Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #31  
Lol my tractor is like 10.5 feet tall as it is, it would look funny with an RV AC.

You're right the doors are narrower on cabs with openable side windows but you have to admit that JD cab doors are nothing short of huge which can be tricky when opening them with a strong headwind. Once a gust literally pulled me from the cab when I wouldn't let go of the handle. I held on because I was afraid the wind would rip the door off its hinges if I let go. Landed flat on my butt in 6 inches of salty slush miles away from home, let's just say the return trip was a little soggy :D

Makes me laugh now but at the time I didn't find it funny.

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #32  
You can add airconditioning to a Laurin cab if you have one without it. Nothing needs to be mounted as an appendage on the top of the cab.
See the Hammond / Artic Wolf unit with 24,000 btus'. Fully custom to fit the existing heater unit. It is very handy to have opening side windows as well as inside operation of the backhoe in winter months.

http://www.hammondac.com/details.html?cat=15&adid=134359&pid=2

Steve

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #33  
Back in 2001 Deere offered cabs on the 4200 - 4400 series of tractors; but only in Europe. A/C was not offered as an option. Why cabs were only available in Europe is unknown to me; but I'm guessing it had something to do with whatever regulatory agencies govern tractors across the pond.

Looking at pictures of the cab in my shop manual; the interior wasn't as nice as their current cabs; but the overall exterior appearance was OK.

If Deere offered the cab in the USA, I would have spent the bucks and got one when I ordered my 4200.

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #34  
Back in 2001 Deere offered cabs on the 4200 - 4400 series of tractors; but only in Europe. A/C was not offered as an option. Why cabs were only available in Europe is unknown to me; but I'm guessing it had something to do with whatever regulatory agencies govern tractors across the pond.

They still do that today...the 2520 for example is available as a cabbed version-no AC though.

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #35  
You can add airconditioning to a Laurin cab if you have one without it. Nothing needs to be mounted as an appendage on the top of the cab.
See the Hammond / Artic Wolf unit with 24,000 btus'. Fully custom to fit the existing heater unit. It is very handy to have opening side windows as well as inside operation of the backhoe in winter months.
Steve

Thats the sweetest aftermarket A/C Add on I've seen to date...back in 1996 when we got the L2900 Laurin offering was the same as it is today..see page 2 of this PDF: http://www.laurin-inc.com/upload/699-O9liyfUgriUHt1LplBsk.pdf

Karl2 said:
You're right the doors are narrower on cabs with openable side windows but you have to admit that JD cab doors are nothing short of huge which can be tricky when opening them with a strong headwind.
I've not shopped the new generation of Laurin cabs, but both the 110 and 3x20/4x20 cabs they offer have the side windows, etc... I'd like to climb in & out to see how a door of that size is...but I agree with you, the JD Door is a little too big when its windy out, etc..

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #36  
About the Laurin cab with side windows, the egress though the doors are very good. While smaller than the doors on the factory cabs you won't be crawling over the rear fenders anyway. The cab doors hug the fenders to provide maximum room available.

If buying a new tractor I would buy with a cab but would have no concerns fitting an open station tractor with the Laurin cab.
Having windows is a huge plus.

Last edited:
   / Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #37  
Why cabs were only available in Europe is unknown to me; but I'm guessing it had something to do with whatever regulatory agencies govern tractors across the pond.

Maybe it's because Europe has some densely populated areas where it rains a lot in summer and fall, such as the UK, northern France, the Netherlands, etc. This would create more demand for cabs than here where the only such area is the Pacific Northwest.

In North America highest demand for cabs on CUT's appears to be those areas where tractors are used extensively in winter: Canada, northern states and high-altitude locales. That's why I find it a little odd that JD forces cabbed tractor owners in those areas to use AC in summer due to the lack of windows that open: even on cool days it gets hot in there. Sure there are a few really hot days where I would use AC regardless but sometimes it would be nice to putter around enjoying the breeze. :)

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #38  
Maybe it's because Europe has some densely populated areas where it rains a lot in summer and fall, such as the UK, northern France, the Netherlands, etc. This would create more demand for cabs than here where the only such area is the Pacific Northwest.

