JD 71 flex 2 row planter

/ JD 71 flex 2 row planter #1  

HD Labs

Tractor
1986 Massey Ferg 240
Can anyone tell me much about the 71 flex planter....are they easy to use, easy to fix, and more or less dummy proof....thinking of getting some to plant food plots. What would be an average price for a good set of 2 row planters? well maintained and everything but brand new paint job?

/ JD 71 flex 2 row planter #2  
Depends what you are planting in your food plots. If you are going to plant just one crop type once you get it set up they are easy to use. It's that initial set up that takes some time. You have to have the correct seed plates. Set up the correct row spacing and then run at the correct speed. Check ebay for prices on planter and usually there are a bunch of seed plates available therre too.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ JD 71 flex 2 row planter
More than likely the only thing I would plant would be corn, sunflowers, and maybe a few beans. I've checked ebay--found one but with shipping its really not in ball park...I did find one that was about $925 with corn, sunflower, and bean plate and guy said he had gone through it to make sure all parts were in good working order and nothing needed replacing....I just wanted to make sure for future use that they were easy to work on and easy to change plates and figure the things out....also easy to find parts and fairly sturdy planters....thanks for any help.....also how much ya think a one row covington planter with new fertilizer hopper would go for?

/ JD 71 flex 2 row planter #4  
The seed plates are easy to change out. I'm not sure what kind of spacing you would use for sunflowers and beans, but if they require different row spacing then you have to loosen the planters from the tool bar and shift them to the correct spacing. Not really a big deal,but something you have to change each time you change the set up. I have no idea as to what Covington planters sell for. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ JD 71 flex 2 row planter
Thanks Dirt....I'm just a pretend farmer, Honestly I probably wouldn't ever change the row spacing .... I would just set it up for my tractor tire width and whatever spacing the cultivator I end up getting would be...probably 28-30" I'm thinking...