Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH?

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH? #1  

Yourkie

Silver Member
What's a fair street price now on a new 448 or 447 (now 375 or 485) backhoe on 3x20? This is a separate purchase for an existing tractor and not as part of a package on a new tractor. The list on a 448 with power beyond is approaching $9K before tax and that's a killer.

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH? #2  
just bought a 448 about 2 months ago..I gave 8200 I think, including delivery, pickup and installation along with the PB kit.

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH? #3  
I bought a 448 in December for $7200.00 (already had the PB) including installation and delivery. The two dealers near me were over $500.00 different in price so it paid to shop a little bit.

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH?
Thanks for the replies. I like that $7200 price installed (plus PB kit).

The PB kit is about $300 which would put the total in the 7500-7700 range which is where I'd like to be (around 8K including tax). I was hoping to have some comparables when I get some quotes.

The BH is something that would really come in handy on occasion but it is hard to justify spending 9K (or even 8K). I want to put in some retaining walls which might allow it to pay for itself.

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH? #5  
Yourkie,

I have attached the installation instructions for the 448 BH mounting plates. These where dealer installed.

Regards,
DayDreamer

Attachments

• backhoe_plates.pdf
    555.9 KB · Views: 218
   / Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH?
Thanks DD. Instructions appreciated.

Any recommendations from users on bucket size and whether HD bucket is worth the extra cost? Will use for retaining wall and landscaping or hardscaping chores.

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH? #7  
I would invest in the HD bucket, I have the 447 BH and I have bent the teeth on the standard bucket working (playing) with rocks. I have read about TBN members with 448's ripping the teeth off, I am sure some one will come in with more info.

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH? #8  
Yep--if you have plans for rocks and stumps the HD version would be a good investment. I have torn off the shank (with tooth still on) while digging stumps. A call to the dealer, and through several different folks, and was told it was a wear item and not replaceable under warranty. I have a great neighbor who welds--he put it back on, and strengthened the other three and no problems since then. The next time I was in the dealership--went through the parts people (had spoken on the phone) and looked up the shank--and then determined it should have been a warranty claim--I'm happy anyhow--I think it is stronger now than a new one would be.

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH? #9  
Found a used 448 (about 6 hours on it) with a 12-inch bucket + mounting plates in Feb of this year, and paid $4800 for the hoe + plates. Had to buy the bolts and washers for the mounting plates. You might want to look around. They're not too common used, but can be found.

/ Has anyone recently bought a 447 or 448 BH? #10  
If you are looking at a 447 / 448 and think there is ever going to be a time you would migrate to a Cab model in the 3x20 or 4x20 series, suggest serious consideration of 385 / 485 series instead.

I find current 13" bucket very handy for trenching, flower beds, light digging etc and so far have had no problem with contents sticking in bucket. If serious digging is required then a larger bucket will be added.