Ballast Box for 3x20 Series

/ Ballast Box for 3x20 Series #1  

John in the UP

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 John Deere 4066R Snow Cab
Guys -

I've been looking for a JD ballast box for my 3320. Seems like every time I find an ad for a good used one, its gone before I even make the call. For example, found a nice one on Craigs List late last night. Call first thing this morning and its gone already...

What can I expect to pay for a new one from the JD dealer?

Thanks,
-John

/ Ballast Box for 3x20 Series #2  
Online, JD Builder lists it for $206, so +/- that.

/ Ballast Box for 3x20 Series #3  
If you don't want to spend the big dollar you could build your own ballast box as many members have. Search for ballast box or rear ballast for the threads. Many have used the round barrel approach as did I. Others have made their own square box including another JD owner. I made mine out of a 55 gal plastic barrel with steel framework inside and cement for a total of under $50 and a rear weight of 800lb.

Attachments

• Ballast 1 [640x480].JPG
    Ballast 1 [640x480].JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 815
  • tractor 004 [640x480].JPG
    tractor 004 [640x480].JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,355
   / Ballast Box for 3x20 Series #4  
l made my own ballast for my 3320. I built a plywood box and filled it with 6 each, 80 lb. bags of quickcrete for an approximate weight of 500 lbs. Embedded 5/8" bolts in the concrete to fasten lift pins and top link connection. After concrete was cured, removed plywood and painted the concrete green to match tractor. If I were to do it over, I would make it a little bigger to get the weight up to about 700-750 lbs. If you buy a metal ballast box you will still need to fill it with some material to increase the weight needed.

Since I trailer my tractor fairly often, I do not want to fill the tires or add wheel weights at this time but find that the 500 lb. counterweight does a good job with light to medium loads on the FEL.

/ Ballast Box for 3x20 Series #5  
Check with your dealer, too. Some members have reported getting a ballast box for little or nothing, the dealer had so many in stock just sitting on the back lot for so long.

/ Ballast Box for 3x20 Series #6  
John,

JD also offers a ballast box extension to increase the height & weight of the box if you need it.

Some owners embed 2" PVC pipe sections in the box filler to hold shovel & rake handles.

An unadvertised use for the ballast box it to forget to raise it off the ground before driving off on a gravel drive, smooths it out like a steam iron on a wrinkled shirt sleeve but only 2 feet wide at a time ;-)

/ Ballast Box for 3x20 Series
Thanks for the replies.

At this time, building my own isn't an option, but I will probably ask a few more questions when I do track one down.

I have seen the PVC pipe mentioned and will probably do something along that line.

-John

/ Ballast Box for 3x20 Series #8  
I used a big rectangular plastic tote, 30 gal. I belive. I drilled holes thru the ends of the tote and slid a 30" piece of sch.40 1" pipe thru it. I welded cat.-1 pins on the ends. Just to make sure it would hold the concrete I wrapped two nylon ratchet straps around it. Then I filled it with 7- 80# bags of concrete. And pushed my top bracket into the fresh concrete then finished it with a trowel. Total expense 50.00. With everything it weighs approx. 575#

/ Ballast Box for 3x20 Series #10  
491ton
That should make a nice ballast for you. I like the Deere box that fits my iMatch for quick drop-off, and pick-up of pallet forks. Wouldn't want to do without my iMatch.