Front snowblower on a 4020 series?

/ Front snowblower on a 4020 series? #1  

couchsachraga

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab... formerly Yanmar 336D
I'm a bit confused - can you, or has anyone, put a front snowblower on a 4020 series? I know you can on the 3020 series (with mid PTO), and I've read on some sites that you can get a front mount snowblower for a 4020 series, but it runs off the REAR PTO, and won't work if you have a mid PTO.

I'll likely be replacing my current tractor in the next few years, and am leaning towards a 4520 (with cab), and would like to get a front mount blower for it (three driveways to clear, including one business parking lot).

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thank you!

/ Front snowblower on a 4020 series? #2  
Hi Neighbor,

Saw a big JD with a front blower moving back roadside banks in Saranac Lake last year. The blower was black so I don't think it was made by JD.

Erskine makes front blowers that use a rear PTO gear case with a drive shaft that runs under the tractor to the front.

If you do not need to approach a wall then Erskine also makes a rear 3PT mounted blower that faces forward, you drive over the snow before it gets to the blower & should be less expensive that a front mounted unit.

You could also look into a front blower with a hydraulic motor, then its just a flex hose with no PTO shaft.

The least expensive solution is a rear 3PT mount blower & sit twisted around on one cheek, the JD two pedal HST helps with this.

Don't know exactly where you are in the park but if you need a JD dealer to talk to try Chet at Giroux Bros in Malone. 518-483-0420 or chet@girouxbrothers.com

Stay warm.

/ Front snowblower on a 4020 series? #3  
You could also look into a front blower with a hydraulic motor, then its just a flex hose with no PTO shaft.

The least expensive solution is a rear 3PT mount blower & sit twisted around on one cheek, the JD two pedal HST helps with this.

A hydraulic one would never work, at least not in the size/width needed. The 4000 series does like 17gpm, or thats total so closer to 12gpm for flow. If you look at BIG, 60-100hp Skid steers from JD and CAT, they do like 35gpm or so with high flow options to run those big 60-80" front blowers, its just not enough flow to run the auger and discharge impeller. Id love for it to do this too though.

I thought some brands make one that would work with the 4020 seris mid PTO, no? deere doesnt make one, but mayb esome custom mounting up front, the mid pto should be able to run it.

/ Front snowblower on a 4020 series? #4  
A hydraulic one would never work, at least not in the size/width needed. The 4000 series does like 17gpm, or thats total so closer to 12gpm for flow. If you look at BIG, 60-100hp Skid steers from JD and CAT, they do like 35gpm or so with high flow options to run those big 60-80" front blowers, its just not enough flow to run the auger and discharge impeller. Id love for it to do this too though.

I thought some brands make one that would work with the 4020 seris mid PTO, no? deere doesnt make one, but mayb esome custom mounting up front, the mid pto should be able to run it.

It can be done...just not cheaply. A PTO pump, reservoir and long hoses to the front would run a SSL blower. Probably add $600.00 to the cost to get it set up.

The 4000 series does not have a mid PTO I thought:confused:

/ Front snowblower on a 4020 series? #5  
I think the 40x20 series offers the mid-PTO as an option. But, I don't think that Deere offers a front-mounted blower that fits the 40x20 tractors.

So, you could get all "dressed" up and not have anywhere to go...

One other option might be the small SS blowers that Bobcat sells. There's lot's of skid-steers that aren't 60hp and 35gpm!

With the 3rd function on the FEL and a skid-steer attachment for the FEL -- might be the hot ticket for cold winter days.

AKfish

/ Front snowblower on a 4020 series? #6  
PERSONALLY, I'd steer you towards a rear mount blower...for a couple reasons...
A) Take your pick on quality/cost/options/colors A LOT of really good blowers out there for the rear.
B) Resale....unless you sell the whole shebang as a whole unit, resale on "model specific" attachments usually ends up with the seller regretting it and the buyer (IF you find one) laughing all the way home how he got XYZ for pennies on the dollar.

DrainPondDesign was right, Erskine makes a front mount, heck on the pic posted they even have it on what appears to be a 4520, so you should be set. Saw one this fall at a local fair on a Mahindra...didnt seem to be a bad blower, but I'd have to say from where I am, they got nothing on a Pronovost or Blizzard.
Skid Steer Attachments - Erskine Attachments, Inc.
snow_blower_front_mount_1.jpg

/ Front snowblower on a 4020 series? #7  
I'm a bit confused - can you, or has anyone, put a front snowblower on a 4020 series? I know you can on the 3020 series (with mid PTO), and I've read on some sites that you can get a front mount snowblower for a 4020 series, but it runs off the REAR PTO, and won't work if you have a mid PTO.

I'll likely be replacing my current tractor in the next few years, and am leaning towards a 4520 (with cab), and would like to get a front mount blower for it (three driveways to clear, including one business parking lot).

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thank you!

Why not consider a hanson truck mounted snow blower with its own engine?

Mounts on a standard snow plow mounting frame which I am sure is easy to come by used.

All that would be needed is longer control cable wiring from Hanson on a special order.

Another firm that makes adapter drives/gearboxes for front mounted implements ids buckey tractor.

They can fully set it up for whatever attachment you want to use.

Hanson snow blowers and buckeye tractor are both on the web

Have fun and save some money doing it.

/ Front snowblower on a 4020 series? #8  
It can be done...just not cheaply. A PTO pump, reservoir and long hoses to the front would run a SSL blower. Probably add $600.00 to the cost to get it set up.

The 4000 series does not have a mid PTO I thought:confused:

Maybe some early models didnt, but i know right now the 4720 has the option for a mid and rear PTOs..
One other option might be the small SS blowers that Bobcat sells. There's lot's of skid-steers that aren't 60hp and 35gpm!
There are a lot of skids that are only 40-50hp too. But even with 50hp ones, they STILL produce at least 20gpm of flow for the implements. Even the 4000 series i think only does about 17.5 total, which is only 7.5 to the front implement, the other is used for the drivetrain and steering i believe.

Most skids do around 20gpm+ normal flow and high end/high flow stuff with the bigger lines do 30+, 7 is just not in the same league, and the 3rd function running non stop isnt going to be enough flow.

Tillers, power rakes, planers, snow throwers, etc, all use TONS of flow, they sometimes have two hydro motors spinning, even for a snow thrower on a skid steer, just say you got a 60" front mount unit all hydro, its got one for the impeller and another for the auger, takes constant flow. I wish these larger tractors had the higher flow option.

My little tractor has something like 5.2gpm or something redicuously low, the 27hp diesel could run three of these pumps. If i steer and have the loader lifting, ONE stops while the other continues its that bad.