John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I dont want one, but I am curious:

Who makes them?

Is JD in or out of the snowblower business? I used to own a TRS30 (or 32, I don't recall now). I hated that thing. I was always working on it. The only good thing I liked about it was the Tecumseh engine. Just my opinion, sorry in advance if I offended anyone!

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #2  
Not SURE who makes them-but I would guess MTD does...they seem to make most of them that are re-branded.

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #3  
I dont want one, but I am curious:

Who makes them?

Is JD in or out of the snowblower business? I used to own a TRS30 (or 32, I don't recall now). I hated that thing. I was always working on it. The only good thing I liked about it was the Tecumseh engine. Just my opinion, sorry in advance if I offended anyone!

It was a TRS27 or a TRS32 - that series was built by Ariens for John Deere. The current John Deere branded models are built by Briggs & Stratton.

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #4  
Deere used to build their own up until @ 1991. Then subbed out to Murray and Ariens until @ 2001. Then got out totally and let them be handled by Frontier (B&S units). Now those Frontier units are JD branded.

I know the TRS and TRX units were Murrays, and they basically ruined the reputation of JD snow machines. Those built by JD in the 70's and 80's are very good, and the later one's post-Murray are pretty good. New are fine too.

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers
My dealer told me a while ago that the TRS Models almost ruined him with repairs and returns. He only sells Ariens now. That TRS I had broke one thing after another.

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #6  
You folks seem to be up on JD snow blowers. I have a related question: My brother-in-law is the 3rd owner of a TRX-24. It's been well used, not received much TLC but has provided excellent service. We recently experienced some problems getting it into gear. $300 later his dealer advised him that he should probably consider getting rid of it if he has any more problems as "parts are getting harder and harder to get and may not be available at all". (1) Is the thing that ancient? and (2) Are the parts actually hard to get?

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #7  
Both of those dealer statements have truth. There are dimishing returns to putting much more money into an older product like that, and yes some parts are getting harder to find. A TRX is likely 15+ years old. I don't think any machines have been sidelined due to parts shortages, but the day is probably coming. A TRX is extra rare as it is a tracked machine versus wheeled.

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #8  
I don't know guys, I think I'd argue the point with you. The new Deere snowblowers at Lowes look IDENTICAL to the new Ariens units. Indistinguishable except for the paint. I watched a special on Deere on RFDtv and they were showing how Deere has all of these new tools for around the home and shop. They've obviously gone bananas with the marketing. They had drills (Hitachi), tool boxes, wood stoves, power washers. Everything was just a rebadged product from someone else. Why, I don't know.

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #9  
Well, I just looked at Deere's website and the machines there have Briggs and Stratton engines. Ariens uses Tecumseh, so I stand corrected.

/ John Deere Walk Behind Snow Blowers #10  
I've read and heard from dealers that Tecumseh has closed for good as of Dec. 31st. We'll see in the fall who picks up the slack.