3520 options, Cab or no?

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #1  

Brahmus

Silver Member
I've come down to the JD 3520. The wife perfers the hydro pedals over the treadles, and what she says goes!! 4x4 with the 300X loader. Are there any other options I should really consider?

We just bought our first home and 5.5 acres along the lake. We have a few years of cleaning trees, overgrowth, hauling dirt, making bulkhead etc to get the place right. I need something like this with a light foot print to get the job done.

This will be my first tractor purchase. I have seen my father go through 6 tractors on our 20 acre farm. Mostly because he's a tight wad, but secondly because he just hasn't found the "right one". I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible. I guess my biggest question is, "Is the cab worth it?" After the immediate cleaning etc, this tractor's primary purpose will be mowing the 5.5 acres and the wife will probably do it as much as I. I'm hoping this purchase will be the only one I need to make for many years to come.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #2  
Go with the CX loader. Not much extra $ and more lift capacity. Dealers seem to push 300X sometimes. I think it is because they have some in stock and can't get rid of them.

I have a cab and would never go back. Spent lots of time on open stations but not anymore. Other than the price, the only real common problem with cabs is obstacles such as trees and can it fit in a shed. Cabs are a little more difficult to get in and out if you need to do that a lot.

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #3  
Smart wife - keep her happy - get the eHydro! Get the CX FEL. You're likely to get your best deal on accessories when bundled with the original purchase. Some items are considered to be "Sales" items and can be very difficult to source through "Parts" at some later date, especially after a model change.

Would you ever want to run any kind of FEL attachment requiring more than two functions - consider the FEL Hard Lines

Any thoughts on Mid Mount Mower or Front Broom etc - get mid PTO / 3rd Rear SCV

Future Backhoe or anything else requiring independent rear hydraulics - get Power Beyond

Better control of Load Match, Motion Match, Cruise - get 4 button control kit

Just a partial list - it's easy to spend someone elses money.:rolleyes:

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #4  
Is it hot and humid when you usually have to mow? Uh yeah - the cab rocks.

Now, what kind of mower will you be using? A rear finishing mower or a belly mower?

Get the heavier CX loader.

For mowing grass, it is hard to beat a zero radius type mower - JD Z-track, etc. You might be able to get away with the 3520 but if you have to get up under trees - you will have issues in most cases I bet.

Even if you have to go back with a smaller mower in some places - for the larger area the cab is hard to beat.

D.

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #5  
I just run into tjhe little branches and cut the larger low hanging branches out of the way! LOL!

Yes, I would recommend going for the cab. Very comfortable and I have slopes on my property, and the cab is quite nimble for a 3500 pound unit. I would also recommend an additional set of tires and wheels. I found a set of used Turf specials (Super Turfs), and they are wider than normal R3's and give the units much more stability that the other tires that are available. I went with the R4 smalls (loaded rears) and kept my Turf specials
Other Options to consider?
  • Deluxe Cab
  • Auto Cruise Control
  • Deluxe Hood Protector
  • Mid PTO
  • 300CX loader - you can get it off very easily - watch your lower windows though, they cost 98 bucks each
  • Mid and Rear SCVs
  • Top-N-tilt or Hydraulic Top Link
  • Pallet forks
Entertainment - Radio adapter kit - however, you can just bend a piece of metal, drill two holes and mount your radio and mount your own $50 speakers from Best Buy, and save $20 LOL!

Shed/Garage - Well Radman1 is right about that too. I ended up having to get a 7' 6" garage door and the I still push it back to get a full 90" opening, for the 88" tall unit. Works when I remember, does not work so well when I forget:eek::(:mad:

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #6  
Had an open station for 13 months. I went to a cab of the same tractor. Save some money and do it up front. I agree with Nuru. Not sure on the top and tilt as you would need an electric diverter and it would add 1500-1900 to the tractor for TNT.

Also, get the 300CX loader and the 73" HD bucket.

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #7  
Yep, Don't settle for the 300x. Get the 300cx Loader. It is a far superior loader for both lift height and lift capacity.... Also don't cheap out on the bucket, make sure you get a heavy duty bucket.. I have the 73" heavy duty with reversible cutting edge... I love it, but you can get a narrower bucket too if you desire.. just make sure it is heavy duty.... Standard duty buckets warp out, and bend and don't hold up nearly as well

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #8  
Get the 300CX, get the cab. I got a 3320 open which was a great tractor, but after 3 months regretted not getting the cab, so about 9 months after I got it I traded it for a 3720cab...... It's well worth the extra 6-8K (after you add 'other' options for the cab. It's much cheaper to buy it now than to want it later and trade.

;)

I'd also get the automotive cruise. It's cheap and just the added convenience of new buttons for existing features is worth it. I'd also get the air ride seat even if you get an open cab. It's a very nice upgrade from the standard seat. As somebody mentioned also, get the HD bucket. I have the 61"HD. The 73" would be a little big I think if you are grabbing really heavy stuff. I have the JD 72" grapple also and if I use it like a bucket (Works well except there isn't much side) I can overload even the 300CX if I try with the grapple on and really heavy wet soil, etc. Although to be fair, my grapple weighs almost 700lbs with is about 350 more than the buckets.

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #9  
Orlo is right on about the bucket. The 73 can easily be filled with more than the loader can lift. But I don't find myself trying to haul heaping loads of dirt around since I can move more material easier and without spillage than with my 61. I also can move more light stuff like wood chipps, pumpkins :D , and loads of wood to burn.:D

/ 3520 options, Cab or no? #10  
So, are you sold on the cab yet?

D.