Buying Advice Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in

/ Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in #1  

fgross335_2210

Gold Member
Tractor
2210, 355D, 1950 Model B
I would appreciate input from all TBNer's.

Looking to go from two JD's to one. I have a 355 JD with 400 hrs, 54" deck, 42" snowthrower. I also have a 2210 JD with 250 hrs, 210 Loader, 62" deck. I mow 4 wide-open acres in summer, bush-hog another 2 with the 2210 and a 4 ft rotary, and maintain a 500 ft driveway in the winter. Use the loader for firewood, mulch and occasional dirt-moving duties. We mow with both tractors in the summer, but mainly the 2210. The winter chores are equal between the 355/blower and the 2210/loader, but only because the 2210 also has a 5 ft rear blade which sometimes works better for wet snow.

I'm thinking of moving up to a 2520 with the 47" blower, 72" deck and 200CX loader, and a 6 ft bb with hyd angle. Looks like I would gain cruise control, more power, faster cutting and a smoother ride due to the larger tires. I can reuse my 4 ft rotary cutter, quick hitch and other misc accessories.

Why go from 2 to 1? 2 tractors = 2 sets of mower blades to sharpen, 2 oil changes every fall, switching 2 tractors over in the spring and fall, etc. Chains go on the 355 every fall and I switch out the turfs for the bars on the 2210. More space in the garage for 2 tractors, 2 mower decks, etc. Awesome when we mow or do snow removal with both tractors, but for the most part my son mows during the day so one tractor or the other sits most of the time. (Yes I miss the seat time...but he will be off to college in 4 years.)

Questions:

- Other than a larger size, turning radius and weight, any drawbacks to the 2520 for mowing versus the 2210? Not sure how the cutting height control is acheived on the 2520. I already have a folding rops on the 2210 and have very few low-hanging branches.

- I am in West Michigan with 4-5 large dealers within 60 miles or so. Do I even attempt to trade either tractor or should I just go with the 36 month financing and put everything up for sale? Was thinking of requesting bids from all the dealers, with or without trades, to see what responses I get. I bought the 355 used and the 2210 was a 40th birthday present from my wife so I have not really had to negotiate with the JD dealers before. Trade, sell or what? Is there any way to get an idea on what the value of these units are without talking to the dealer?

I'm thinking the 2520 would be a nice step up from the 2210. Sometimes when using the loader the hydraulics are really slow, and more weight would be nice at times. (I have a "country yard" so more weight is not a "turf" issue.) I added an X series suspension seat and I think the 2520 would be similiarly equipped right from the get go. Anything else I should consider in comparing the two?

Probably the best part - I mentioned this to the wife and she thought it was a good idea! What's up with that? Like I was going to ask her! I just said "great" and got out of there as fast as I could!

Thanks guys!!!!

/ Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in #2  
In June 2006 I purchased a country property with a couple of acres, house and heated shed. At that moment spending 000's of $$$$ to cut grass and remove snow was not a priority, so I bought a Craftsman Garden Tractor with 54" deck. The snow problem was solved one day when I spotted a used Honda 6522 with dozer blade and was able to purchase it cheap.

With a grass and snow solution in place I was able to spend from summer 2006 to November 2007 researching equipment specs & pricing, visiting dealers, test driving various CUT's and reading a lot of threads here on TBN.

In the JD camp initially, I looked at 2305, 2320 & 2520. Many posters have purchased these machines and have stated how happy they are with their choice. Many have said these machines have done everything they have asked. However, the more I read posts on these three units I started to detect an underlying theme. "I love my (2305, 2320 2520) BUT.........."

One reads of ground clearance issues, fan issues, tire clearance issues, MMM issues, seat issues, FEL capacity issues, two speed transmission issues etc.

To make a long story short, I started to look at the 3x20 series and ordered a 3320 in late November. Dealer is doing final PDI at this time, so have not had any seat time yet.

Is a 3320 more tractor than I "need" ? - most probably! However, I didn't seem the detect that same "BUT" theme from 3x20 posters, except for a few comments regarding being "tippy". Compared to the 2520 I'm getting greater capacity in the tractor, mower, FEL and Backhoe, more features and only about $4K more cost. I figured $4K upfront, for something that may be more than I need is a lot cheaper than buying something, becoming disenchanted and then trying to trade up in a short time. Been there - done that before.

