John Deere 3020

/ John Deere 3020 #1  

Cowboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Agri-Power-7000,Case 580-SE, Case 480-LL, Ford Golden Jubilee/ Miller 8' Offset Plow,Woods 15' Brush Mower,Rhino 5' Brush Mower,Vasser Digger, Case BackHoe, Case Loader's, Roadmaster 6' Box Blade...
Do any of you Gent's own one of, the old J.D.'s, Such as the 3020? I am interested in "all" feed back about this model.
I have located one in, near mint condition. All I know about these machine's now is, they were built from the 60's to the 70's in smaller numbers, two styles of transmission's- power shift and standard shift, console model and standard model, 3 Fuel's L.P.,Gas and Diesel. I've also found that the H.P. rating differ's a few numbers between, 62 and 70 and, that they are still, very popular, scarce, and demand a high price. Any feed back, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz

/ John Deere 3020 #2  
Cowboy,

I don't personally own one of these, but my Father in Law does and I've been borrowing it fairly consistently over the last 10 years. I love the 3020! This one has the 8x2 transmission and the tricycle front end. It was purchased and used for work around the cotton farm but in recent years has been used for pasture maintenance, hay production and wildlife food plot planting. The tricycle front end makes this tractor very maneuverable in spite of it's large size, although it's a litle unstable on steep slopes.

The only consistent problem with this tractor has been the electrical system. It seems like batteries or the alternator require frequent work. I think that it was converted from 6v to a 12v system which has helped, but this has been a fairly consistent problem. About half the time you have to jump it off, but then it runs flawlessly. Parts are always available at the John Deere dealer in spite of age of the tractor.

The largest implement that is used is a 10 ft wide pull type disk gang. I have on occasion lost traction with this implement and had to slightly lift it a few inches to regain traction. The rear tires have water/antifreeze, but no steel weights. The tractor pulls a smaller 8ft. 3 pt. hitch gang without problems.

I would not mind owning one of these for myself, especially mint condition. I would guess they want $8 to $9k if it is truly in excellent shape. Happy Shopping!

Boots

ps. This tractor is diesel.

/ John Deere 3020
Boots,

Thanks for the feed back. The Tractor I have found is, a 1967 Model. w/ Rebuilt Power Shift Trans 0-HRS., Diesel, Wide Front, New Tires, New Batteries 24V, and is wearing it's factory paint that looks, only slightly faded. It bares 2614 hour's of, very easy use. The reason for the trans rebuild was, the owners brother serviced the machine as a favor and used the wrong HYD. fluid, at the refill. oppps!

The few 3020's I have located range in price from 5k to 14k.
Condition's: from needing restored, to looking near new.

It sounds as if, your Father in Laws has been all an old J.D. should be, a good one.

Thanks Again.

Cowboy