PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle #1  

Boots

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2240 2wd, (50 pto hp)
Hello All. I've been reading this for a while but this is my first post. I'm hoping to purchase a tractor sometime next year and would like some insight on the Deere transmissions. I'm thinking about the 5410MFWD and am curious as to how the PowerReverser is working out for those who have it. I also want to know how it's operated...... for example, must I throttle down to shift from forward to reverse. I'm concerned about mowing in tight areas with a Bush Hog and would find it inconvenient to constantly throttle up and down. Also, what about the SyncShuttle transmissions.....Any grinding when making fast shifts?
I would appreciate any insight on the transmissions for this series tractor.

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle #2  
Boots,
Don't know about the PowrReverser transmission but I wish I had one. I have a CollarShift and do a lot of FEL work so there is a lot of shifting. There is a lot of grinding if you do not lower the rpm. Also, operating the clutch really tires out my left knee. If you are going to do a lot of forward/reverse I believe the PowrReverser will be the best, you don't have to use the clutch, just change the lever on the dash to go between forward and reverse. Plus the gears are synchronized so you do not have to stop or lower the rpm to change gears. If you are not going to be changing between forward and reverse a lot then you may want to go with the SyncShuttle. It is like the CollarShift except it is synchronized. If I get another tractor it will be with the PowrReverser. Wish I had MFWD also. The 5410MFWD will be a great tractor, especially with PowrReverser. You may want to get the extendable lower arms too. You probably want to get a 3rd SCV when you order the tractor. It is much cheaper to get then than to add it later. I don't think you will go wrong with the PR transmission. It's the closest thing to hydrostatic.

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle #3  
8/14

Be sure to look at the NH TNS/TND series. The 75 model has about the same HP at the 5410, which I compared extensively to a NH TN75S. The NH has Supersteer and traction management, as well as a far superior in-line manual shuttle if you don't get the power shuttle (similar to JD PoweReverser).

Don't forget that either one with a hydraulic shifter adds complexity, as well as versatility.

/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif on the collar shift, boo hiss. I had a 1720 Ford for 12 years with that, most miserable part of an otherwise great machine.

I bought a NH TN90F, smaller size but more horses.

Good luck.

Jim

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle
I guess I should look at the other brands but probably would not be completely objective. The little toys on my desk are green, although they could be replaced with blue or orange toys I guess. I do like the ergonomics of the NH TN series with the big flat deck, nice seat and tilt steering wheel. My goal for this tractor is to be somewhat nimble out in the woods, so the supersteer would be a good option to have.

If Vernon and ejb are reading this, I'd be interested in what type of tranny you have on your 6310/5410.

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle #5  
I don't own a JD or a power reverser but have driven the power reverser and synchShuttle trans. The power reverser has the wet-clutch and is very nice (on the 4600 I drove). Manuvering was so easy, no clutching, if you are moving forward you just pull the lever on the dash to the middle position, neutral, wait for the gradual stop, and then continue pulling the lever back to reverse. No engine speed change necessary, very nice. If you can afford the powerReverser option, go for it, you will not regret how easy it makes your life.

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle #6  
8/15

Since ejb is not around, I know he has the PoweReverser on his 5410. Really likes it, I recall.

If you want a nimble woods tractor, consider the one I just bought, from the "narrow" TNF series. Mine has 80 "Tim the Toolman" PTO hp, but they start at 67 or so. It seems not much bigger than a Boomer and I love it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. SSteer, radial tires, 2 speed PTO, 239 cid 4 cyl engine, etc, are std. Weighs a bit more than the TND/S series, around 6200 # with cab, and the wheels can be set at as little as 58 inches in the rear, with a low profile if cramped cab. E mail me and I'll send you pictures (can never seem to make the file attaching process here work).

Jim

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle #7  
Did you ever find a loader to fit that narrow tractor? In California they are called Orchard tractors, but I just planted my trees another foot apart and bought a standard width tractor. The low profile features are kinda nice though.

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle #8  
I have the Jd5410 MFWD, with the power-reverser and think it is great. Makes quick work of loader chores, and is useful when brushhogging around the edges of the fields etc when you need to back in and out under the trees that line the sides of my field.

You don't need to throttle down (but then again, I don't beleive I am ever at full throttle when I try).

Its an expensive option, but if the budget allows, you won't be sorry.

Good luck!

/ PowerReverser vs. SyncShuttle #9  
I have the power-reverser and I believe vernon got the powerreverser as well if I recall correctly...last I heard from him he was happy with his decision (overall).

Same here.