2WD vs 4WD

/ 2WD vs 4WD #1  

wkpoor

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 5400, Farmall H, Farmall Cub, Allis Chalmers CA
When I bought my 5400 I said to myself if its over 50HP I won't worry about having 4WD. Under 50HP it would have been a must. I really like the 5400 and for what I do its seems a perfect fit. However there have been times when the 4WD would have been nice. On the other hand those times are fairly rare. Just been wondering what the consensus is out there about having the 4WD over the 2WD in my size tractor. Cost is an obvious factor as I paid 16,9K for mine w1500hrs on it. And it was in like new condition w/520 loader.

/ 2WD vs 4WD #2  
Although I don't have a tractor that big at present time, MY OPINION is if you have a loader, then you need 4WD (or MFWD as JD calls it) regardless of the horsepower rating.

/ 2WD vs 4WD #3  
wkpoor said:
When I bought my 5400 I said to myself if its over 50HP I won't worry about having 4WD. Under 50HP it would have been a must. I really like the 5400 and for what I do its seems a perfect fit. However there have been times when the 4WD would have been nice. On the other hand those times are fairly rare. Just been wondering what the consensus is out there about having the 4WD over the 2WD in my size tractor. Cost is an obvious factor as I paid 16,9K for mine w1500hrs on it. And it was in like new condition w/520 loader.
My Mahindra 7520 is about the same power and weight as your JD5400, but I believe it has a much shorter wheelbase. That makes it essential that it have 4WD for heavy loader work. Altho 4wd is an advantage, it is less important with your longer wheelbase since your tractor inherently maintains more proportion of weight on the rears than mine when doing loader work.
larry

/ 2WD vs 4WD
MY OPINION is if you have a loader, then you need 4WD

Those I know with approx. 30 hp tractors have said that many times. Actually with the loaded rear tires (750lbs per side) there is no material I can put in the bucket to even slightly phase it. The only way to load it enough to require extra ballast it with my BoDozer grapple or the forks. Last fall I moved my 500gal propane tank completely full and it handled it with ease without any ballast. The only time I get into trouble is in the winter back in the woods in real soft mud trying to back uphill with a big load in the grapple. Then 4WD would be nice. So basically mud and snow is where the 4WD would shine but without having actually used one would it be worth double the price to have it?

/ 2WD vs 4WD
My Mahindra 7520 is about the same power and weight as your JD5400, but I believe it has a much shorter wheelbase. That makes it essential that it have 4WD for heavy loader work. Altho 4wd is an advantage, it is less important with your longer wheelbase since your tractor inherently maintains more proportion of weight on the rears than mine when doing loader work.

Wow!! I looked up the specs on the 7520 and that tractor is chocked full of goodies. Even reversible PTO! And it weighs almost as much as the 5400 without loaded tires. I weight 7500lbs without the bucket on. They only quote monthly payments at most dealers. What is the sticker on one of those?

/ 2WD vs 4WD #6  
Then 4WD would be nice. So basically mud and snow is where the 4WD would shine but without having actually used one would it be worth double the price to have it?

Double the price? Probably not worth it-but when bying a new machine the difference is a lot less than that.

/ 2WD vs 4WD #7  
wkpoor said:
Wow!! I looked up the specs on the 7520 and that tractor is chocked full of goodies. Even reversible PTO! And it weighs almost as much as the 5400 without loaded tires. I weight 7500lbs without the bucket on. They only quote monthly payments at most dealers. What is the sticker on one of those?
Yeah, the MH is a heavy one - good for pushing HARD. That PTO statement is misleading. What they mean is you reverse the shaft in its socket to engage the 2nd pto speed. There is a relief on the end of the shaft thatmoves a plunger inside to change the gearing. I believe you can get new ones with loader for around $32K. I paid $37 in 06 with loader, BH w 2 buckets, Grill Guard, Canopy, and tooth bar.
larry

/ 2WD vs 4WD #8  
I have a similar sized tractor in a Zetor brand. Almost always in MFWD due to hills, mud, snow & ice, etc. Weighs right at 10Klbs with loader, some wheel weights & cab.

/ 2WD vs 4WD #9  
wkpoor said:

All of my tractors are now 2wd. I used to have a 4wd CUT ( NH 1920 ).. used it exactly 2 times.. once when discing pulling a disc bigger than I should have .. and used 4wd to help steer more positively.. the other time I used it and got stuck so bad that I sold the tractor afterwards and got a larger 2wd unit.

If I didn't have multiple uses lined up for the 4wd.. I personallywouldn't pay for it. 2wd works fine for me. I use 27, 33, 50, 70, and 95 hp tractors pretty regularly.. all 2wd...

soundguy

/ 2WD vs 4WD #10  
It is completely dependent on the lay of your land, weather and how you intend to use it. I owned 2wd tractors for years. I will NEVER go back to 2wd drive again unless I move to some flat land in a warmer climate. The farm that I bought, I was able to work nearly year round without hesitation. When we bought my wife's family farm, well that was a completely different story. During the winter months I could not get a 2wd more than 100 feet from the barn without getting stuck in snow or slip off the road due to ice. MISERABLE piece of ground with 2wd tractor. With the 4wd, I have access to the land year round without worrying about getting stuck or worse yet, loosing control and getting hurt.

All that having been said, it is really up to you and where you live. If you only work outside on nice dry days and the lay of your land is reasonable, 2wd is excellent. However, if you work regardless of weather and your land is hilly, the piece of mind of 4wd can be priceless.

Another option is to buy a 2wd tractor that is one frame size larger than the 4wd you were considering. For example, I bought a JD 5420 4wd. If I were to opt for a 2wd, I would have bought a JD6000 series. I did the price and operating cost comparison and for me the 5420 won the day.