In North America highest demand for cabs on CUT's appears to be those areas where tractors are used extensively in winter: Canada, northern states and high-altitude locales. That's why I find it a little odd that JD forces cabbed tractor owners in those areas to use AC in summer due to the lack of windows that open: even on cool days it gets hot in there. Sure there are a few really hot days where I would use AC regardless but sometimes it would be nice to putter around enjoying the breeze. :)

Since JD touts there cabs as being quiet, the more opening windows would defeat that purpose. I read in another thread somewhere on this forum that curved windows provide better sound deadening than flat windows. Not being an acoustical engineer, I can't say for certain about that observation; but if coffee shops with all their flat and hard surfaces are any indication of excessive noise, then curved surfaces with acoustical absorption properties would be in order to minimize tractor noise.

Also, Deere advertises that their filtered and pressurized cabs are better at keeping dust, pollen and other allergens. If one minimizes openings through the use of fixed windows, then its easier to filter the air. Personally I'd rather have a hermetically sealed cab the have a face full of dust as I currently do. In my case, the budget doesn't allow for me to get a cab tractor.

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #39  
The doors and windows of both John Deere and Laurin Eclipse cabs seal very well to keep out inclement weather and dust. Both are fairly quiet too as they should be.

The downside to both of these is the cost they are comparable in features, quality, and available accessories.

Steve

/ Aftermarket Cab for Deere 4x20 series #40  
I'm sure the Laurin cab has a good seal on it. But keep in mind my last tractor I bought a Jodale Perry Cab for it.... it looked almost factory... It is by far the best aftermarket cab you can buy for the money..

But, it was still a long way off from being a "REAL" factory cab.. Keep in mind, the John Deere Tractor you buy with a factory cab is fully pressurized. They are ultra quite compared to any aftermarket cab. The whole hood & engine compartment is totally isolated from the inside of the cab. All of the linkages are totally isolated too... The curved glass on the John Deere Cab does make a huge acoustic difference.

My Jodale Perry cab on my last tractor was still far superior to the Curtis cab, or open station, but I can't deny that it wasn't loud... because it was loud. The Hood / Dashboard carried the noise right into the cab, where the factory units aren't even connected to the cab in anyway other than some cables and wiring.

Also, Immediately after getting my Jodale Perry cab for my last tractor, I had to install a vertical exhaust for the machine.... because the exhaust fumes were coming inside of the tractor and making me very nauseated and sick... you won't have a problem like that with a sealed cab... fumes can't get in... Then when I sold that machine to get my 3720 cab tractor, I still made sure I got the vertical exhaust, because I wanted no chance in **** to get exhaust fumes inside at all...

Again, I love the Hydro units, I use tractors a lot and I've had years of experience with all types gears/ hydros / eHydros etc.... I'll admit the eHydro took a little for me to get used to after having mechanical linkage hydros.... but I consider myself once again a pro on the eHydro....

There is no way I would be buying an after market cab, when John Deere makes the best cab in the industry.. all because of a gear vs hydro issue.... I've made these tractors do anything and everything all on Hydro... The comfort level is incomparable.... hands down... the only thing I think that could make the this tractor better is if John Deere adopted Kubota's new auto hydro throttle control.... that would be a nice feature to have..... and interment delayed wiper switches would be nice, and of course individual light switches for each lighting function instead of the one dial does it all thing that they have now....

just my honest opinion.... nothing comes close to the JD factory cab... so I would suck it up and love the hydro, and get the best cab going.... or get the gears.... and wish you had the factory cab....while you are in your loud acoustic, fume filled, clunky air conditioned box......

again... just my opinion....

Jason