Looking at JD have questions

/ Looking at JD have questions #1  

DonWorrell

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3325
I am looking for a 2wd 35 to 40 hp tractor. I want live PTO for sure and might want to add a FEL at a latter date. What tractor should I look at?

Don

/ Looking at JD have questions #3  
If you are thinking of adding loader later down the road, I would seriosly consider a 4wd from the start. The 4wd will allow much more traction when using the loader. What are some of the projects and uses of the tractor? Others will be able to offer advice too.

/ Looking at JD have questions #4  
As far as model...that HP range envelops quite a few machines...size would depend on intended useage.
As for FEL....I'd buy one right from the get go, even if you park it in the corner for a while. Everybody who doesnt get one right off the bat usually ends up getting one. Cheaper & Easier in the long run.

/ Looking at JD have questions #5  
DW,

Let me ask this....how tall are you? If you are over 6ft, is the height in your legs or torso? The reason I ask is that I'm 6'4" and I have a rough time on the 3x20 series but fit very well on the 4x20 series due to my long legs. Just something you should pay attention to when it comes to overall comfort (IMHO).

With that said, I'd direct you to any of the following:

3520 (37hp) w/ a 300CX FEL.
3720 (44hp) w/ 300CX FEL.
4120 (43hp) w/ 400X or CX FEL.
4105 (40hp) w/ 300CX FEL - new entry level 40HP w/ HST. I've seen units in the Ohio/Indiana area advertised for $20K ($19,999) new.

Like jjmarotz said, I'd go for a 4x4 tractor from the get go too! Best wishes and enjoy toy (oops...tool) shopping!!

/ Looking at JD have questions #6  
All you guys are trying to push him on 4wd...2wd might be perfect for his needs...having said that, if 2wd is what you are looking for, then the two options I mentioned above are your only two options from Deere.

/ Looking at JD have questions #7  
4WD substantially increases the capability of the tractor, and will pay back at resale time.

Also, needs and uses have a way of changing over time. More capability never hurts performance, although it may add to cost.

/ Looking at JD have questions #8  
DonWorrell said:
I am looking for a 2wd 35 to 40 hp tractor. I want live PTO for sure and might want to add a FEL at a latter date. What tractor should I look at?

Don

i would go with what Gamble77 suggested. 5103 or 4005/990. the 5103 is 45 engine and 38 pto horsepower. i'm not sure how easy it is to find a 4005 in 2wd version but i am pretty positive there are some out there. used 990 might also be one to consider. just depends on if you want a utility(5103) or a compact(990/4005). might i also suggest you get the mid SVC's and joystick when you purchase the tractor as it will save you cost in the end when you do decide to add that FEL. 4wd is not always needed, nice to have, but not always needed. i've been farming for years with 2wd's and i've been making a living with them. i'm debating getting 4wd on my next tractor, but its not deffinate. you seem to be comfortable with a 2wd since thats what you asked for, so by all means, dont let anyone talk you into something you dont want or need(4wd). everyones needs are different!

/ Looking at JD have questions #9  
I also wanted 2WD and ended up with a 5203 which is a 56 horse--a little more than what you want. Have been really happy with the machine.

4wd is nice and everything said about it is true except if you don;t want it, don't buy it. My Dad farmed with 2wd for 50 years--in the early 30's he had 4WD horses and was glad to go to a 2 WD tractor.

I think it is still the case --the 2wd 03 series come with a 512 loader which is not the quick park loader. the 4wd 03 series have available the 522 loader which is quick park. That might not matter to you.

Good luck on the hunt.

/ Looking at JD have questions #10  
Just got a cabless 4720 with a 400x and love it. E-Hydro is standard, as is loadmatch. Bought it used (2005 with 350hrs), so isn't exactly the way I want it, but all options can be added after. I probably would've got the 400cx loader, but I moved some dirt yesterday with the 400x and the standard (not heavy duty) bucket and was very impressed. Lot's of power, fairly quiet, good on fuel, looks good.

Going to add full automotive style cruise now, and top n' tilt if needed. Getting a bale spear for rounds, a minimum 72" rear mower deck, likely a landscape rake, a ballast box to counter the bales, fluid in the rear tires, a toothbar for the loader.

Mine has the R1 'Ag' style tires, which I was happy with based on others feedback on the forums. The R4 industrial size look better and are easier on lawns, but wouldn't have pushed/pulled through the dirt that I did this weekend. I'm a little worried about mowing my nice lawn with it, but we'll see what happens.

Kubota is also excellent value if you don't want to spend the $$. I've wanted a green tractor since I was 3, and now I'm 30, so I spent the extra dough!!! You'll get it back in resale if you do go green.

Hope that helps.

-J.