Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #21  
Thanks for the pics

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #22  
jsboening said:
Here are a few pics of the tears in the seal. To me it seems like whoever put the seal on was stretching it to tight. Then when the top was bolted on the tension tore the seal. My tears are mainly around the flashers and corners where there are curves. The tears in the front should not effect hvac since it is sealed off again around the duct work. The back however would definitely effect performance. In any case who wants water leaking into their tractor.

Do a search in the forum on "poor cab heat"

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #23  
Those are pretty big gaps. Good thing you found them and fixed them yourself.

Thanks for the pics as well.

The Infinity Kappa line makes some pretty high end/very efficient 4x6 speakers if you ever are inclined to replace the factory program. Also, if you use pillow stuffing/polyfill in the space behind the speakers, it can help to increase bass response. They use it all the time in standard home stereo speakers. Not a lot you can do with a 4x6 in a small space, but ya never know.

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #24  
I thought about upgrading the speakers but, I thought I'd give the jd speakers a try. It would be nice if you could just order the mounting bracket for the radio and the bezel. Then buy some nicer aftermarket speakers like your talking. Thanks for the advice on the polyfill I'll do it if I change speakers. This is a great site!!:)

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #25  
jsboening said:
I thought about upgrading the speakers but, I thought I'd give the jd speakers a try. It would be nice if you could just order the mounting bracket for the radio and the bezel. Then buy some nicer aftermarket speakers like your talking. Thanks for the advice on the polyfill I'll do it if I change speakers. This is a great site!!:)

you know, Best Buy is only 10 miles from my house and they do installs, and ....etc:rolleyes:

just kidding. I am gonna install SAT Radio in mine at some point

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #26  
wow, so the radio sits in the area where the air is forced at speed through the vents? So with the air on or heat, its going to blow out now around the head unit cd player too? That doesnt sound too great for the cd player if you have the heat blasting, warming the sucker up to almost 200deg back there ? ac would be fine for it, but car radios, especially those aftermarkets can get hot!

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #27  
Ramair, Good point. I have a 4720 with the factory cab and I noticed the CDs were quite warm when I removed them. I just had the factory am-fm-wb-cd player replaced a week ago. It was replaced under warranty with a Jensen unit that is ipod and satelite ready where the original was not. It also has more power output than the original so I will have to be careful not to damage the two speakers.

Overall I think its a better unit and the graphics are much easier to read especially at night. But one has to wonder how long this one will last when subjected to the blast of heated air.

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #28  
Ramair, Good point. I have a 4720 with the factory cab and I noticed the CDs were quite warm when I removed them. I just had the factory am-fm-wb-cd player replaced a week ago. It was replaced under warranty with a Jensen unit that is ipod and satelite ready where the original was not. It also has more power output than the original so I will have to be careful not to damage the two speakers.

Overall I think its a better unit and the graphics are much easier to read especially at night. But one has to wonder how long this one will last when subjected to the blast of heated air.
There is also a lot of heat in dahshboards/instrument panels too, but probably not as much as one would get in the configuration we are dealing with. You could use some foil scrim as a heat barrier and that would help.

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help
IMO, I think the CD Player itself is to blame for the hot CD's....a buddy of mine had an old car radio hooked up to his toolbox with a 12v transformer and speakers...when you changed CD's they were wicked hot. Theres alot of heat generating electronics packed into a CD Player. After watching a movie on your DVD Player at home, the discs are hot too...

/ Just Bought a 3520 Cab - Radio Help #30  
i got my head unit wired up. .. How do you "mount" it in the hole? gotta take down the head liner? it doesnt stay in place at all?

And how do you get the cover to stay on? it clips to nothing, certainly cant just glue it on right