Tire Width Question Advice?

/ Tire Width Question Advice? #1  

Nuru

Elite Member
Hey All; I am considering getting a pair of wheels from Unverferth that will make the width of my tractor's rear wheels,end to end, approximately 73". The reason I am considering this is that the CAB tractors can be a little top heavy and depending on the tires you put on them, they can be very scary on slopes. I currently have my Turf Specials at a width of 66", and that makes my current tractor a 4310 OS, very, very stable, and it does not have any issues with my slopes. I am trading it in on a CAB tractor and want to insure that it is just as stable. Now i do know that, yes the unit will be very stable with the Unverferth wheels. however I always hear concerns expressed about having the tires sticking out past implements in this case a 72" flail M with a 68" cutting width

Everyone pls comment and advise!:confused:

/ Tire Width Question Advice? #2  
From the sounds of it, you do not have the cab tractor yet.

IMHO, I would try the cab tractor as it is, see how you feel in it. If you can get by without the wide wheels, then don't do it. The benifits of the narrow stance with your equipment is grand. You will not be happy with wheels sticking out past your mowwer...IMHO...

/ Tire Width Question Advice?
That is true, I have not received it yet.

That is what I was thinking too, the JD wheels will give me a ~64 - 66" stance. and the flail can be set-up for an offset either way.:)

/ Tire Width Question Advice? #4  
I have a 3720 and a 5203 that I share some implements on (in odd cases). It sucks to have the wheels outside the mower, or to have to offset something. The more times I run over the oats or alfalfa, or even grass, the worse the final cut becomes. I would suggest a wider flail if you want to put on super wide wheels.

For the price of the upgrade, the 4120 or 4320 are wider, and would be more stable with a cab on steep grades. The cost difference was only about 2K at my dealer when I bought mine, but the size of the 4o2o seiries was not effective for some of the small tasks I needed a powerful tractor for. Might also be your case.

I would even consider filling the tires up half way with beet juice to see if that helps with the weight distibution. it would not add that much weight to the overall tractor. I would also fill the fronts just to help them contour the ground and grab better.

/ Tire Width Question Advice?
Yeah. I probably will not go for the Unverferth wheels as they also cost nore too. I would not even have considered it if my current rims would bolt-up to the 3520, they don't so I gotta get some rims for the rear tires. On the New unit, the R-4s will be partially filled, and I may go for filling the Turf Specials too. I have a local tire shop that will fill tires with used antifreeze and it works very well. The price is also cheap too.:rolleyes: