John Deere 2210 Questions

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #11  
Check the transmission. This is a letter I had to write to John Deere.

April 14, 2009

Deere & Company
World Headquarters
One John Deere Place
Moline, IL 61265

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I write with regard to the situation I find myself in with regard to my John Deere 2210 compact tractor. My tractor is four years old and has 144 hours on it.

I purchased the tractor approximately four years ago from Triple W Equipment in Missoula, MT. I have recently moved to the Great Falls, MT area.

I have always been very cautious about how I used the tractor since I planned to keep it for many years. On Saturday, March 21, 2009, I was using it to move some loose 2 rock across my property when the transmission case broke. I was obviously shocked and had no idea what had happened.

I called Moodie Implement (John Deere dealer) in Great Falls and had them come get the tractor on Monday March 23, 2009. After nearly two weeks of waiting to see what had happened and what had to be done, I was told that because this was a known issue John Deere would provide a new transmission case at no cost. However, the labor and supplies to repair the tractor still cost me over $3,200. When I asked what the cause was I was told John Deere had experienced this problem and had redesigned the transmission case to solve the problem. I was further told that in most situations the faulty cases had broken within the first 20 to 50 hours and that mine had probably made 144 hours because I babied my tractor so much.

Recently, before the damage to the tractor, my wife and I had been discussing trading the tractor in for the next size larger and purchasing a zero turn mower from John Deere. So, when this happened she asked the salesman at Moodie Implement what kind of a trade he would make for our tractor on a new tractor and a mower. His answer was 的 don稚 think I want it? When she pushed him for a trade-in value he gave a price 1/3 of what another dealer was willing to give for it sight unseen.

I know labor is expensive; however, if the labor rate is $80/hr. that means it took nearly 40 hours plus a few miscellaneous parts and supplies to replace the transmission case. That seems extremely excessive. Yes, I have the receipt with all the detailed explanation of my $3200.00, but in the end I just don稚 think I should have to spend that kind of money on a tractor with 144 hours on the clock. Combine this with the fact that John Deere knew the case was poorly designed and took no proactive steps to help me and the fact that I took such good care of the tractor, you may see why I am dissatisfied. 144 hours is nearly brand new!

I need to say that the service Manager for Moodie Implement went to bat for me with the John Deere Corporation in order to get them to pay for part of the repair and he seemed to genuinely want to help. I suspect he had no choice but to bill the repair by some unreasonable book rate.

I have been a John Deere fan all my life, but because I believe I have been treated so unfairly I have now sold the 2210 tractor and have purchased a new tractor and mower from Kubota. I simply cannot convey the depth of my disappointment in the quality of the John Deere product and the attitude of the John Deere company.

Where do I turn in the cap, I have had displayed in my home, that reads 笛ohn Deere Owners Edition入

Sincerely,

Your just posting this to bash JD...you made the same post twice now.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #12  
Check the transmission. This is a letter I had to write to John Deere.

April 14, 2009

Deere & Company
World Headquarters
One John Deere Place
Moline, IL 61265

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I write with regard to the situation I find myself in with regard to my John Deere 2210 compact tractor. My tractor is four years old and has 144 hours on it.

I purchased the tractor approximately four years ago from Triple W Equipment in Missoula, MT. I have recently moved to the Great Falls, MT area.

I have always been very cautious about how I used the tractor since I planned to keep it for many years. On Saturday, March 21, 2009, I was using it to move some loose 2 rock across my property when the transmission case broke. I was obviously shocked and had no idea what had happened.

I called Moodie Implement (John Deere dealer) in Great Falls and had them come get the tractor on Monday March 23, 2009. After nearly two weeks of waiting to see what had happened and what had to be done, I was told that because this was a known issue John Deere would provide a new transmission case at no cost. However, the labor and supplies to repair the tractor still cost me over $3,200. When I asked what the cause was I was told John Deere had experienced this problem and had redesigned the transmission case to solve the problem. I was further told that in most situations the faulty cases had broken within the first 20 to 50 hours and that mine had probably made 144 hours because I babied my tractor so much.

Recently, before the damage to the tractor, my wife and I had been discussing trading the tractor in for the next size larger and purchasing a zero turn mower from John Deere. So, when this happened she asked the salesman at Moodie Implement what kind of a trade he would make for our tractor on a new tractor and a mower. His answer was 的 don稚 think I want it? When she pushed him for a trade-in value he gave a price 1/3 of what another dealer was willing to give for it sight unseen.

I know labor is expensive; however, if the labor rate is $80/hr. that means it took nearly 40 hours plus a few miscellaneous parts and supplies to replace the transmission case. That seems extremely excessive. Yes, I have the receipt with all the detailed explanation of my $3200.00, but in the end I just don稚 think I should have to spend that kind of money on a tractor with 144 hours on the clock. Combine this with the fact that John Deere knew the case was poorly designed and took no proactive steps to help me and the fact that I took such good care of the tractor, you may see why I am dissatisfied. 144 hours is nearly brand new!

