Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed #1  

J.Alan

So when we are talking newbie, I don't think there are any that qualify for the title more than I do. We're talking Green Acres here.

I'm originally from Philadelphia, and didn't plan on a home that needed anything more than a simple push lawnmower. However, sometimes plans change, and change for me came in the form of the Susquehanna river deciding it wanted to eat my house. Thankfully, a couple was trying to sell their house, and needed to sell it fast (within 24 hours), seeing as how my current home was a bit soggy, and I'd spent the last month living in hotels, I took a leap at this home (first one I'd seen that wasn't a fixer-upper) So, I've been here about 2 years now, and although I hated to admit it, I needed some heavier equipment for what this property needed.

Log cabin on 40 acres. 1.5 flat acres near the road, a 500' switchback driveway, 10 acres of field at a 15-20% grade, and then about 30 acres of mountain and woods. The field is usually soggy, with hard clay just under the topsoil.

My plan is to use the tractor to rough cut the majority of the field and lower frontage, and use it to do some semi-serious excavation and dirt-moving (I don't have to do it fast, but I have a lot to do). For around the house, I'm probably just going to get a small used riding mower to do the finish cut.

So I got a quote on a JD 790 from a local dealer.
12.6k for the tractor
3.2k for the 300 loader
7.2k for a 7 backhoe
1.3k for a frontier rotary cutter

Through the magic of the dealer package pricing he brought it back down to 22.7k for the whole package (sans tax).

I picked the 790 because it had the 4wd for my hills, enough power to handle a wider cutter, and I actually preferred the manual transmission to the hydrostatic on the 2320 (I felt that I was 'revving' the engine as I bounced around).

A friend of mine is renovating an old JD, and has offered his assistance, but my knowledge of tractors is limited at the moment, and I figured that at least with a solid JD that I took care of, I could always sell this one later and buy a fixxer of my own later.

My questions are basically as follows:

Does the price seem reasonable for new equipment?

And based on my circumstances/land is the 790 a good choice?

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed #2  
J.Alan

Welcome to tbn. You will find some extremely knowledgeable people here with great advice.
I am not as knowledgeable as some, but I also have close to 40 acres with a log home. My land, however, is mostly flat. I am currently awaiting delivery of a 4120 eHydro and 400X.
My advice to you would be to buy as much horsepower as you can afford with that size property. The 790 is a very reliable and tough tractor, but in my opinion, if you have a lot of loader work to do that collar shift tranny is going to be cumbersome.
If you have any room in your budget, take a look at the 3X20 series. You can get a power reverser transmission that you will absolutely love. I came dangerously close to buying one myself!
Good Luck

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed #3  
I love my 790, but I think it's a bit small for the tasks you have planned. I think the 990 would be a better fit, or as 12VOLTMAN wrote, look at a 3320 with the power-reverser.
10 acres of brush cutting is going to take some time, especially if it's on the slope you wrote (15-20 degrees). You won't been going too fast, so the biggest cutter your tractor can handle is the one you want.
Transmission..that power-reverser is pretty nice. I tried one out at the dealer a few years ago (when the 3320's first came out), but that collar shift does fine too, since you're not in a hurry.
All in all...if you got the $$$, I'd lean toward the 990 or 3320.

Now, do you really need a backhoe?

So, where's your place? Still in PA? And, you got a log house....those carpenter bees hitting your loghouse yet?

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed
RoyJackson said:
All in all...if you got the $$$, I'd lean toward the 990 or 3320.

Now, do you really need a backhoe?

So, where's your place? Still in PA? And, you got a log house....those carpenter bees hitting your loghouse yet?

RoyJackson and 12VOLTMAN, thanks for the replies.

I've been using the online tool to price out some of the larger tractors. I think for my price range, if I go above the 790 I'm going to be dumping some implements (backhoe first).

