New 5425

/ New 5425 #1  

tjkadar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 5609, Kubota GS1800, eXmark LazerZ XP
Here is a shot of the farm's new 5425. It still sitting at the dealer's lot, but will be delivered Friday morning.

John Deere 5425
MFWD
Cab with Air Suspension Seat
12F/12R PowrReverser with 540/540E PTO
15.5R38 In. R1 Radials - Rears
13.6-24 In. R1 Bias - Fronts
2 Rear SVCs
3 Mid SVCs with joystick controls
Rockshaft with telescoping links
Front Weight Support
542 NSL FEL with skid steer quick attach and 72 " skid steer bucket
Hood Guard
Mirrors
Antenna

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 879
   / New 5425 #3  
i like that alot! did you specifically ask for those tires or did they come on there? those are the first i've seen on a 5025 series that's why i was asking. if i decide to go the 5225 route, i am going to go with the largest rear tire that i can get, as i think the stock size looks too small. also, those front tires look wider, are they? what is the difference between a skid steer bucket and a regular bucket?

/ New 5425
The 'stock tires' (i.e., no cost option) for the 5425 are:
16.9-28 In. 6 PR R1 Bias - Rear
11.2-24 In. 8 PR R1 Bias - Front

That means the rear tires are about 1.4" narrower than 'stock' while the fronts are 2.4" wider. Also, the rear tires are 8" larger in diameter. The tires happened to be the package the tractor was ordered with. I don't mind having radials. If I wanted tractor spec'ed exactly the way I wanted, I would be waiting until September for it. It is supposed to hit 98 F today, I'll take the cab now. :D

The rear looks very narrow partially because of the extra height and also because they are set at their narrowest rim width for transportation.

The skid steer bucket is a bit heavier and a little more heavy duty than the general purpose stock bucket. It allows me to swap between the grapple, post hole digger, bale spear, and bucket quickly and easily.

/ New 5425 #5  
You are really going to enjoy that tractor!

/ New 5425
Tractor delivered! 3 pt hitch surges very badly. Dealer sent a mechanic out to check it out. Tractor will be going back to the dealer ASAP. Not having a very good first impression of John Deere. Tractor has 0.7 hours on it and is inop.

At least the AC works good...

The dealer just brought my Kubota back. They are going to take the Deere in, check out the rockshaft, fix the problem, and bring it back. Meanwhile, I can keep using the M6800. Honestly, I didn't expect anything until Monday.

Kudos to the dealer for taking care of an issue quickly, efficiently, and effectively. Sparrow and Kennedy Tractor in Bishopville, SC... they are standing behind their equipment and their customer.

I'm not real happy the tractor has an issue, but things can and do happen. These things are built by humans... and some of those humans make mistakes. Its how we deal with those mistakes that separates the good from the bad.

First impression with the Deere - love the tractor, disappointed with the rockshaft. Sparrow and Kennedy - they rock! I appreciate the effort all the guys at Sparrow and Kennedy are putting into getting things squared.

Last edited:
   / New 5425 #7  
tjkadar said:
Tractor delivered! 3 pt hitch surges very badly. Dealer sent a mechanic out to check it out. Tractor will be going back to the dealer ASAP. Not having a very good first impression of John Deere. Tractor has 0.7 hours on it and is inop.

At least the AC works good...

The dealer just brought my Kubota back. They are going to take the Deere in, check out the rockshaft, fix the problem, and bring it back. Meanwhile, I can keep using the M6800. Honestly, I didn't expect anything until Monday.

Kudos to the dealer for taking care of an issue quickly, efficiently, and effectively. Sparrow and Kennedy Tractor in Bishopville, SC... they are standing behind their equipment and their customer.

I'm not real happy the tractor has an issue, but things can and do happen. These things are built by humans... and some of those humans make mistakes. Its how we deal with those mistakes that separates the good from the bad.

First impression with the Deere - love the tractor, disappointed with the rockshaft. Sparrow and Kennedy - they rock! I appreciate the effort all the guys at Sparrow and Kennedy are putting into getting things squared.
Sounds like the dealer didn't do a thorough job of checking the tractor out in predelivery. I have a cousin who purchased a new 5325 last fall, it didn't get delivered before it's first issue, all I can recall is that was a 3 pt. hydraulics issue. Dealer fixed it before delivery.