Anyway, what works for me may not work for you, however, don't rule out looking at the 3x20 series for your situation.

/ Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in
CinderSchnauzer,

I hadn't really considered a 3 series but that is good advice. One of my local dealers has 2X and 3X machines in stock; I'll check them both out.

My 2210 has the vulnerable transmission cooling fan; luckily I have never run any sticks/brush into it. Pretty sure the 2520 does not have this issue; but I will be checking (yes I worry about it whenever I bush hog or do HD loader work like moving dirt....).

Thanks!

/ Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in #4  
fgross335_2210 said:

- I am in West Michigan with 4-5 large dealers within 60 miles or so. Do I even attempt to trade either tractor or should I just go with the 36 month financing and put everything up for sale? Was thinking of requesting bids from all the dealers, with or without trades, to see what responses I get. I bought the 355 used and the 2210 was a 40th birthday present from my wife so I have not really had to negotiate with the JD dealers before. Trade, sell or what? Is there any way to get an idea on what the value of these units are without talking to the dealer?

I would pay a visit (in person) to the dealers in your area and see what they will do. You can bring pics of the 355 and 2210 (or load them on a trailer and bring them if you have that opportunity available to you). Talk to them and see what they will do.

Check out machinefinder.com to get prices on units like this in your area - remember that these are from dealers. If your trade doesn't align (remember to take tax into account; you don't pay tax on the trade value) and you feel confident that these are good quality units (i.e. not going to break down in 3 hours and come back to bite you) then I would not hesitate to sell them yourself.

Give the dealers a chance first - that's my advice. :)

Scott

Scott,

Yes, both tractors are in great shape, would not hesitate to sell either to a friend. I hadn't thought about machinefinder for prices; but now that you mention it I did look at prices for 355's when I purchased mine a couple of years ago. Thank you for the idea!

Fred

/ Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in #6  
Most of the time, selling yourself will be better. You just have to have enough patience to do it. I usually don't. JC

/ Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in #7  
fgross335_2210 said:

- Other than a larger size, turning radius and weight, any drawbacks to the 2520 for mowing versus the 2210? Not sure how the cutting height control is acheived on the 2520. I already have a folding rops on the 2210 and have very few low-hanging branches.

-------

First of all - you are thinking right. Do it and don't look back.

Machinefinder.com and ebay for values.

I'm thinking the 2520 would be a nice step up from the 2210. Sometimes when using the loader the hydraulics are really slow, and more weight would be nice at times.
----

I had a 2210 - the hyrdaulics are rather weak compared to the 2520.

Also, you won't miss the 2210 3 pt position control or lack there of.

(I have a "country yard" so more weight is not a "turf" issue.) I added an X series suspension seat and I think the 2520 would be similiarly equipped right from the get go. Anything else I should consider in comparing the two?

Probably the best part - I mentioned this to the wife and she thought it was a good idea! What's up with that? Like I was going to ask her! I just said "great" and got out of there as fast as I could!
----

You are on the right path. Worse case you could keep the smaller mower around and jsut sell the 2210. The reality is it wont get used. Get the 2520 and enjoy it.

What tires are you going with?

D.

D -

.....about the tires - that is another good question. I have both turfs and bars for the 2210. Turfs are on for mowing, bars go on for the winter. I have also used the bars for heavy loader work and the traction improvement is tremendous. But...I'm not real crazy about getting 2 sets of wheels/tires for the 2520, and therefore thinking of going with the R4 ind. tires. From what I have read on TBN the R4's fit better/less rubbing and should give me adequate traction for ground-engaging work.

Thanks!

/ Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in #9  
Fred--were you thinking of getting a MMM or a RFM? If your mowing really is wide open the RFM may make more sense in the long run--less time to swap between mowing and using the LX-4 (I would still get a quote to trade that in on an LX-5 or equivalent BTW) and you would eliminate the entire "independent lift" debate/issue/question.

/ Looking for advice; 355/2210 out; 2520 in #10  
Oh, and definitely look to sell the extra rims w/bars on craigslist or something like that--I doubt the dealers would give you much for trade value on those (you could even put them up for sale now). I think that trade-ins just make the whole process easier--over and done with, no worries about a buyer coming back in a week with problems etc.--sure you may "lose" a couple of bucks but you're on your new machine with no worries about will the old sell today or not for a couple of weeks etc. The dealer may also price differently for you with trade-ins than a straight purchase--and there are tax implications as well.