Does Skid plate add strength?

/ Does Skid plate add strength? #1  

skidoo

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB
I have a friend who has a 110 TLB in his rental inventory. After I bought mine, he told me about how he had his bell housing crack, and resulting in damage to the crank. He thought it was related to the FEL being heavy and bouncy when 3ph implements were used, and suggested removing the bucket when using such. His was an early version when JD did not offer a skid plate. He said he built his own right away.

So, now concerned, I did some searching and found many posts from all kinds of tractor brands and models where they broke in half.

I don't want to abuse it, nor do I want to baby it unnecessarily. I am wondering if the JD skid plate adds strength to the system. Do I need to worry about lifting the front tires off the ground when working? Or, Should that be avoided? I intend keep the speed down to avoid bouncing while traveling, but should that be a concern too?

/ Does Skid plate add strength? #2  
There isn't a machine made that can't be "broken"! Common sense goes alot farther than even good maintainence.

I think that the Deere engineers designed an incredible "box" that works to translate forces throughout the entire frame of the machine. However, that design is based upon the whole package - including the hoe.

Without the hoe and using 3pt implements - there's bound to be a difference in how forces are tranferred thru the frame. I'm guessing that Deere's recommendation that a minimum of 1,250 lbs be used as a "ballast" on the 3pt is based upon that concept.

That said, the skid-plate sure can't hurt the structural integrity of the machine; that's for darn sure! Gotta be a net gain.

AKfish

/ Does Skid plate add strength? #3  
What are you doing that you would worry about breaking your tractor in half! It has never even crossed my mind. If you are running your machine so fast that the front end won't stay on the ground your running way too fast. Or even if you are bounching around in the seat. Slow down and your tractor will last your a long time. AK is right there isn't a machine on Earth that won't break if abused. Slow down and enjoy the ride and don't run your tractor like its in the Monster Truck Freestyle Competition.

Sincerely, Dirt

Last edited:
   / Does Skid plate add strength? #4  
If you want a tank contact the Military .....

/ Does Skid plate add strength? #5  
Skidoo:

When I first joined TBN in late 2005, there were stories about 110s having weak transmissions and bell housings that cracked.

I believe the JD made some changes that fixed these issues well before I bought mine, which I think was in 2006. Anyway, there have been no recent reports of similar problems.

It is worth having the skid plate for a lot of reasons, and I think it adds some rigidity. But, I wouldn't worry about it cracking.

There is an old saying along the lines of "he beat XXXXX like a rented mule". The modern version might be "he abused it like a rented backhoe" ...

/ Does Skid plate add strength?
He did say that his was one of the very first units after its initial release. It would sure be nice to know that an improvement was done even though I don't intend to abuse it like a Rental.

I bought one of the first 2520's when they first came out and my hydro had to be replaced in the first year or so. With the 110 being out for a while now, I would hope all those initial issues were addressed.

The friend suggested that I avoid lifting the front tires when using the FEL due to fear of clipping something on a front tire and damaging the tie rod. Would you agree that is an issue or is it not a real concern?

/ Does Skid plate add strength? #7  
I suspect the biggest factor is the fact that it is a "rental". Most renters operate them that way.:mad:

/ Does Skid plate add strength? #8  
I don't think the concern about "clipping something" with the front tire or tie rod while using the FEL to lift the front end is the major issue when using your tractor that way.

Granted, it limits your visibility and you "could" hit something; but, typically you have already visually assessed where you're going and the kinds/types of obstructions that might be a problem. Most cases, you won't be doin' somethin' like that if there's a high probability that you'll hit somethin' like a high stump, etc.

The more significant possibility would be that you might cause damage to the bucket cylinders when they're fully extended. There have been a number of TBN'ers that have had or known someone with a broken or bent cylinder/cylinders when backdragging or digging with the front end off the ground.

AKfish

/ Does Skid plate add strength? #9  
Adding plates can help with protecting low hanging wires, but making a tank or an armored sled is kinda tough.

/ Does Skid plate add strength? #10  
Does Skid plate add strength?

Aerodynamics....the air moving under the tractor isn't as turbulent so you get more down force....