4520 - Which options to buy?

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #1  

cdaledave89

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610, John Deere 4520
I'm looking at buying a new 4520 with cab and wanted to get some input on which options to buy with it. I currently have a price from the dealer at $29,500, which includes cab, ehydro, rear work lights, and R1 tires. I think this price is pretty good, so I'm looking to add a few options. Initially I will be using this tractor for brushhogging and maintaining my driveway with a 7ft back blade. In the future, I might be tilling, plowing, discing, and planting. I don't need a loader or hoe right now as my Kubota B7610 takes care of that.

I'm looking at the following options:
Rear remotes - I might not use them, but at least they'll be there. (probably adds resale too)
Rear fender extensions - My land is hilly, so I'll probably go as wide as I can in the rear.
Front weight bracket & weights - I think I'll need it when brushogging and using scraper blade.
540E PTO - Seems useful for brushogging.

I have 30 acres, of which I brushhog about 10 acres a few times a year and a 1/4 mile gravel driveway to maintain. I'm replacing my Farmall 504 with the 4520. Whadda ya think? Any other options that I should go for? Thanks for your input.

-Dave

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #2  
I'm looking at buying a new 4520 with cab and wanted to get some input on which options to buy with it. I currently have a price from the dealer at $29,500, which includes cab, ehydro, rear work lights, and R1 tires. I think this price is pretty good, so I'm looking to add a few options. Initially I will be using this tractor for brushhogging and maintaining my driveway with a 7ft back blade. In the future, I might be tilling, plowing, discing, and planting. I don't need a loader or hoe right now as my Kubota B7610 takes care of that.
------

I paid $32,500 for my 4520 cab with a 400X. How much more for a FEL?

I'm looking at the following options:
Rear remotes - I might not use them, but at least they'll be there. (probably adds resale too)
-----

Are you doing a single rear valve?

Rear fender extensions - My land is hilly, so I'll probably go as wide as I can in the rear.
Front weight bracket & weights - I think I'll need it when brushogging and using scraper blade.
----

Might consider wheel weights on the rear.

How big a brushhog are you getting?

540E PTO - Seems useful for brushogging.
-----
Are you sure that is an option on the 4520? It was not on my 2008 model.

I have 30 acres, of which I brushhog about 10 acres a few times a year and a 1/4 mile gravel driveway to maintain. I'm replacing my Farmall 504 with the 4520. Whadda ya think? Any other options that I should go for? Thanks for your input.
-----

Are you considering the air ride seat? It is pretty nice.

Get the adjust links on the rear - makes implement hook up much easier.

Rear wiper is nice - especially if you are mowing a lot.

D.

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #3  
D is right.... that will be the best $3k you'll spend on your tractor! If resale is a future possibility - that FEL will greatly enhance that option, too.

Also, if you have any ideas about clearing or managing your timbered acres; broken limbs, dead trees, etc. A front-end loader with hydraulic grapple is an ideal tool for that. I couldn't imagine working in my wooded acres without one..

AKfish

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #4  
If I do it again, I'll get this from JD:

-Automotive cruise
-Diverter kit + 3rd rear SCV (although if you're mechanically/hydraulically inclined you'd be much better off with a custom designed system, but it takes some work and time)
-LED light kit front and rear
-Add fluid to the rear tires for weight.
-Top n' Tilt (again, better/cheaper aftermarket options - see CCM machinery)
-Quick hitch (lot's of aftermarker choices)
-Probably wouldn't bother with mid PTO, as I don't think a midmount mower is a good idea, especially with R1's on the machine. I was told it'll rub on the rear tires when fully lifted, and using a finishing mower with R1's on is a bit of an oxymoron to me. There is NO readily available front snowblower for a 4x20 tractor.

Good call on the cab, I'll be getting one next time (in 2018!!!).

-Jer.

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #5  
Go for the rear remotes. I have them with the diverter valve and they work great for a hydraulic controlled back blade.

A caution when you get it: Having torn up a few cat 1 implements with my 4520, you need to remember that while the hitch is cat 1 the HP (according to SAE) is cat 2. From now on I am only getting stuff designed as cat1 / cat 2.

Of course that was the way I justified the new back blade...

have fun, stay safe

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #6  
A caution when you get it: Having torn up a few cat 1 implements with my 4520, you need to remember that while the hitch is cat 1 the HP (according to SAE) is cat 2. From now on I am only getting stuff designed as cat1 / cat 2.

Sound advice. I was given the same when shopping for a rear snowblower and chose accordingly.

/ 4520 - Which options to buy?
------

I paid $32,500 for my 4520 cab with a 400X. How much more for a FEL?

-----

Are you doing a single rear valve?

----

Might consider wheel weights on the rear.

----

How big a brushhog are you getting?

-----

Are you considering the air ride seat? It is pretty nice.

Get the adjust links on the rear - makes implement hook up much easier.

Rear wiper is nice - especially if you are mowing a lot.

D.

They quoted me $4k for the loader, which seems kind of high. I think I'll make due with the loader on my Kubota, or put the $4k towards a used skid steer.

I was thinking a single rear valve.

I was planning to get the rear tires filled.

I have both a 5ft and 6ft brushhog but I'll primarily use the 6ft on the 4520. The 540E PTO IS an option on the 4520.

I think that an extra $500 for the air ride seat is a little too much.

Thanks for your input.

-Dave

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #8  
Everyone else has pretty well covered the good options. One other one thats good on a cab tractor is a HORN. Its handy to get the attention of someone that might be on the ground helping you out.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #9  
They quoted me $4k for the loader, which seems kind of high. I think I'll make due with the loader on my Kubota, or put the $4k towards a used skid steer.

I was thinking a single rear valve.
----

I believe you can only get a single unless you do the diverter. I got the single rear valve.

I was planning to get the rear tires filled.

---

Good call.

I have both a 5ft and 6ft brushhog but I'll primarily use the 6ft on the 4520. The 540E PTO IS an option on the 4520.
-----

Just checked out the new brochure - that is awesome. ePTO rocks.

I think that an extra $500 for the air ride seat is a little too much.
----

Try one if they have it. I want to add one to my 5525 now after getting it on the 4520..

D.

/ 4520 - Which options to buy? #10  
One other idea - why not go 4320? I almost did but the dealer made me such a good price on the 4520 I could not refuse.

D.