to believe a 1865 pound tractor will lift 1277 to full height. I have seen many people post that the 2210 are small but the 2520 did not seem any bigger to me. Actually it seems like a 2210 with bigger tires. Which I like because it is easier to trailer but it seemed a lot bigger than the 2210 into I step onto it. I will be bulldozing a small rental house of 700 sq feet will the 2520 be enough tractor to load the stuff left after the dozer break it up a little. I will be loading the stuff into a very big dumpster will the 2520 be enough tractor or should hire it out to someone with bigger equipment. I welcome everyone opinion on the step up from the 2210 to the 2520. The tractor will mainly be mowering for now but in the future when I get some more land I plan on buying a 5-foot rotary cutter.

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #2  
HODOMS You have a lot of questions, see if I can answer some. First my tractor in high range is only good for transport. Many say the same no power. I heard one could mow in high range on level ground. Deere should have made low to high ranges closer. The 3000 series has a med. range and is much better. Second, there is only one seat, yeah its a dandy, suspension seat would be nice, another advantage of the 3000 series. Third, the grapple I dont think they offer that. Forth the lift capacity, they will lift alot, I have a 53" bucket and can lift full bucket of dirt or gravel easy. My rear tires are filled and always have about 500-800 lbs. on the 3pt. I went from a 2210 to 2520 and there is a big size difference. Will it dump into a dump truck, if its a 2 ton or bigger I would say no. A local town has a JD3320 and has a single axle state truck and can clear sides but not the middle of truck. Sounds like you might want to step up to the 3000 series. More lift cap, suspension seats, and more hydraulics, there might be a grapple option also. They also have a 72" belly mower that they use. Hope I helped someway.

Dennis

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #3  
hodoms said:
I went to the dealer and test-drove the 2520 today and I'm ready to buy but I have a few concerns. First I drove it on slopes similar to my property and it seemed like it had plenty of power in high gear but many have been complaining about the high gear having zero power but I will add that I did not have the mower engaged. Do any of you think I had no problem because the mower was not engaged? I hate to get it home and engage the mower only to find that all surplus power is gone and it will no make up my gentle slopping property (not very steep at all but has slopes) in high gear because mowering in low gear is a deal breaker. I also thought the seat was crappy like on the 2210. Does Deere offer a premium seat for the 2520? Will the 2520 lift high enough to dump into a standard dump truck? Does anybody know if Deere offers a grapple for it? Also, how much does the 2520 lift, Deere claims 1277 but I find that hard to believe at full height. Does anybody know how much the 2520 will lift at FULL height? Hard to believe a 1865 pound tractor will lift 1277 to full height. I have seen many people post that the 2210 are small but the 2520 did not seem any bigger to me. Actually it seems like a 2210 with bigger tires. Which I like because it is easier to trailer but it seemed a lot bigger than the 2210 into I step onto it. I will be bulldozing a small rental house of 700 sq feet will the 2520 be enough tractor to load the stuff left after the dozer break it up a little. I will be loading the stuff into a very big dumpster will the 2520 be enough tractor or should hire it out to someone with bigger equipment. I welcome everyone opinion on the step up from the 2210 to the 2520. The tractor will mainly be mowering for now but in the future when I get some more land I plan on buying a 5-foot rotary cutter.

Hi Hodoms , I have owned a 2520 for a season and I will do my best to try and help you with some of your questions. I have been able to cut in high on sloped land. With that said cutting in low at full speed is still a quality speed.

In regards to the seat, it is crappy IMO. The build quality is fine but for whatever reason the seat feels like arse. Some users say they love the feel of the seat. Everyone will have different taste due to body sizing/mass etc. If during your test runs you noted the **** feel like crap, it will not get better. In the end the seat is a small detail which can be changed if you really feel the need.

Now when it comes to lifting, ( I do alot of pallet lifting off the back of a 53" foot trailers and bought the bradco pallet attachment) I am going to say no way in **** will this tractor lift 1277 at full lift. I honestly don't see this tractor lifting 1200 lbs much over a few feet at best.

Some users have tried to say they lift 1500 to 2000 lbs. That is false. For starters the biggest pallets I pull off the back of a 53" footer ( lets say 5 feet high off the ground) are excatly 725lbs. And this 2520 really and I mean really, really, struggles to get that 725lbs pallet off the back of the truck. It is a job that is done very slowly. With that said, 725lbs load plus the weight of Bradco ( just balling parking I would say 250 to 300lbs maybe someone can chime in on the weight of Bradco?) Lets say 1000 lbs, at 1000 lbs this tractor has nothing left at the 5 foot height range. At this point I have lifted about 100 skids in total at 725lbs. and it's always done with alot of caution.

If this turns into a huge debate, ( I have a feeling it will) that last bit of proof I have was in the summer I was moving pallets with bricks around the yard. I was sort of surprised how little the pile of bricks the 2520 could move per run, brick does add up tho so anyway I kept adding bricks until it could no longer budge. I was able to get it to the point 1 brick extra it could not lift and 1 brick less it could lift. I still have that pallet of bricks in the yard. I just need to weight up a brick, count the numbers of bricks on the pallet and do simple math. This will give me to the lbs lifting capacity.

Without going into all that 1000 lbs is max. if you ask me, and I speak from real life use.

In the end it's a great tractor and you will be happy with your purchase. You just need to remember it's an entry level series of tractor from John Deere. Expecting it to do the same speed/power/jobs of the big full size tractors is asking alot. If you need a smaller type of machine with decent power to do things you will be fine, you will find the 2520 has plenty of punch and good power. Just remember a 2520 is what it is. For most every day use around the farm, house acerage etc. you should be fine.

