JD 40 Hydraulic Line Leaks

/ JD 40 Hydraulic Line Leaks #1  

oldironguy

Tractor
Johnd Deere 40, 440, 830(3 Cyl) Grand Haven, Power King
The hydraulic line in the instrument panel of my JD 40S has always leaked at the fittings. Now it cracked and is gushing oil. I removed the line (that was fun!) and note that it has been brazed three times in the past and that the brass fittings are stripped. I think I can replace the line with 1/2 inch hydraulic hose and galvanized plumbing fittings. Any advice on doing this? What do I do to seal the fitinggs...teflon tape or what?

Thanks.

/ JD 40 Hydraulic Line Leaks #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

I an not familiar with your machine, but if you can get a hose in there than that would probably better that a steel line for sure. Just note though that galvanized plumbing fittings are NOT rated for anything even close to the pressure your hydraulic system can create-not counting the fact that all the ones available today are cast in China! Your hydraulic system can create between 2000 and 3000 psi!

As far as thread sealant, I do not like to use Teflon tape because if used improperly the bit of it can get into the system. I used a PTFE based pipe dope that is rated for use with hydraulic oils and pressure.