Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series

/ Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series #21  
Get the x it is built well and will last. As for the wheels up grade to the next model. I had a LX280 a few years ago, great tractor and well built.

/ Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series #22  
BMWBig6 said:
Thanks for all the info guys.

So what were your impressions after checking both out?

I just came back from the dealer again and compared as much of the hardware as I could. The controls on the X300 were superior, and I liked that the engine shroud covered the entire motor (the LA has 2 open corners where dust and grime can build up). Did I like the X300 better? Sure. Was it (visibly) $1000 better? Well if it was, I probably would have posted "just came home with my new X300!" but obviously I'm still on the fence. :) I guess 2 extra years of warranty are worth something too though.

*Sigh* Decisions, decisions. :eek:

One more dumb question. I really like the look of the larger 22" rear tires (on 12" wheels), but didn't have a chance to drive that one to compare any differences in ride quality or control. Are they really better or just cosmetic? Seems like the standard 8" wheel with 20" tire has more sidewall that could act as cushioning. So wouldn't it be more comfortable riding over bumps, etc.? The 1" smaller tires in front would seem easier to turn too.​

The larger rears offer more/better traction.
I had a Lawn tractor with the smaller 20'' tires and that thing would get hung up crossing its own shadow.
Did you ever get off the fence?

/ Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series #23  
Hey everyone. First Post.

I'm in the middle of the same dilemma. I need something for mowing, and a small amount of hauling. The difference is that I need to have a snow blower and mow around 2-3 acres. The mowing is all basically flat, but will include >50% rough grass and weeds. I'm not looking at finish mowing all of that either. Just maintaining it. I will be maintaining around 500 trees in the windbreak but can do alot with a hand held brushcutter.

All of this makes me think that I need the X series. Bigger, tougher, longer life. I just don't think I can afford the jump. Having a snowblower makes these much more expensive.

Can an LA stand up to blowing 140' driveway at least a couple dozen times a year, and 3 acres of rough cutting? Would I just wear it out after the 2 years are up?

I also have looked over all of them in the dealership. Easy to see that the X series is nicer, but is it necessary? I know... everyone asks the same thing... you have tried to answer this before. I have read many of the other threads on this exact thing. I have also been looking at other companies as well. That doesn't make it any easier.

Older used models like a JD318 are always options, but I have no experience with maintaining/fixing tractors, not to mention no space/tools. There are several guys in my general area that rebuild older models and resell them so I can get them fairly easy from $2800-$6000, depending on model and attachments.

I just can't make a purchase of this size without making sure that it is the right choice.

/ Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series
Just to update everyone on my decision, I found a new (leftover) 2007 x304 with the K58 transmission. Picked up a mulch kit, 48" plug aerator, and 17p cart too. Used the aerator last night and cut the grass over the weekend, so far it's been great. I really enjoy the 4WS.

X304d.jpg

X304e.jpg

X304c.jpg

/ Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series #26  
Very nice. Mappy Howing....I mean, Happy Mowing....

Incidently, I bought a X300 a couple of days ago......love it.

/ Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series #27  
Great lookin' tractor, Ben! Thanks for the pics. I'm in the market for a rear bagger mower -- so, this thread is a good read.

My question to you recent buyers --- what kind of discount from the JD MSRP is a reasonable expectation?

I need to mow around ~1.5-2 acres of pretty flat, smooth ground but mulching or leaving the clipping's on the ground up here (mold and don't breakdown) is not a good option. Hence the need for a rear bagger.

Thanks for any comments.

AKfish

/ Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series
I think a discount is heavily dependent on your local region's market, and your relationship with the dealer (past purchases, etc.). They were not willing to budge very much off MSRP on either the LA or X series because "the margins are so small" on those machines compared to the more expensive tractors, but you should be able to haggle a few percent off the top and maybe get them to throw in (or at least discount) some accessories. Time of the year makes a difference too (off season, etc.).

Shot Gun is a salesman at a dealer, so he may be able to comment more (offline).