Good luck and enjoy the machine.

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #4  
Regarding the operating in high range on slopes, I can tell you that mine can barely be transported at speed up any slope between 4 to 8 degrees. At 10 degrees or more, it gets shifted to low. As the slope gets greater, it will slow or bog the engine. To get the most transport speed up this hill, I have to back off to keep the rpms up. So, it has to do with how much power is available. The higher rpms the more power available.

But, keep in mind this. Mine has the 200CX installed, plus the RB1172, plus filled rear tires at about 200 lbs each. This is almost twice the weight of the empty tractor. So, if you are driving a tractor on the lot without filled tires, without a 3ph implement, or FEL, then it will naturally need much less power to scale a hill. Therefore, it may seem just fine moving up a steeper slope in high range.

HP is work per unit time. Therefore, keeping the slope and distance the same, by doubling the weight it will take twice the work to move it from point A to point B. If you have the same HP available, it will take twice as long.

If you want to do the same work faster, you will need to have more HP.

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but
I have to ask this one last question does the 62D or the 72 mmm fit the tractor better. I know deere list both as options but is the 72 mmm a little too big. I'm looking for real world advice not on a golf course because what if a go a couple weeks in the spring without cutting the grass, the 2210 with 62c would simply chew through the grass no matter the height (might shoot black smoke then keeps mowing). Will 2520 have ample power running a huge 72 inch deck or should I stick with 62D if I decide to buy.

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #6  
JDCAN said:
Hi Hodoms , I have owned a 2520 for a season and I will do my best to try and help you with some of your questions. I have been able to cut in high on sloped land. With that said cutting in low at full speed is still a quality speed.

In regards to the seat, it is crappy IMO. The build quality is fine but for whatever reason the seat feels like arse. Some users say they love the feel of the seat. Everyone will have different taste due to body sizing/mass etc. If during your test runs you noted the **** feel like crap, it will not get better. In the end the seat is a small detail which can be changed if you really feel the need.

Now when it comes to lifting, ( I do alot of pallet lifting off the back of a 53" foot trailers and bought the bradco pallet attachment) I am going to say no way in **** will this tractor lift 1277 at full lift. I honestly don't see this tractor lifting 1200 lbs much over a few feet at best.

Some users have tried to say they lift 1500 to 2000 lbs. That is false. For starters the biggest pallets I pull off the back of a 53" footer ( lets say 5 feet high off the ground) are excatly 725lbs. And this 2520 really and I mean really, really, struggles to get that 725lbs pallet off the back of the truck. It is a job that is done very slowly. With that said, 725lbs load plus the weight of Bradco ( just balling parking I would say 250 to 300lbs maybe someone can chime in on the weight of Bradco?) Lets say 1000 lbs, at 1000 lbs this tractor has nothing left at the 5 foot height range. At this point I have lifted about 100 skids in total at 725lbs. and it's always done with alot of caution.

If this turns into a huge debate, ( I have a feeling it will) that last bit of proof I have was in the summer I was moving pallets with bricks around the yard. I was sort of surprised how little the pile of bricks the 2520 could move per run, brick does add up tho so anyway I kept adding bricks until it could no longer budge. I was able to get it to the point 1 brick extra it could not lift and 1 brick less it could lift. I still have that pallet of bricks in the yard. I just need to weight up a brick, count the numbers of bricks on the pallet and do simple math. This will give me to the lbs lifting capacity.

Without going into all that 1000 lbs is max. if you ask me, and I speak from real life use.

In the end it's a great tractor and you will be happy with your purchase. You just need to remember it's an entry level series of tractor from John Deere. Expecting it to do the same speed/power/jobs of the big full size tractors is asking alot. If you need a smaller type of machine with decent power to do things you will be fine, you will find the 2520 has plenty of punch and good power. Just remember a 2520 is what it is. For most every day use around the farm, house acerage etc. you should be fine.

I ant going to go though all this again. it ant worth it.
if you are struggleing to get 725 pallet pallet off a truck.
you need to go have your presure checked, cause
something ant right.....:rolleyes:

Chris...:cool:

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #7  
Hodoms , here is what the machine can do. if its working right.
this pipe bender weighs 1860. it is only 6 inches up right now.
will it go all the way. heck no.
it lifted it to about 2 feet before the relief kicked in. but my tires are
not loaded. and at 2 feet. even with the hoe on. i could not get off the tractor without it noesing over. so i had to lower it back down to take the picture. I dont recommend doing this. but i needed to move it. and i did. i just wanted show you what a 2520 working right can do. 725 as the other fellow said is a joke:rolleyes: . thay can tell you , I can show you....;)

Chris..:)

20070514190004aafb8.jpg

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #8  
Thats a sweet pic. Chris! I was able to pick up was a 18 hp Simplicity Sunstar without a deck with my old JD 2210 just high enough to carry and the 2520 will lift way more than the 2210.

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #9  
thanks newt92. you are right 2520 will lift alot more.
i just wanted to show the man. the real deal.
just cause someone has a troubled machine. that most certainly
is not fuctioning properly. I dont want people to get wrong info.

The gentleman that started this thread. can click my name
and check all my posts. and click that other fella and check
all his post. then come to his own conclution. who knows
what there talking about....;)

Chris.....:)

/ Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but #10  
The first thing we have to think about with regards to the lift capacity is where the weight is positioned on the forks or in the bucket. If you have the weight close to the loader arms it will lift much more and easier than if the weight is farther out.

John

JDCAN said: