JD 5083E vs M7040

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #1  

peter_vii

Silver Member
Tractor
B2320N, JD5083E
Which one would you pick and why?
(Same price, same warranty and same 0% financing).

This is all around farm tractor for 80 ac.
Some plowing, disc work, pull-type combines, baling etc.

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #2  
5083e John Deere all they way more implements better customer service from John Deere

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #3  
The fact that the JD is a much heavier tractor will make it superior for ground engaging work such as plowing and discing.

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #4  
For smooth ergonomics, engineering, user friendlimess overall fit and finish, I would go with the Kubota. The JD is more brutal and heavier with more accessories readily available such as weights and add-ons, however. Really, on a net-net basis each has goods and bads that would cancel each other out and make then equal.
If I was going to pull a chisel plow and do field work day in and day out, the JD has merit. For less grunt work and suit-and-tie manners, it's the Kubota.

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #5  
Where did the gross horsepower go on the deere, it seems that it has a lot of engine horsepower and not much PTO horsepower. Must be lost while running the big hydraulic pump which for some reason doesn't help the three point hitch lift system to much for capacity.

It would be nice to use the additional weight to add rear ballast to offset he loader capacity.

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #6  
When I was faced with almost the same dilemma (5425 vs M7040) I wound up with the 5425. In my opinion, the cab on the John Deere is better. It is bigger, roomier, has better sight lines, and the controls all fall to hand very easily.

My previous tractor was a Kubota M6800. Before that was two other Kubota tractors. I have no issues or complaints with Kubota. They build a very fine machine.

However, in my situation the John Deere is the better machine. The ergonomics, fit, and finish are as good as, if not better, than the Kubota.

Honestly, you're going to have to drive them both and see which tickles your fancy. If you are doing ground engaging type of work, my nod would definitely be the John Deere.

/ JD 5083E vs M7040
The gears are less "sticky" on Deere.

I bought JD5083E+563 NSL for C$47K

Plows like a tank :) Tight, quiet cab, awesome tractor.

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #8  
This is a bump since I'm in this same situation right now. It actually seems like a more fair comparison to have the JD5083E Limited vs the Kubota 8540 - similar HP class.

With regard to the JD drop in HP at the PTO, it "appears" it's all in how JD v K calculate the engine and PTO HP. JD has a footnote at the bottom of its online brochures trying to explain the meaning of the values - the 60 series brochure has the most detailed explanation. That said, I still didn't get it but I think JD follows some standard (similar to the Bureau of Weights and Measures) to estimate HP. Whew.

I have to admit that I got caught up with tractor fever and kept moving my sights at the next one up the ladder. Dope slapped myself into reality and realized that a new basic tractor is still 1000X better than my current situation and better than the top notch unit that I can't really afford:( That's life though ain't it!

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #9  
I have to admit that I got caught up with tractor fever and kept moving my sights at the next one up the ladder. Dope slapped myself into reality and realized that a new basic tractor is still 1000X better than my current situation and better than the top notch unit that I can't really afford:( That's life though ain't it!

Yep... many of us have wandered down that same track!! :D

You have to make a strong distinction regarding the actual "needs vs wants" and ensure that the machine will be up to the tasks that you have determined are important to your farm/home/ranch.

I started out looking at cabbed 4520-4720 CUT's and moved into the 5000E series up to the cabbed Limited series - 5083e - and finally up to the 5000M machines.

After quite a bit of back and forth wrangling, I settled on a cabbed 5075M. Very well made tractor and very capable.

Good luck in your quest!

AKfish

/ JD 5083E vs M7040 #10  
I'm looking at the LS P7010C tractor too.

Compare it yourself if you need a price point option.

The price quote I got for the LS was substantially much less than the John Deere, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, Mahindra, Kioti, New Holland and Case too.

I've been researching it for some time and the John Deere and LS are at the top of my list at this time.

The John Deere is really nice but the LS price tag and 5 year warranty is something I've been thinking about since I priced one.