$20k is my upper end at the moment. And you are correct, that my primary use will likely be mowing/tilling. I've kept an eye on a backhoe for a long time since I was planning on moving a lot of dirt to try and work out some of the water issues that my property has (maybe excavate a few of the springs and channel them into a bonefide stream)

I'm on the edge when it comes down to it. While I'd like the option to do the work myself, I do see the benefit in simply hiring a professional to do it or simply renting a true backhoe 2-3 times this summer.

The power reverser I'm a bit curious about, does it simply help you shift from forward to reverse a bit easier, or am I completely missing the purpose of it?

As to my location, I'm no longer in PA, but only a few miles over the border in NY. However, I prefer PA's taxes, rights, and weather a bit more. Though I don't miss the state store. I graduated from Penn State, and my family is from Chester County, so I travel 476 regularly. My wife is from Pittsburgh, and the drive from Philly to there was the number one reason why I'm thankful for satellite radio. (Though for a bit, the CB radio in my old car helped keep me sane)

My home is 100% cedar, and so far, thankfully no insect problems other than wasps, their nests are easier to deal with, but my wife is allergic :(. I'm going to be rechinking and cleaning/staining it this year, so that is yet another project. Unfortunately, not sure that a new tractor could help me with that ;)

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed #5  
J. Alan --- welcome to TBN. Lot's of folk's here with free advice and a helping hand to spend your money (myself included...).

I agree with 12VOLT and Roy. You would be better served to look at a bigger machine for your acreage and the chores you have in mind.

First blush at the dealer quotes look pretty high. Especially the loader and the backhoe --- IMO.

Market is pretty tough right now. There are some good deals on good used equipment and the dealers are a little more inclined to "sharpen their pencils" when you get serious about buyin' a new machine, too.

Take your time... Best of luck with your decision.

AKfish

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed #6  
Based on your needs, it seems you will outgrow (if not have outgrown) a 790. Although they are excellent, reliable tractors, the loader aspect alone would make me suggest looking at a PRT tractor, at the least. I would suggest pricing a 3120 or 3320 (the 3320 with a PRT to keep you close to budget) and a 3203. The 3203 is a solid, basic tractor with hydro and plenty of loader capacity. It lacks some features of the 3020's but still has the "basic work-oriented stuff" and still would be easier to operate for your needs than the 790. It also is a little heavier. I do not know if one can mount a backhoe--so check on that before looking too hard. You may--as Roy stated--wish to rethink your position on the backhoe also. These tractors, at least in my area, have not moved as well as expected and thus are generally in stock at most dealers and may have aggressive pricing. If a backhoe is not available I might suggest a 3120 for your needs. It would put you right at, or slightly above, your budget but would offer you a machine you would not likely outgrow.

John M

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed
Though I'm a bit disappointed that the 790 isn't the perfect fit for me, I am glad that there seems to be some unity on what I should look at.

Now, I'm used to manual labor, and I think I may be able to get away with it for at least another year, but I want to make sure I'm not making some crazy assumptions here:

Lets say I dump the hoe, and just go for a good loader. There wouldn't be any issues if I were to simply breakup the hillsides by hand with a mattock and use to loader to pull out the loosened soil, right? (basically a large shovel/wheelbarrow replacement)

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed #8  
I recommend looking at the Deere 3000 series tractors. They are extremely nice tractors.

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed #9  
"Lets say I dump the hoe, and just go for a good loader. There wouldn't be any issues if I were to simply breakup the hillsides by hand with a mattock and use to loader to pull out the loosened soil, right? (basically a large shovel/wheelbarrow replacement)"

The trouble with that is, once you get a taste for how easy a tractor makes your life, you WILL NOT want to do stuff manually that you know the tractor can do for you.

On this particular issue, you can use a box blade with the rippers down to break up soil so you can pick it up with the loader and a box blade is much cheaper than a backhoe.

/ Absolute tractor newbie, help/opinions needed #10  
A very good John Deere dealer in my area has a good selection of clean used Deere's the size you are thinking about. Here is a link to their selection to give you an idea about what is available used, clean, and backed by dealers.

John Deere Dealer - R N JOHNSON INC. WALPOLE, NH