/ New 5425
A more thorough preflight would have caught and corrected the problem before delivery. But I don't know if attaching an implement to the 3 pt hitch is SOP during dealer prep or not. I'm not happy I won't have an air conditioned cab for bush hogging this weekend, but I do have my trusty M6800. The work will get done, I'll just be sweating a lot more. :D

The dealer is correcting the problem and shares my frustration with the surging 3 pt. hitch.

Attached are some photos of the tractor during its initial, short stay at the farm.

Attachments

• JD5425 front.jpg
    JD5425 front.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 388
  • JD5425 rear.jpg
    JD5425 rear.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 465
  • JD5425.jpg
    JD5425.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 493
  • M6800 Leaving.jpg
    M6800 Leaving.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 440
   / New 5425 #9  
i've only dealt with Sparrow & Kennedy in Manning. i have been to the one in Bishopville before, and rode past it many times when I was dating this girl from Bishopville. i just have never walked in and talked with anyone. the one in Manning has an excellent parts Dept! the salesman however, seem to just be like zombies at times. it's weird really. they only have about 3 salesman total, and the one i always want to talk to is always busy with a customer and i dont have time tow ait to talk to him because i have to get back to the farm. the other 2 salesman i've talked to in there, well lets just say they seem dead. they keep their answers short and dont give any insight to anything. i do love the dealership though as i've never had a problem with getting a part or service, but i have been wondering if i went to talk to Cameron in Bishopville if i would maybe see a different experience? both are Sparrow and Kennedy dealerships so it wouldnt be like i was "buying behind their back", but i am still going to give Gamble77 a shot at my business and any other dealer on here that wants to give me a quote. Gamble77 has always been so helpful and informitive, i feel like he's the kind of salesman i could deal with. you'll have to keep your eyes and ears open for me if you come accross a good used tractor. by the way, are you trading in your 6800? if so, i might go take a look at it oneday when they take it back and return your 5425. i live in Pinewood, just on the other side of Sumter.

/ New 5425
RollingsFarms said:
i've only dealt with Sparrow & Kennedy in Manning. i have been to the one in Bishopville before, and rode past it many times when I was dating this girl from Bishopville. i just have never walked in and talked with anyone. the one in Manning has an excellent parts Dept! the salesman however, seem to just be like zombies at times. it's weird really. they only have about 3 salesman total, and the one i always want to talk to is always busy with a customer and i dont have time tow ait to talk to him because i have to get back to the farm. the other 2 salesman i've talked to in there, well lets just say they seem dead. they keep their answers short and dont give any insight to anything. i do love the dealership though as i've never had a problem with getting a part or service, but i have been wondering if i went to talk to Cameron in Bishopville if i would maybe see a different experience? both are Sparrow and Kennedy dealerships so it wouldnt be like i was "buying behind their back", but i am still going to give Gamble77 a shot at my business and any other dealer on here that wants to give me a quote. Gamble77 has always been so helpful and informitive, i feel like he's the kind of salesman i could deal with. you'll have to keep your eyes and ears open for me if you come accross a good used tractor. by the way, are you trading in your 6800? if so, i might go take a look at it oneday when they take it back and return your 5425. i live in Pinewood, just on the other side of Sumter.

Nathan (Gamble77) is a great guy to deal with. I have a lot of respect for him and his dealerships. The way John Deere structures (if I get this wrong guys, please feel free to correct me) their dealerships, each dealer has an area of responsibility. They can sell to anyone anywhere, but within their area of responsibility they are able to offer more incentives which allows them to make a better deal.

When we were visiting the Bishopville shop last week, there were some rumblings of personnel issues at one of the other stores. Not sure exactly what was going on, but it sounded like some changes might be made in the near future.

I think Cameron is going to be asking around $21,500 for the M6800. Tell him I sent you and maybe he'll drop that a bit more. :D The M6800 has an ATI Quick Attach with the skid steer bucket, MFWD, hydraulic shuttle shift, canopy, 2 rear remotes, and about 285 hours on the HOBBS meter. I'll add a few more to that this weekend.

The M6800 has been a trouble free tractor. If it had a cab, I would keep it. If you want any photos of it, let me know.