common mistake?

/ common mistake? #1  

redjacket42

Tractor
3320 e hydro 300 cx
Well my 3320 was delivered thursday afternoon to our 64 acre property. After about 15 min. of driving it around I new I had made the "classic mistake" which so many posts warn of: the tractor was too small. I went back to the dealer friday morning and asked if it was too late to get the 4120. "No problem, we want you to be happy with your purchase." So they trucked it back Friday afternoon and we talked about the 4120 setup. My big reason for the need to go bigger was ground clearance. I hadn't given that enough thought. I was worried about maneuverability in the woods, but the woods BH 70 sub frame wood bottom out just getting from the driveway into the woods. Well after looking at the 4120 with BH 90 it was better. But the cost was about the same as the tlb110. So I bought the 110! $39 k + 1471 for 22" hydraulic thumb & 695 for 3pt hitch kit :$41166 total. For that I get a whole lot more than the 4120 woods combo! Remotes on the skid steer fel ready for a grapple & remotes on the backhoe for tumb. 2 ft more digging and higher clearance. I also went to the 6" wallenstein hydraulic chipper instead of the 4". I have alot of 1/2 rotten spruce that will be no good for burning to clean up. They deliver it this week! Now I'm really excited about the 110!

/ common mistake? #2  
Wow!!!! Major upgrade. Only a few more sleeps and you can dig some serious holes.

/ common mistake? #3  
Congratulations on your new JD110! With the acreage you've got and the tree clearing work --- I think you'll be well served by your new beast!

I went thru a similar decision process and after looking over the 4000 x 20 series and the Kubota machines configured with the options that would do the job - I soon realized that for the same money - I could have a construction grade machine!

No regrets here on the 110.

Best of luck with your's.

AKfish

/ common mistake? #4  
Wow! Big upgrade!

Since you are intent on clearing trees, I've read on here to be sure and get the bottom armor plate to protect against those nasty stumps and such.

/ common mistake? #5  
Well you made a very good choice. I've got a 3320 and it's a great machine. But I'm only on a few acres and I'm doing mostly landscaping. The 110 will be my next machine for sure(unless JD comes out with something better). I'm going to build a log home on 10 acres once the market turns. The 110 will be the perfect blend of construction grade and towability for us. I know you'll be happy with your purchase. Oh posting pics is a rule here! The more the better.

Matt T.:D

/ common mistake? #6  
Re: 110...congrats! How's the ground clearance on the 110 and will your land support the extra weight? I'm really surprised that a 110 was that close in price to a 4120. Did you spec out a 448 vs Woods BH? I took delivery of a 4720 w/400cx & 448 and inquired on a 110, but a 110 was still a lot more $$$. Also, I have a lot of ledge & water on my 50 acres...ground clearance and weight are things I had to consider when I bought. There are some periods of the year when I cannot get to the woods since I just sink and tear up the land with tire tracks.

When I go to the dealer, I do enjoy looking at the 110...I like the color, set-up, etc. Post some pics and also share how the 110 treats your ground with regards to compaction and tire tracks. Enjoy!!!

/ common mistake? #7  
I received quotes from dealer's in MN, WI, WA, OR, AK, GA, SD.

I focused on the 4120 and the 110 on the green side (also quoted the 4320 for grins). Set up the 4120 to be as comparable with the 110 as possible -- skid steer attachment, 3rd function on FEL, top n tilt, electric diverter, R4's, canopy, extra work lights, HD buckets on hoe and FEL, thumb (aftermarket).

The 110 was about $3K more after I optioned everything I wanted on the machines.

Every dealer discounted the 110 more than the 4120 below MSRP.

I think the 110 is likely somewhere between 1,000-1,500lbs heavier than the 4120.

When I looked at the hydraulic output and the heft of the machine (it's stout); the $3K seemed like a reasonable investment over 20+ years.

AKfish

/ common mistake? #8  
AKfish:

Your work is not done yet!

There is a skid plate attachment which bolts on to the underside. I paid about $700 for mine two years ago.

You NEED one of these, especially if you had clearance problems with a smaller tractor.

Get down on the ground and look up at the underside of your 110. All those expensive hydraulics are very exposed and low lying...

BTW, you will love the 110.

/ common mistake? #9  
Dave,

That's a very good point... I hemmed and hawed about the belly-pan --- but after reading a number of posts (some of your's) I decided to get the added protection at the last minute; the very day we closed the deal!

I also looked over my quotes (after I shot my mouth off..) and the difference in price was about $3,800+ and the belly pan made it around $4,600.

All in all, when I looked at the 400cx FEL and the 448 hoe side-by-side with the 110.... FOR MY USES -- it was a pretty clear decision!

The 4000 x 20 series (for the added $4,600) will pull larger ground engagement equipment (disk harrow, etc.) and would certainly power a larger tiller, mower, baler, etc. But, clearing trees, stumps and roots are the major chores I have currently.

The 110 is better suited to handle that kind of work than the "green" Ag-utility machines --- IMHO.

AKfish

/ common mistake?
The price difference between the 4120 with bh90 and the 110 was about $3,100 not including the hydraulic thumb. The 110 I'm getting doesn't have the svc remotes for the 3 pt hitch (code 7030). The undercarriage is pretty clean without that option. I'm holding off on the belly pan for now but may order it later. What I'm pricing now is a root grapple for the fel. Frontier makes one - the dealer is checking if it is skid steer mountable.60" for $1800. I'm also going to check out millinozi.