john deere 855

/ john deere 855 #1  

klint

Bronze Member
hi,i bought a 855 today its a 1987 hydrostat, 4x4 with 1600 hours. its in great condition.it was used by a nursery and the pto was never used just pulled trailers.i payed $4700 for the tractor and rear blade.is this a good price and what are your opions of this tractor.

thanks,klint

/ john deere 855 #2  
The x55 series tractors are bulletproof...They where made in Japan by Yanmar and have a great reputation.

/ john deere 855
the dealer told me the 855 was made in the usa

/ john deere 855 #4  
The engine is made by Yanmar, in Japan.
Some of the 55 series were assembled in the US, others in Mannheim Germany.
I can't recall where my 855 was made but my 2355 was made in Germany.

/ john deere 855 #5  
They are nice little tractors. The only issue was that the 3pt is pretty low to the ground. It is just barely class 1. That limits what you can use with it. But I used a blade and a 4' rotary cutter and a broadcast spreader with mine.
They were really popular with the local landscapers and rental agencies. They were small enough to get into peoples back yards :)

You can also fit a 7a backhoe.

Did yours come with a loader?

/ john deere 855
no,just the tractor and blade

/ john deere 855 #7  
I think the 855 is 100% Yanmar made. JD might have put the wheels on them when they arrived in the states. Good tractors. Alot of guys in the Yanmar forum have the grey market equivalent. I'm not sure, but I remember hearing that some of 80's made Yanmar made Deeres were starting to get hard to find parts for. Several of the Yanmar dealers on here get calls all the time from those trying to find parts the 80's made Deere compacts. They are pretty bulletproof machines though. Should give you years of service.

/ john deere 855 #8  
Great machine...if your wanting a loader, Get one while you can...Deere still has the mounts available for the 300 series loaders and I'd think its only a matter of time before the mounts are NLA.
True Story....my buddy wanted to trade in his 955 for a new 3320...Got a quote on the trade in with his tractor as is, and then got one as if it had a loader (His 955 was a mowing machine more then anything...turfs, MMM, etc).. He ended up BUYING a brand new 300 loader from the dealer, mounting it up himself and then trading it in...made $1500 bucks additional "Profit" on his trade that way.

/ john deere 855 #9  
Klint, Look on the serial number plate...I think it's on the right side frame towards the front.

/ john deere 855 #10  
True Story....my buddy wanted to trade in his 955 for a new 3320...Got a quote on the trade in with his tractor as is, and then got one as if it had a loader (His 955 was a mowing machine more then anything...turfs, MMM, etc).. He ended up BUYING a brand new 300 loader from the dealer, mounting it up himself and then trading it in...made $1500 bucks additional "Profit" on his trade that way.

WOW:eek: