What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #1  

CT Yankee

Tractor
John Deere 3320
Thanks for the advice on the tires...I'm going with the R4's.

As far the the e-hydro vs. a traditional gear drive...what is the record on the hydros. Is it as durable and will it stand up over time. I hope to have my 3320 for many years. In your opinion, any chance that the hydros will live to be antique JD tractors someday?

Mike

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #2  
Hydro's have been around tractors, lawn mowers and combines for 30 years. They are a proven product. I have a JD 3320 with the E-hydro, I have an X-mark zero turn mower that has a hydro on each wheel as do all zero turns, I have had Cub Cadets with hydro-s for 20 years. All combines have them that have been manufactured in the last 25 years. It is the only way to go for a mower or compact tractor, especially if your main work will be with a loader or mower. The only exception to a hydro would be for hard pulling tillage work, then I would recommend a gear drive. It seems you loose a little power to the wheels in heavy pulling.

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #3  
As far as the mechanical aspect, probably no problem...the electronics (and replacement parts) might be a problem in the future.

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #4  
RoyJackson said:
the electronics (and replacement parts) might be a problem in the future.

What makes you think that? Just curious!!

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #5  
I recently bought a 3520 e-hydro . I hope to pass it down to the next generation. How long do you folks think J.D. will carry parts for them, I'm hoping 25 yrs plus.
Scott :)

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #6  
Branded said:
What makes you think that? Just curious!!

Electronics are obsoleted so quickly...and the techs being trained are on the current stuff. 10, 15years down the road, it might be tough to find the components and folks to work on or troubleshoot them.
Just my opinion...

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #7  
Roy
The techs at my local GM dealership are still working on the cars that came out in the mid 70s. Electronics are still available for them. I dont think Deere will discountinue making parts for the older electronic tractors. I think that would kill their sales.

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #8  
Over the last 35 years I have seen great changes in heavy equipment. This holds true for the CUT's also. The electrical components get more advanced and complicated with every model change. Anymore 9 times out of 10 when a machine breaks down it is usually an electrical problem rather than a component failure. Sometimes it can cause major headaches to trace them down, even with a professional mechanic reading an electrical schematic that you can't even dream of what it looks like. I would say as long as the wiring holds up for that 25 year life and beyond you want out of your tractor and barring deterioration,mice,electrical shorts and bad connections. You might get a long service out of your ehydro's.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #9  
The mechanical part of the hydro are pretty simple and robust in good machines like ours. The E part is the issue and I agree with Roy that we just don't know. I will add that my 02 4310 has been a fantastic tractor, but a solenoid and block controlling the trans broke a few months ago, costing about $300 at the dealer. I do not believe it was the E part of the solenoid, but rather the little valve that it controls is what actually broke, so the E part wasn't the issue. I also pulled a wire underneath the tractor a few years ago and it took me and a freind 3 days to read the 4" thick service manual to figure it out, but in the end it was just a pulled wire. Keep in mind I drive mine right through thick woods over everything. All that being said, for sure the E's can and will be more problematic than gear units, but I wouldn't trade the E-hyro's versitility for anything, even if it cost me down the road.
My neighbor bought the same tractor as me at the same time, except he got the gear. He now wishes he had the E-hydro.

/ What's the record on E-Hydro - 3320 #10  
Chris, since you and your neighbour have the same tractor, but in different transmissions. How about hooking them drawbar to drawbar and give all us TBNer's some real World info as to how gear vs. hydro turns out in a pull off! I know I am die'n to know as are a lot of other members.

Sincerely, Dirt

Last edited: