3520 AUTO HST

/ 3520 AUTO HST #1  

redjacket42

Tractor
3320 e hydro 300 cx
I test drove a 3520 with auto hst yesterday! Wow! I was about to buy a Kubota 3940 with GST (I don't like the HST pedal on Kubota) but I Really liked the JD auto HST. It is JUST LIKE A 1970's CAR. Gas pedal on floor and F-N-R shift on the column. Now all I have to do is make the price right. Dealer said it is the 1st and only auto hst they have got. Price is as follows

3520 auto hst $19,829
300cx $4,049
Woods BH 80X
backhoe $7200
Thumb $500

I would like the JD 448 back hoe but they want $2000 more than the Woods.
Do these prices seem high or in ballpark?

Thanks!

/ 3520 AUTO HST #2  
The price for the 448 is high. I bought mine last year for $7800 with power beyond install and delivery. The woods hoe is nice but the 448 fitment is alot better. There's a recent thread discussing the two.

Matt T.:D

/ 3520 AUTO HST
The price for the 448 included a mechanical thumb as well (About $1000).

Also I just read a thread about the Auto HST - I guess people think it is made for women. Well, I am a tractor newbie - just bought 64 acres (all woods) with a 1/2 mile gravel driveway. I haven't tested the ehydro with brakes on the left. The Auto hst just felt natural to me. Shifting was a simple flick of a finger. The CUT almost stopped instantly with just taking your foot off the pedal. I wouldn't think you would use the brake that much except on hills - which doesn't seem a big deal to move your foot 5 inches up to the brake pedal. I guess you get used to one way but with never trying the old way this system seemed great to me. I am sure I am capable of learning any system ... I drive a 40' bus RV and a 45 foot schooner (sailboat)and am fairly coordinated.

/ 3520 AUTO HST #4  
if you get the chance drive one with the fel installed and try the standard hst with fel, I like being able to keep one hand on the joystick and one on the steering wheel all the time.

/ 3520 AUTO HST
I also think that fuel use would be lower with the auto hst. As soon as your foot lets off the pedal the engine is at idle. If the engine is at idle does the "Load Match" increase engine rpm when the hydraulics are in use? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks.

/ 3520 AUTO HST #6  
redjacket42 said:
I also think that fuel use would be lower with the auto hst. As soon as your foot lets off the pedal the engine is at idle. If the engine is at idle does the "Load Match" increase engine rpm when the hydraulics are in use?

I am speculating a bit since it appears that you may be the first person on TractorbyNet to actually have driven one of these machines. However, it sounds like the operation is quite similar to the PowerReverser tractors with the exception it has no clutch to mess with. When driving one of these machines you have a couple of options to increase the hydraulic output. The first method would be to use the hand throttle to set a minimum engine speed that provides satisfactory hydraulic performance. In this case, when you let off the foot throttle, the engine speed would not drop all the way back to idle. The second method is to learn to shift the forward/reverse lever to neutral to stop the tractor, then use the foot throttle to bring the engine speed up temporarily while operating the hydraulics. I have tried and seen others use both methods. I suggest you try both ways and choose your favorite.

Load Match works with the transmission to prevent engine stalling. It doesn't have any control over the hydraulic system

/ 3520 AUTO HST
Thanks for the info RogerH! I guess the auto hst would only save fuel if not using the fel or some other attachment that requires engine speed. I'll have to rethink this one a bit...

Thanks for everyone's help.

/ 3520 AUTO HST #8  
Hmmm.... I like the "IDEA" of Auto HST..... however.... not enough to give up my independant Left & Right Brakes, placed on the Left side of the machine... I use these brakes a lot. They are there for a purpose, and yes they do make a world of difference if you learn to use them correctly.

/ 3520 AUTO HST #9  
redjacket42 said:
I test drove a 3520 with auto hst yesterday! Wow! I was about to buy a Kubota 3940 with GST (I don't like the HST pedal on Kubota) but I Really liked the JD auto HST. It is JUST LIKE A 1970's CAR. Gas pedal on floor and F-N-R shift on the column. Now all I have to do is make the price right. Dealer said it is the 1st and only auto hst they have got. Price is as follows

3520 auto hst $19,829
300cx $4,049
Woods BH 80X
backhoe $7200
Thumb $500

I would like the JD 448 back hoe but they want $2000 more than the Woods.
Do these prices seem high or in ballpark?

Thanks!
Is the loader with a ballast box and a heavy duty bucket? (61" or 73") i got the 300CX with a 73" HD bucket and hood guard - (Yes i wanted the skidsteer bucket, however they had these instock, so ...etc) for $3800. I also would go back on the dealer about the BH or get it somewhere else.

do you have a quote in hand? If so try getting a competitive offer from say, 146 Supply in MASS? (assuming you are in Maine)

/ 3520 AUTO HST
Yes HD 61" bucket, bolt on cutting edge, grill guard, level indicator (not sure if that isn't standard). Already shopped it at another JD dealer.

3520 auto hst, R1s, engine coolant heater, rear work light, $20,034
300 cx61" HD bucket with bolt on cutting edge $3,951
BH80-X Woods Backhoe with thumb $7,167
Total: $31,152

I think the backhoe and fel are in line but I think the tractor should be about$1000 - 1200 less. Build it online comes to 20,700. On the dealer sheet they list it as 22,960. I've read the posts that JD has reduced the dealer's margin. I can't imagine the dealers could pay for all their overhead making $2000/tractor if the markup is only 10%. I would guess it has to be 20-25% over the build it price.