Model # : Quality/Price relationship

/ Model # : Quality/Price relationship #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Im trying really hard to find a pattern in JD Model # vs its Quality/Price. In general, it seems that the second 2 numbers in the model increase as the quality and price increase. For instance, a xx20 appears a bit cheaper then the same xx25. Is this the case. Please enlighten me as to how this works. thanks

/ Model # : Quality/Price relationship #2  
One of John Deeres' short comings is model numbers no doubt. Lots of confusion over the last 60 years anyway. Picking this up from about 1960 though the first two numbers was indicative of the size and the last two numbers was the series or age. For example 3010 and 3020, were both similar sized tractors but the 10 was the early model or series. Same with a 4010 early model still about 85-90 hp (a guess) and the 4020 similar but next in the series, the 4030 replaced the 4020. The problem is the same thing keeps happening over and over, example in 1958 they made a 820 tractor roughly 70 hp. Until recently I had a 1974 820 that was much smaller and completely different. I am getting my new 4520 delivered tomorrow which is a 60 hp compact cab tractor a neighbor of mine in the past had a 4520 which was about 135 hp. This can be very confusing if you didn't grow up with them.:D

SUPPOSEDLY, Deere is trying to resolve this and their new numbering system is going to indicate size, horsepower and whether it is a specialty use machine.

If it were me I would bookmark tractordata and use them for a reference.

Steve

/ Model # : Quality/Price relationship #3  
If it were me I would bookmark tractordata and use them for a reference.

Steve

Good advice. I use tractordata to straighten out my confusion over the different models, too.

AKfish

/ Model # : Quality/Price relationship #4  
I wouldnt say there is a "QUALITY" difference...but a "Features" difference. IMO the actual build quality of a 3005 or a 3038 is not less then a 3x20 series...the Features & options available on them is different....

JD has reused many model numbers like the 4320, 820, etc...I guess being in the Ag world for my entire life, I'm pretty familiar with it so it doesnt bother me.

/ Model # : Quality/Price relationship #5  
Im trying really hard to find a pattern in JD Model # vs its Quality/Price. In general, it seems that the second 2 numbers in the model increase as the quality and price increase. For instance, a xx20 appears a bit cheaper then the same xx25. Is this the case. Please enlighten me as to how this works. thanks

I wish you luck with that! :)

/ Model # : Quality/Price relationship #6  
I have been very happy with JD over the years and my wife grew up with them so we remain green. That said, the other major makers do make great tractors also...you just tend to stick with what has never failed you. I know darn few who have ever been upset with their orange tractors also. I have other equipment/attachments from Long, New Holland, Landpride, Befco, etc and have been happy with them too. One reason I have stuck with JD is that they have a bit more USA made are increasing that percentage. Also, during the depression they were the only major manufacturer that did not reposes their equipment. Their view at the time was that if they are still able to stay in business then America needs it's equipment more than they need every red cent. I can't 100% confirm this but have found it in many historical sources...I think it is true. Now their numbering system is crazy...

The numbering system is consistent within a range and year...after that all bets are off! Happily the new 50XX series do match the "XX" with the horsepower...WOW isn't that a novel ideere!--Maybe they should confuse us more and call their new numbering system "I-Match?!" So they may be leaning toward more consistency. Also, generally the bigger the number the "bigger" the tractor. I agree that the quality genrally does not rise so much as available features.

Your confusion is shared by all. Tractordata is a great web resource.
Peter

/ Model # : Quality/Price relationship #7  
..... One reason I have stuck with JD is that they have a bit more USA made are increasing that percentage. Also, during the depression they were the only major manufacturer that did not reposes their equipment. Their view at the time was that if they are still able to stay in business then America needs it's equipment more than they need every red cent. I can't 100% confirm this but have found it in many historical sources...I think it is true........Peter

Check the year 1933.:) John Deere Co. Timeline

Se also: JD Commitment to Customers

/ Model # : Quality/Price relationship #8  
   / Model # : Quality/Price relationship #9  
Thanks Iowachild. I was impressed to read that 99% of those carried debts were eventually paid by the people! I wonder if that would happen today. I may be old fashioned but I am impressed with that history and am happy to be faithfull in return.
Peter
Well Peter, no I would not expect the same to happen today. Those were different times when most people were raised not to expect a hand out. My grandparents out and out hated owing money to anyone for any reason. Wish I would of had more time with them than I did!