Price Check Price check on 5065E and 5075E

/ Price check on 5065E and 5075E #1  

rod330

Bronze Member
I'm looking for a new tractor. I have about 50 acres of fairly flat land in NW Pennsylvania to brush hog. I'd say 80% of the work would be for mowing and the remainder for loader work and other general utility use. The fields need mowing in the spring and early fall months.

I currently own a 3720 with a belly mower for finish cutting 8 acres around the house along with a x540 riding mower and a 850D Gator. I use the Gator for snow plowing and general utility work.

I currently own a Ford 8N with a 4' Woods brush hog to cut the fields. As you can imagine, it takes a LONG time. I'm 54 and this will be the last tractor I intend to purchase. A cab is nice but certainly not necessary. I told my JD dealer that I wanted a tractor with the ability to easily use an 8' brush hog and 4WD. He's got a new MX8 he'd sell for $4,335 (list at $5,429 + $121 freight).

He suggested a 5065E or a 5075E at the following prices:

5065E list at $25,284 list
Base price $18,819
4 Wheel Drive $4,683
Dual Mid Valves $1,051
9.5-24 In. 6PR RI Bias $491
Freight $240
Discount $1,884
Total before tax $23,400

5075E list at $28,249 list
Base price $21,784
4 Wheel Drive $4,683
Dual Mid Valves $1,051
9.5-24 In. 6PR RI Bias $491
Freight $240
Discount $2,099
Total before tax $26,150

I calcuated both prices represent about 7.5% off list. These prices do not include the loader or the MX8.

I've got a great relationship with the dealer and the service is excellent. He mentioned there's a little wiggle room in the price but not much. I was expecting a discount in the 10% to 12% range, especially in view of the economy-- but maybe there's not as much margin in this newer line of tractors.

Any recommendtions on the tractor or pricing would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Price check on 5065E and 5075E #2  
Rod, if 80% of the time is spent mowing then what you need is pto horsepower. You might want to consider an 8 ft pull type mower, they will give you a very nice and uniform cut while you have a smoother ride. You can use something along the lines of a 4520 or 4720 to pull it and still have ehydro for the loader work.

You should be able to get a better discount too if you hold steadfast a little longer.

Good Luck with it all.

Steve

/ Price check on 5065E and 5075E
Steve, the MX8 they want to sell me is a "semi-mount center drive rotary cutter". I'm not entirely sure what that means but it seems to be hybrid of a pull type mower and a lift mower. Since the 5075E is rated at 61 PTO HP, would I be OK with the 8' mower?

I love the hydro on my 3720 but figured I could get more "bang for the buck" with the manual transmission for my "field tractor". The MFWD version has the SyncShuttle transmission which seems like it would be acceptable for occasional loader work. I suppose I could add a loader to my 3720 instead.

Thanks for the prompt response!

/ Price check on 5065E and 5075E #4  
Sixty horsepower is plenty for an eight foot mower.

The big benefit derived from a 5000 series tractor would be for ground engaging tools like plows, the extra weight is better for traction with less wheel slip, and the gear tractor has slightly higher efficientcy. If you need to use heavy 3 pt implements the 5000 series would be a better choice.

With 80% mowing though you could get a 6 ft mower for your 3720 or a 4720 with an 8 ft mower. Mowing with a 4720 at 66 hp gross will probably go as fast as you can stay on the tractor.:D

I have an MX6 that I am currently using with my older 820 tractor which is about 4000 lbs and 35 hp and it doesn't bog down very often, even though the tractor is old and is probably loosing some power. It is a 3pt mower and works well in more confined areas

For years my dad and I used both pull type and 3 pt bush hogs and found that the pull types had less problems because their weight stayed on the ground. That means no stresses on the tractor hitches and no wear on hitch pins. We used to clip about 190 acres with these and obviously spent some time in doing so.

I would assume the mower you are referring to connects to the 3 pt hitch but has hydraulics to raise the deck with wheels, and is rigid instead of trailing like a pull type mower. If this is the case it should work with either a 4000 or 5000 tractor. Haven't seen it though to be sure.

Pull-type

MX10 pull-type

Parallel lift linkage helps keep the cutter level through all height adjustments.

Note: Lift-type versions require a larger tractor than other versions. For MX8 Lift-Type Rotary Cutters, the minimum size tractor recommended is a 4-cylinder 5000 TEN Series or equivalent. For MX10 Lift-Type Rotary Cutters, the minimum size tractor recommended is a 6000 TEN Series or equivalent. Refer to tractor operator's manual for ballasting instructions. Pull-type and semi-mount versions require a tractor with a minimum of 40 PTO horsepower. Please note that the type and volume of material being cut will affect horsepower requirements.

Last Updated : 18-Jul-2008

The above excerpt is from Deere Co.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Price check on 5065E and 5075E #5  
Rod, I intended to show pictures of the semi and pull type mowers from Deere but the pictures did not post. As mentioned the minimum hp required for the pto is 40 hp.

Just a thought but if this is going to be your last tractor, you may want to consider a cab 4520 or 4720 with ehdro and the 8 ft mower your dealer has. This would be a vey manueverable combination that would cut a wide swath and at the same time would be great for loader work.

A very flexible multi purpose tractor for a 50 acre farm.

Good luck with your decision,

Steve

/ Price check on 5065E and 5075E #6  
if your intent is to keep the 3720, put a loader on it and consider a 2 wheel drive 5000 series to do the mowing and any plowing or what not. I'd guess the cost of mfwd is about the same as the loader for the 3720...thus leaving alot of wiggle room for any other implements you may need.

/ Price check on 5065E and 5075E #7  
Where in NW PA are you Rod, I am in the Meadville area.

/ Price check on 5065E and 5075E
I'm near Sugarcreek, about 30 minutes from Meadville

/ Price check on 5065E and 5075E #9  
I'd vote for the larger tractor to keep you up & out of the dirt & debris heat bugs etc. The wider mowers do not follow the contours as well, scalp high spots & leave low spots long. Smooth fields are better. If you have overhanging branches or fence lines a 10' mower would reach out from the tractor easier.

I also decided 1 time tractor purchase & it has a cab, use it year round and now generally pick 100F days with 100% humidity to mow. Jump out fresh & ready to go to town for dinner.

My smaller tractor is a JD skidsteer which is used for everything except mowing. Even cleared snow with it once,, spent 2 hours clearing snow flying around thinking this is faster than the tractor until the cold finally made me stop (-10) & I was going to finish with the main tractor & saw about only 1/3 done. Difference being a 60" SS bucket and the 8' tractor bucket.

Now I make sure the SS does not block the tractor when parking in the barn during the Winter. :)

/ Price check on 5065E and 5075E #10  
Where are you looking, Elder's? Try Gallup and Tennhaken in Edinboro, talk to Joel- he is a friend of mine and the store manager. Tell him Greg Smith sent you, he'll get a chuckle!