Modifying a 4105 computer

/ Modifying a 4105 computer #1  

rjblum

Tractor
Yanmar 2310 2wd w koyker 120 loader, Satoh (mitsubishi) Bull 630D 4WD
Sorry for posting this in the wrong forums. I'm kind of a newbie at this. I'm looking at several JD tractors right now and considering everything from a 4105 to a 4320. I like the 4105 but after demoing the tractor, the glaring omission is cruise control. Is there a way to add it to the 4105?

Thanks,
Bob

/ Modifying a 4105 computer #2  
Yes it called the 4120. Sorry the 4105 is designed to be a economy tractor without such luxuries.

/ Modifying a 4105 computer
I understand that I can step up to another tractor in the "20" series. But several thousand dollars for just the sake of being able to hold a constant speed seems awful steep don't you think? Especially when even my L130 lawnmower has speed control. Has JD considered that this may in fact backfire and instead of driving potential buyers toward a more spendy Green tractor...it might cause some of us to look at the red, orange and/or blue ones? I really would like to stay with the Green tractor, but the price difference for the 4120 is substantial.

/ Modifying a 4105 computer #4  
JD has tried to distance the economy tractors from their premium tractors by removing such features. I agree that this alienates some customers. Your L130 has a cruise latch which only locks in one speed. With a little ingenuity you probably could make one like that or even better.

/ Modifying a 4105 computer #5  
rjblum said:
it might cause some of us to look at the red, orange and/or blue ones? I really would like to stay with the Green tractor, but the price difference for the 4120 is substantial.

Cruise is standard on all but 1 or 2 Kubota's, and on those its like a 30$ option.... wink wink. :D

I'm just now doing more investigation into Kubota, Case, and New Holland equivalents. It's really too bad since I prefer Deere. Too bad that they're willing to sacrifice the sale of an 'advantage' series tractor for the sake of what would amount to a $10 cost to them...which I would gladly pay for as an upgrade.

I could envision something similar to the automotive-style cruise upgrade costs for the 20-series tractors....maybe $75-$100. But again, Deere says no-can-do.

/ Modifying a 4105 computer #7  
Is this an HST tractor i take it?

soundguy

Yes, the 4105 is hydrostatic only. There are a few other "luxury" items missing when compared to the 20-series...but this is really what I would consider table-stakes. This is especially true when you consider that the tractor brochure markets it as "Ideal for loading, mowing, backhoe work, and other rear implement work" I can't imagine mowing 5 acres without some means for controlling speed.

/ Modifying a 4105 computer #9  
I have no idea how a 4105 works, but the C/C on a 2305 is a simple device that works just fine. There is a flat pie shaped piece of steel that mounts to the pedal linkage and the C/C is just an electromagnet that grabs it and holds the linkage in whatever position it was in when you engaged it.
Might be possible to adapt it.

/ Modifying a 4105 computer #10  
I gotta say.. my hand throttle friction disc on my gear tractor is sounding better all the time! :rolleyes:

soundguy