safety/stability of JD 2305

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #1  

lispro

From all the advice I have received on the thread of X500 vs X700 I am now leaning toward a purchase of a 2305 with 62"MMM (no FEL at this time). This will be to mow 3 acres and help maintain 3 acres of pasture/meadow and 3 wooded acres. There are some hills on the property and some slopes around the pond. I have been reading scary stuff on the safety forum and as a newbie want to do things right and safe. I have read reviews of the 2305 as being "tippy" by several people. I am not planning to use a FEL which may be a big factor. Is the 2305 still better/more stable (with ROPS and seatbelt) than a X700? I wasn't sure about center of gravity and other factors, so any advice would again be appreciated.
Thanks

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #2  
[
Not sure this answers your question but I'd rather roll a tractor with a ROPS and a seat belt on than roll a tractor without a ROPS and no seat belt.
From all the advice I have received on the thread of X500 vs X700 I am now leaning toward a purchase of a 2305 with 62"MMM (no FEL at this time). This will be to mow 3 acres and help maintain 3 acres of pasture/meadow and 3 wooded acres. There are some hills on the property and some slopes around the pond. I have been reading scary stuff on the safety forum and as a newbie want to do things right and safe. I have read reviews of the 2305 as being "tippy" by several people. I am not planning to use a FEL which may be a big factor. Is the 2305 still better/more stable (with ROPS and seatbelt) than a X700? I wasn't sure about center of gravity and other factors, so any advice would again be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
   / safety/stability of JD 2305 #3  
Most people talk about the tractors being tippy when using the FEL. But I will venture to guess that the X700 would be more stable on the steepest of inclines. With that said, I doubt too many poeple mow grass on those types of inclines.

My opinion is that you will feel more secure on the 2305 with 4 wheel drive than the x700. The center of gravity will be an issue for you once (or if) you add a brush hog. You will not have the weight of the FEL to balance it out.

The short answer, IMHO, is there will be little difference in stability while mowing, or much of anything else.

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #4  
I would compare the dimension of both and see which is wider and longer.. Keep in mind the MMM add quite a bit of low gravity weight as well..

Brian

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #5  
Good advice to compare the wheelbase dimensions and height, weight. I have not read about the differences between the X700 (or X500) versus the 2305 and how that might translate regarding stability on slopes.

I have seen discussions regarding the stability differences between the 2000 series machines - including the 2305. Most view the 2305 as the most stable 2000 series machine as it has a lower COG. However, there have been some concerns voiced over the low ground clearance of the 2305 and the placement of the hydraulic filter (exposed and a liability in woods; rough ground) and the radiator/fan placement.

A number of 2000 buyers that had: 1) larger properties >5 acres 2) hilly landscapes 3) wooded, brushy areas as well as finished, manicured lawn areas opted to move up to 2320 or even 25-2720 models.

Many dealers will deliver a machine (or 2) for you to use (demo) for a few hours to help you decide. The very best information is most generally "hand's on" information.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #6  
LisPro:

I have a 2305 and a 3720 Cab. I've had the 2305 for 3.5 years and have maybe 150hrs on it. I used to mow 5 acres (mostly flat) and now mow maybe 1.5-2 acres and use it for snow removal, FEL work, and mowing. I've also run a chipper with it, used a 6' grader blade, and a 5' landscape rake. Both locations I mowed had a short but steep hill I'd mow partly sideways. I mow with the 62"mmm.

I can't compare stability to the X series but I can tell you the 2305 feels almost as stable as my old Craftsman GT5000 lawn tractor and with the ROPS it's definitely a lot safer. I would load the tires. Also, already mentioned is the 4WD. Without 4WD you only brake on a single axle and it's easy to 'slide' a 2wd tractor down a hill and slip sideways. Going straight up and down you'll never feel an issue with the 2305. If you turn on hills it's still pretty stable once you get used to it. The only time I've had it up on two wheels (or 1) was with the FEL and lot's of weight. Also, when I mow I leave the loader frame on (I take the bucket off) and I still don't have an issue.

Sounds like you won't be taking it into the woods but the 2305 doesn't have a lot of ground clearance. I've never broken my fan or filter but a few folks have when they are taking it deep.

It finish mows like you wouldn't believe. Myself when I mowed 5 acres, most of it was flat out in high range (around 9mph) and it was pretty stable (I'd hit the roof of my 3720 if I tried to mow at that speed).

Also the deck comes on and off in a second so if you do end up getting the FEL it's easy to get the deck off.

Load the tires and use common sense and I'm sure you'll be fine. Loading doesn't add much on the 2305 (probably 200lbs) but it does help a little.

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #7  
I have had plenty of adventures on my 2305. Just paid it off the other day as a matter of fact. I use it under lots of challenging circumstances. There are plenty of folks on this site that would talk you into going bigger. Much bigger. What ever you get have the tires loaded, it helps with stability. If you get a 2305 be mindful of the fan. Brotek makes a nice skid plate, I have never broken down and got one. Keep in mind that the 2320 is the same engine as the 2305. It weighs more and the gearing is different. Some people complain about that. The 2320 has position control, that is very important to some people. I miss it sometimes but I feel thankful that I have a tractor and implements that allow me to know what I am missing. It all depends on what you can afford and justify. A 2305 and lots of implements will out perform a 2520 and no implements. Remember you need both.

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #8  
Hi, I have a 2210 and 62c mower which is almost identical to the 2305 under the skin. My 3.5 acre property is about 1/3 on a hill and I also mow a septic mound and road ditch. I wouldn't dare use a tractor without seatbelt and ROPS around here. My 2210 mows a side slope of the ditch that would scare the **** out of most, BUT I go VERY SLOW and SEATBELT FASTENED. Under moist conditions my HDAP tires slide sideways a little it's so steep! The low center of gravity and ROPS were factors in my decision to go with this machine. If you are concerned wheel weights can easily be added to further stabilize things.
I also have a 210 loader which MUST be used with great care and plenty of weight (300lbs or more) on the back simply because the machine is a bit light for loader work. It is safe enough when using enough weight on the back, but I do not do loader work on any slopes, not sideways anyway.
In short, if you have extreme hills you want a ROPS.

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #9  
If you still have concerns about stability, I have read on here about spacers that can be added to widen the track of the rear wheerls. You might want to do a search for that. I have a side ditch to mow that is extremely steep. I used to mow it, but over the years it has washed out sufficiently that even with rops, wheel weights, etc., I can't bring myself to mow it any longer. I used to mow it by shifting my weight to the high side of the seat, but the seat switch on this tractor doesn't let me do that. Some places I just have to do with a hand mower or weed eater. I'd rather take a little longer to finish the job and be safe than to rush thru it and end up on my head.

/ safety/stability of JD 2305 #10  
lispro,

I'm curious to know what kind of slopes you actually have. Maybe you could measure your worst-case and report back.

For reference, I've never used a 2305, have heard that they are more stable than my 2520. Since I regularly use my 2520 on a 20 degree side slope with no problems, I would think you could at least handle 20 degees.

FWIW, I have 300 lbs of wheel weights but the tires are not loaded.