2305 to 2520 or 3120 pricing/thoughts?

/ 2305 to 2520 or 3120 pricing/thoughts? #1  

Shawk

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520
Hey guys... Curious what ya think...
I'm familiar with the 2000 series having owned a 2210, 2520 and now a 2305. But I'm curious what others think.

My 2305 more than fills my needs right now (mowing/maintaining 1.5 acres & very light work on a couple investment properties I take care of). However at some point we will go bigger. So I could do it now and enjoy the benefits of the larger tractor along the way.

Current uses...
-continue mowing about 1 acre (overkill with both units, I know
)

-remove a small concrete parking area this summer (12' x 30' -ish)
-grade small area for gravel parking this summer (40' x 40' ish?)
-misc general maintenance on investment properties
-continue snow removal at my place (100'ish drive with parking areas) & family down the road 200' drive... I currently blow these with a 47" blower.
-light retaining walls to be added to finish up around my place this summer

One of the things I miss but not used often is the 3 point control (VERY handy... didn't realize how handy it was until I no longer had one)...

Units I'm looking at.
3120... I've heard some say the 3120 might be a little under powered but I've never read a 3120 owner claiming this. I've also not seen any 3120 owners trade up for hp unless making a jump to a 4000 series or larger. Please tell me if you've done this. For my needs the 3120 would have plenty of power. I like the capabilities this would have in terms of loader work and the 3 point possibilities. A backhoe on this would be a monster for my needs (a possible purchase down the road). The negative is the extra weight mowing (primary purpose) and not as easy as my 2305 changing out the mower. I'll also need to upgrade my trailer. Price is $6000-$6500ish includes 300cx/72" bucket, 72" mid mower, R4 tires, 450 hours.

2520... Had one of these and they're great machines. I wasn't thrilled with the high gear when put under any type of load but overall it was a great machine. No new trailer would be needed. Price is $5000ish + trade includes 200cx/62" bucket, 60" mid-mower, 4R tires, 250ish hours.

2520... same as above... only R3 (turf tires) and 150 hours.... same $5000ish.

Wouldn't a 3120 be worth another $1000ish over a 2520?

Also... Resale needs to be considered as I could move back to town at some point as well and sell the unit (heaven forbid if I couldn't justify keeping my machine on a lot in town).

In the end I may keep my VERY capable 2305... but if I could swap for a decent price, I'm considering making the move.

Thanks!

/ 2305 to 2520 or 3120 pricing/thoughts? #2  
For some reason the 3120's seem to sit on dealer's lots, and that could be why you are seeing a very favorable price on that tractor. I would look on tractorhouse to see what resale might be like. I hate to say it, but I don't think you would be happy with the 3120 where you are now. I do think the 2305 is pretty well matched for your uses, and implements sure are a lot more reasonably priced. The downside to that is that rental implements are more available for the larger tractors. Position control is nice, and I wish my tractor had it too. What kind of a deal could you get on a new 2320? If I were going to upgrade for your uses, I would look hard at that one...... just a thought.

/ 2305 to 2520 or 3120 pricing/thoughts?
For some reason the 3120's seem to sit on dealer's lots, and that could be why you are seeing a very favorable price on that tractor. I would look on tractorhouse to see what resale might be like. I hate to say it, but I don't think you would be happy with the 3120 where you are now. I do think the 2305 is pretty well matched for your uses, and implements sure are a lot more reasonably priced. The downside to that is that rental implements are more available for the larger tractors. Position control is nice, and I wish my tractor had it too. What kind of a deal could you get on a new 2320? If I were going to upgrade for your uses, I would look hard at that one...... just a thought.

Thanks CNH... I had gotten just one price on a used 2320 swap and it came out to about the same as a 2520 at around $5k. I haven't ruled that machine out either but would have to get it for less than that. Thanks for the reply!

/ 2305 to 2520 or 3120 pricing/thoughts? #4  
If you are even considering the 3120, you might as well consider the 3320 and 3520, it is definitely good you are looking used as there are some deals out there depending on what you would like to buy.

/ 2305 to 2520 or 3120 pricing/thoughts? #5  
Overkill, not for me, I mow about 1.25 acres and I like getting it done rather quickly.:D

/ 2305 to 2520 or 3120 pricing/thoughts? #6  
My 2305 more than fills my needs right now (mowing/maintaining 1.5 acres & very light work on a couple investment properties I take care of). However at some point we will go bigger. So I could do it now and enjoy the benefits of the larger tractor along the way.

Units I'm looking at.
3120-I'll also need to upgrade my trailer.

2520-No new trailer would be needed.

2520... same as above... only R3 (turf tires) and 150 hours.... same $5000ish.
Wouldn't a 3120 be worth another $1000ish over a 2520?

Also... Resale needs to be considered as I could move back to town at some point as well and sell the unit (heaven forbid if I couldn't justify keeping my machine on a lot in town).

In the end I may keep my VERY capable 2305... but if I could swap for a decent price, I'm considering making the move.

When I do the math; the 3120 comes out nearly $10K more money when you pencil in a $3.5K trailer, too.
And with the JD dropping the 3120 line; the resale just took a hit, too. Considering the low initial sales of the 3120 - the resale won't likely be anything very exciting, either - IMO.

And from your OP; it looks like you're really looking at 2 different 2520's. Some purchase price but one with 100 less hours and much better tires for your main use - mowing. (I know which 2520 I'd be lookin' at the hardest!)

So, if I were seriously looking to take advantage of lower price pressures on equipment and make a move to upgrade - I'd be trying to squeeze a little more out of the purchase cost on the R3 equipped 2520 and keep my eye out for a good deal on a JD 46 hoe.... :D

For the cost of the 3120; you could have the 2520 with a 46 hoe, too.

Best of luck with your decision.

AKfish