John Deere 2210 Questions

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #1  

Dr0wssap

Tractor
John Deere 2210
Hello,
New to T.B.N.
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2003 John Deere 2210 with a 210 front end loader for $8,599 from a local dealer here in Wisconsin, delivery included. There are a few minor scratches but no dents or dings on it. The paint looks great except for two dime size surface rust spots on the hood. (Battery acid drips?)
It has 412 hours on it.
Is this a fair price for this tractor?
If I purchase it the dealership will through in a can of John Deere spray paint for touching up the rust spots. Will paint out of a spray can cover decently, or will the touched up painting look worse than if I just left the spots?
Thanks for any and all replies.:)

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

That sounds like a fair price for a 2210 w/loader. The 2210 was replaced by the 2305 if you want to compare it to a new model-basically identical machine except for the trim.

The JD paint is very good stuff, but don't expect miracles-to repair properly you have top sand out the rust, then primer and then paint feathering it to blend into the area around it, but with 6 year old machine the hood will have faded some...so the only way to really do it right is repaint the whole hood.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #3  
And once you re-paint the whole hood, the rest of the machine will look unnaturally faded. Just like a car...

Aside from that, the machine sounds like it's in good shape. 400 hrs over 6 years is not a lot of time so the engine should still be strong. It'll pay for itself in just a couple of years...

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #4  
I have 400 hours on my 2004 2210, still runs as strong as the day it was delivered.

As for the hood, well, a few ooops's with the loader and you'll get some dents anyway... don't ask how I know ....

/ John Deere 2210 Questions
Thanks for all the replies.
I have 5 wooded acres along with approx. 1 1/2 acre lawn and a 1/2 acre trout pond. Along with 1000 other tasks that I will need a tractor and front end loader for. I want to purchase the right tractor to do landscape work around my home. Eventually get a mower deck to cut the lawn. Cut fire wood. Rock the shoreline of my pond. Plow or snow blow my 400 ft. driveway. Will the 2210 be up to these tasks? If so,do you guys think I should purchase this tractor for $8,599? I can close on it today but need a little reassurance before I purchase. Thanks again for all replies. :rolleyes:

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #7  
I think the 2210 will do most of what you want, up to about 500lbs in the bucket. The hydraulics are capable of lifting up to 1000lbs a few inches but that requires a change of underwear usually. I recommend about 500lbs rear ballast for loader work. It will definitely do a nice job mowing, and can move a lot of snow. Where are you? if it's anyplace it's cold enough to snow you want to get a cab of some kind for snowblowing.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions
At approximately 1:30pm April 27th 2009 I will be turning GREEN, John Deere Green to be more precise! Thanks to all who replied to my original post, you guys helped me make the final decision to buy my 2210.

/ John Deere 2210 Questions #10  
Check the transmission. This is a letter I had to write to John Deere.

April 14, 2009

Deere & Company
World Headquarters
One John Deere Place
Moline, IL 61265

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I write with regard to the situation I find myself in with regard to my John Deere 2210 compact tractor. My tractor is four years old and has 144 hours on it.

I purchased the tractor approximately four years ago from Triple W Equipment in Missoula, MT. I have recently moved to the Great Falls, MT area.

I have always been very cautious about how I used the tractor since I planned to keep it for many years. On Saturday, March 21, 2009, I was using it to move some loose 2 rock across my property when the transmission case broke. I was obviously shocked and had no idea what had happened.

I called Moodie Implement (John Deere dealer) in Great Falls and had them come get the tractor on Monday March 23, 2009. After nearly two weeks of waiting to see what had happened and what had to be done, I was told that because this was a known issue John Deere would provide a new transmission case at no cost. However, the labor and supplies to repair the tractor still cost me over $3,200. When I asked what the cause was I was told John Deere had experienced this problem and had redesigned the transmission case to solve the problem. I was further told that in most situations the faulty cases had broken within the first 20 to 50 hours and that mine had probably made 144 hours because I babied my tractor so much.

Recently, before the damage to the tractor, my wife and I had been discussing trading the tractor in for the next size larger and purchasing a zero turn mower from John Deere. So, when this happened she asked the salesman at Moodie Implement what kind of a trade he would make for our tractor on a new tractor and a mower. His answer was 的 don稚 think I want it? When she pushed him for a trade-in value he gave a price 1/3 of what another dealer was willing to give for it sight unseen.

I know labor is expensive; however, if the labor rate is $80/hr. that means it took nearly 40 hours plus a few miscellaneous parts and supplies to replace the transmission case. That seems extremely excessive. Yes, I have the receipt with all the detailed explanation of my $3200.00, but in the end I just don稚 think I should have to spend that kind of money on a tractor with 144 hours on the clock. Combine this with the fact that John Deere knew the case was poorly designed and took no proactive steps to help me and the fact that I took such good care of the tractor, you may see why I am dissatisfied. 144 hours is nearly brand new!

I need to say that the service Manager for Moodie Implement went to bat for me with the John Deere Corporation in order to get them to pay for part of the repair and he seemed to genuinely want to help. I suspect he had no choice but to bill the repair by some unreasonable book rate.

I have been a John Deere fan all my life, but because I believe I have been treated so unfairly I have now sold the 2210 tractor and have purchased a new tractor and mower from Kubota. I simply cannot convey the depth of my disappointment in the quality of the John Deere product and the attitude of the John Deere company.

Where do I turn in the cap, I have had displayed in my home, that reads 笛ohn Deere Owners Edition入

Sincerely,