I need to say that the service Manager for Moodie Implement went to bat for me with the John Deere Corporation in order to get them to pay for part of the repair and he seemed to genuinely want to help. I suspect he had no choice but to bill the repair by some unreasonable book rate.

I have been a John Deere fan all my life, but because I believe I have been treated so unfairly I have now sold the 2210 tractor and have purchased a new tractor and mower from Kubota. I simply cannot convey the depth of my disappointment in the quality of the John Deere product and the attitude of the John Deere company.

Where do I turn in the cap, I have had displayed in my home, that reads 笛ohn Deere Owners Edition入

Sincerely,

Your just posting this just to bash JD...you have made the same post twice now.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #13  
Well, that sucks.

Did JD HQ respond? I think I would have left the part about the Kubota out until I got an initial response...

D.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #15  
Well, that sucks.

Did JD HQ respond? I think I would have left the part about the Kubota out until I got an initial response...

D.

John Deere called me and very politely explained that the amount of help I could recieve was up to the regional rep., who apparently decided to provide the redesigned transmission case. As for the trade in issue, they explained that the dealer was locally owned. I thanked them for at least calling to acknowledge my letter.

I am not bashing JD, I had a bad experience and am not willing to do business there any more. The reason for the post seems obvious, if I were looking at a used 2210 I would want to know which transmission case was in it.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #16  
John Deere called me and very politely explained that the amount of help I could recieve was up to the regional rep., who apparently decided to provide the redesigned transmission case. As for the trade in issue, they explained that the dealer was locally owned. I thanked them for at least calling to acknowledge my letter.

I am not bashing JD, I had a bad experience and am not willing to do business there any more. The reason for the post seems obvious, if I were looking at a used 2210 I would want to know which transmission case was in it.

I get it - good thing to know about the trans. I had a 2210 and I did not know about a trans issue. I would have gone to JD HQ sooner on the deal and left the Kubota part out. In their eyes they already lost a customer to another brand - was not nothing they could have done to keep you as a customer.

Does anybody know the serial number cut off on the transmission upgrade?

D.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #17  
I have a transmission question of my own. I purchased a 2210 used two years ago with about 140 hours on it. It now has about 202 hours. One thing I noticed about the tractor is the transmission is noisy under load. Is this normal? I just changed the transmission oil with standard Hy Guard, replaced the filter and cleaned the screen.

At first, I was thinking about not changing the transmission filter but I am glad I did. What scares me is when I pulled out the metal screen for cleaning, it had lots of debris in it some of which was metal. I also removed the 4 bar magnets from the center of the screen. These magnet catch iron/steel fragments that make it past the screen. Man did those magnets catch some metal. Is it normal to see lots of filings around these magnets? Has anyone else noticed this? I cleaned the screen and magnets with mineral spirits and reassembled, reassembled the prefilter, replaced the filter and put in 3.5 gallons of oil. After all of this, the transmission is still noisy. Maybe this is normal. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thank you for your input.

Scot

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #18  
I have a transmission question of my own. I purchased a 2210 used two years ago with about 140 hours on it. It now has about 202 hours. One thing I noticed about the tractor is the transmission is noisy under load. Is this normal? I just changed the transmission oil with standard Hy Guard, replaced the filter and cleaned the screen.

At first, I was thinking about not changing the transmission filter but I am glad I did. What scares me is when I pulled out the metal screen for cleaning, it had lots of debris in it some of which was metal. I also removed the 4 bar magnets from the center of the screen. These magnet catch iron/steel fragments that make it past the screen. Man did those magnets catch some metal. Is it normal to see lots of filings around these magnets? Has anyone else noticed this? I cleaned the screen and magnets with mineral spirits and reassembled, reassembled the prefilter, replaced the filter and put in 3.5 gallons of oil. After all of this, the transmission is still noisy. Maybe this is normal. Has anyone else noticed this?

Scot

Welcome to TBN Scot:D

If by "noisy" you mean "whiney" or makes "whining sounds", then yes-it's perfectly normal, just the nature of a hydrostatic transmission.

As for the metal in the filter-that is also quite normal in a new machine...it is very prevalent when doing the first 50 hour service, and usually considerably less after that. Do you have and records that indicate if the 50 hour service was performed?

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #19  

Scot[/QUOTE]

My 2210 whined also.

When I serviced the trans the first time it had metal in the screens and on the magnets. It cleaned up nicely and I did not see much more metal.

Was that the fist hydraulic oil change?

D.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #20  
I have no idea if any one changed the oil prior to this change. I do not think the manual calls for a hydro change before 200 hours. It is just scary to see so much metal in a filter like that. I wonder if I should put a magnet in my cars oil to pick up drifting material.

It seems that a hydrolic oil change after 50-100 hours would be a good idea.

Scot