JD 6400 for small Bale opperation? will a NH bale wagon work with it?

/ JD 6400 for small Bale opperation? will a NH bale wagon work with it? #1  

TabbyFarm

My family split up the farm, and we are left with about 200 acres to opperate. will have 150 or more a year in alfalfa.

we have a swather, a small JD baler and looking at getting a tractor. the local dealer here has a 6400 that seems priced well. it has a lot of hours but looks in good shape.

my biggest question is, WHEN I get an automatic bale wagon, probally NH, Can I opperate it from the Huge cab on the JD 6400 with the enclosed cab?

This tractor looks huge with the Loader on it. Compared with the old 2WD Case we had... it looks mamoth. I am just wondering if it is too big.

any first hand knolege on this?

Thanks,

Rich

/ JD 6400 for small Bale opperation? will a NH bale wagon work with it? #2  
With the optional cab controls (cable operated) on a NH 1037 Wagon it should work, it should be a $500 option (new) for a used stacker wagon.

The main question is do you have a large enough barn (3 sided may work better) to back the wagon and tractor into? I pull a 1037 Wagon with a Zetor 7211 55 HP tractor (about an 89 in wheelbase) and does pretty well backing into a 4 sided barn. The JD 6400 is like our JD 2955 and its wheelbase is too long (and doesn't turn as tight) to make it work with the wagon, not sure what the wheelbase of the JD 6400 is, seems shorter than the JD 2955 (102 in wheelbase). For that many acres in hay and staying with small squares, I think your on the right track, but will probably need at least a 60'x100' barn and possibly an extended hay grapple for the loader to stack on top of the hay in the barn.

Good Luck!!

/ JD 6400 for small Bale opperation? will a NH bale wagon work with it? #3  
The bale wagon will work fine and a good project then is to convert the wagon to your tractor hydraulics and you can stay in the cool cab. I left the first table driven by the PTO pump but converted everything else to the tractor. I have a joy stick control so can use it for the pickup head and second table and use the rear SCV's for everything else.

Or you can just use the rear SCV's and just swap out hoses when time to unload.

Lar

/ JD 6400 for small Bale opperation? will a NH bale wagon work with it? #4  
I thought the PTO ran the pump on the wagon then the controls ran the tables and bale chute pick-up? I don't get how you plumbed the wagon. Do you have a Fasse splitter or anything?