new John Deere 3038e

/ new John Deere 3038e #1  

nirion

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 3032e
Hi, this is my first post. I am been reading on here for some time and have found a lot of useful information.

I currently have a 1970s White (oliver) 1365 tractor. It is about 55hp. I bought it to brush hog some land I bought. I now have 4 acres, but will be purchasing an additional 4 (and maybe more later if it becomes available) that is adjoining what I have now. I would like to have something newer and lighter to mow when we do build our house (hopefully in 2010), so I plan to sell the White and buy a newer tractor. Also, I want the added safety of the ROPS.

The new JD 3038e seems like a lot of tractor for the money. I was quoted just over $16k for the tractor and loader. It has a turbocharged 37.1 hp Yanmar (same engine as the 3520), 4 wheel drive, and 2 range HST.

Is there a lot I will be missing by getting the basic tractor as opposed to a 20 series? My primary use will be mowing and cutting (I have a 6' brush hog, would like a 7' ft finish mower), but I will also want to use a post hole digger, the loader, a rear blade for snow removal, and possibly a tiller. Will this be a good choice? The 3520 is at least $5k more. When we build, the driveway will be about 350' to the house and another couple hundred to the pole barn.

Thanks,
Nick

/ new John Deere 3038e #2  
I doubt you would miss much. Many people on here would rather have the solid non quick tach loader from the E series... But you will not be removing the loader to do finish mowing.. You could quick tach the bucket.... Not a big deal... The only thing I would miss is cruise control, but the E might have that? I have only used the 4XXX (dunno) E series one.... It was nice...

/ new John Deere 3038e
Thanks. The online brochure says that cruise control is an option, but when I build my own, it isn't there (but I don't think that means anything because the 305 loader isn't there either).

/ new John Deere 3038e #4  
I doubt you would miss much. Many people on here would rather have the solid non quick tach loader from the E series... But you will not be removing the loader to do finish mowing.. You could quick tach the bucket.... Not a big deal... The only thing I would miss is cruise control, but the E might have that? I have only used the 4XXX (dunno) E series one.... It was nice...

Remember the old days when ALO was the only one with the quick attach, if you did not have an alo loader and wanted to save weight, you left the frame on the tractor, and wired the cylinders up. That can still be done. That is alot of money to be saved.

/ new John Deere 3038e #5  
Thanks. The online brochure says that cruise control is an option, but when I build my own, it isn't there (but I don't think that means anything because the 305 loader isn't there either).

I have all the cruise control options one can order and never use them. I found that with the state of our roads a vehicle that has no real suspension cannot sustain a stable speed for more than 10 seconds without having to slow down to avoid potholes and such so I have no use for this option.

I suppose however that if one wants to maintain an extremely slow speed (as one would working a bumpy field I guess) then maybe the cruise is useful.

/ new John Deere 3038e #6  
I suppose however that if one wants to maintain an extremely slow speed (as one would working a bumpy field I guess) then maybe the cruise is useful.

Running a finish mower on a nice, relatively flat BIG yard! :) Ear buds on and the iPod rockin'..

AKfish

/ new John Deere 3038e #7  
I have all the cruise control options one can order and never use them. I found that with the state of our roads a vehicle that has no real suspension cannot sustain a stable speed for more than 10 seconds without having to slow down to avoid potholes and such so I have no use for this option.

I use the cruise when rotary cutting my field. Or I set the max speed on the e hydro and hold the pedal to the floor... I could not use the tractor as easily without the full cruise package...

/ new John Deere 3038e #8  

It is perfect for that. You can sit there and putt putt a long . I would get the cruise option.

/ new John Deere 3038e
Mowing is what I thought it would be nice for. Otherwise, I would have to hold the pedal at a somewhat constant speed all the time, and after 2-3 hours, that might get old.

/ new John Deere 3038e #10  
Mowing is what I thought it would be nice for. Otherwise, I would have to hold the pedal at a somewhat constant speed all the time, and after 2-3 hours, that might get old.

It is excellent for mowing, in most cases set the speed and go.