Blue Guy looking at old Green J-400

/ Blue Guy looking at old Green J-400 #1  

TC29Ddave

Tractor
TC29D 2001
I am going to look at a gasoline powered J-400 tractor with a backhoe and loader tomorrow. The guy says that it runs, no oil burning. Tires are ok with two slow leaks. There is some leakage around the joy sticks. Newly rebuilt hydraulic pump. Loader is strong 3/4 yd bucket that will lift a full load og gravel.

My question is is $4000 right for a price?

Any and all advice is appreciated. I know that green is good but don't know anything about these.Thank you

TC29Ddave

/ Blue Guy looking at old Green J-400 #2  
ask about the hydraulocs and sevicing. Just fount out more about hydraulics.....any leakage is there for a reason (usually bad) hoses could be deteriorating and the fluid could be contaminatedcausing the seals to brak down prematurely. Has it been serviced 2 ir 3 times a year? with the fluit and filter having been changed? did previous owner run it at least monthly?
any water in the fluid? Hydraulics are expensive! Good luck!

/ Blue Guy looking at old Green J-400 #3  
I doubt most people would consider changing hydraulic fluid and filter 3 times a year necessary or proper practice.

Dave,
Have you ever had or used a backhoe before for any length of time? Are you handy and mechanically inclined to do the repairs? I ask this because a backhoe that old typically needs lots of repairs ongoing. The problem with old worn backhoes is the parts costs as much as new tractor parts but once you put them on the old tractor it is money down the drain in most cases. From my experience with old machines such as crawlers and backhoes the old ones seem to cost about as much as new ones to operate but don't have the new features. The older tractors seem to work out better and I guess it is because these are much less complex in most cases and less to go wrong.

/ Blue Guy looking at old Green J-400 #4  
I guess I am spoiled. I would not consider a two wheel drive with a loader. The extra weight on the front tires transfers the traction to the back drive wheels. I would look for a used four wheel drive ( if your in the economy mode ) and add attachments as they become available. Seriously... what would a backhoe dig on a 400 series ?