110tlb new vs. used or 4120?

/ 110tlb new vs. used or 4120? #1  

Rmawhinney

Hey guys I have been reading these forums all weekend. When I got on here friday I didnt know ANYTHING about tractors. I had probably around 300 hrs of seat time on (what i now know to be a 4120) back around 03 but none since. I went to the local dealer not a ton of help i just didnt know what to ask. So now i have limited it down to either a 4120 or a 110 tlb. I obviously want the TLB. i have a job coming up in which i put $38,000 in the bid to buy a skid steer or utility tractor. I dont want to borrow any money for this so i dont really want to buy the brand new tlb i drive by at the dealers every day ($48,000) I can get what i want used though. The hard part is im not sure what can be added in the field to the TLB. Top n tilt, front rear aux. hydraulics etc. CAN ANYONE HELP? I have to have this tractor in 4-5 weeks min.

Thanks in advance guys i appreciate any advice you can give.

the other thing is for this job it will be used mainly for FEL work. after this i have about 300 acres of ground to play on. I dont plan on using the back hoe a ton is there a major benefit to the 110 tlb hoe vs. the 448 on the 4120

Thanks,
Ross

/ 110tlb new vs. used or 4120? #2  
The hard part is im not sure what can be added in the field to the TLB. Top n tilt, front rear aux. hydraulics etc.

Welcome to TBN:D

All of the above can be added after the fact to either machine. The 110 TLB is a commercial machine that will be stronger than the 4120 in the long run...and there are also a lot of used machines on the market due to the fact that small contractors are suffering in this economy.

It may help you to get better responses if you listed your location and detailed what you need the machine to do for you...

/ 110tlb new vs. used or 4120?
thanks kenny,
im in northeast Maine but ill go anywhere to get a good deal on one. I bought my last truck from utah :eek:
this job i need it for will mostly be for moving roofing and construction debris with the FEL which it could be used for again in the future. however after that job it will mostly be for mowing about 10-15 acres of fields 2.5 acres of tilling about 1.5 miles of dirt roads to tend to and i would like to do some clearing of stumps, rocks, etc.

thanks again,
Ross

/ 110tlb new vs. used or 4120? #4  
Rmawhinney,

I had a 4310 with the 48 hoe befor my 110Tlb purchase in Feb/March . The 4120 uses the 448 /48 hoe also. I also used a Mustang skid steer a good buddy of my has also.
The 110 Tlb backhoe is night and day to the 48 hoe! You will not be disappointed at all. My digging buddy has trackhoes and dozers and was impressed after digging a footer in rock all day with the 110 Tlb , and is also going to purchase one next year . I also think the 110 TLb gets around better in tight spots than my 4310/48 setup. Only two things I wish it had, cruise control and a throttle pedal.

Macdabs

im pretty much set on the 110 tlb now. just wondering if there is anything i cant do with it or features it doesnt/cant have compared to the 4000x20 series.

/ 110tlb new vs. used or 4120? #6  
Get a 110 but make sure you get the three point arms with it, big buck option to pay for later.

MACDABS,
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to have cruise on a 110 tlb? I didnt realize it didnt have a throttle pedal. The tractor i was used to using has a throttle pedal will this be a big issue?

Ross

/ 110tlb new vs. used or 4120? #8  
They are hydro, no throttle pedal.

/ 110tlb new vs. used or 4120? #9  
I think you have to be a little careful with implements other than the box blade JD sells for the 110 TLB.

Somewhere in my owner's manual is says that the minimum weight on the rear of the machine is 1250 lbs. If your implement is lighter, you must add ballast.

I bought a used box blade from the dealer, but have not had it on the machine yet. A project for later this summer.

/ 110tlb new vs. used or 4120? #10  
You cannot - repeat - cannot add the optional rear hydraulics needed for both a thumb and/or the top n tilt. They have to be part of the "build order" with the machine.

I don't recall if the front FEL hydraulic option can be added later -- you might be lucky on that particular item.

I looked at used machines and quickly learned that the thumb option and top n tilt could not be retrofitted to a used machined if the optional hydraulics were not already present on the machine.

When I priced a new 4120 vs a 110 with all the options that I was looking for --- the difference came down to a shade over $4K. I figured that was cheap insurance for the likely repairs that the FEL and hoe on a 4120 would require after a couple of years knockin' down trees and pullin' all the stumps that I need to clear on my place.

Easy decision for me...

Best of luck with your's.

AKfish