Tiller question

/ Tiller question #1  

luckypickett

I have a 2006 b7610 Kubota and am looking for the proper tiller for it. I currently have a 6600 square foot garden plot and want to use on food plots on my tree farm. My local dealer offers land pride tillers and has quoted a RTR1050. There is a big price difference between the land pride and the KingKutter. Is there a big quality difference, am I paying for service, or both? Also, would you go to a 58" tiller?

/ Tiller question #2  
I am not familiar with Kubota, but I think thats a 30+hp tractor? If so, you should be able to handle a 58" with no problem. I run a heavy duty 72" on my 44HP tractor without trouble.

King Kutter is a gear drive tiller. The Land Pride is a chain system. People prefer the gear drive since there is no chain tensioning, they might last longer without maintenance, and they seemed to be priced higher, except King Kutter.

King Kutters paint ... well, it sucks. But the rest is supposed ot be a good tiller.

I went with a deere model because I wanted a heavier tiller for my heavy ground. I think the tiller I have is built better, and will last me longer.

I would suggest you look at both closely. Look at how they are built, and make your mind up that way.

/ Tiller question
NMU98:

Thanks for the information, my machine is 24 hp. I meant to post this in the attachments, but i ended up in the in the Deere forum. I guess I have green running through my viens afterall.

I appreciate your opinion.

/ Tiller question #4  
5ft may be too much for your tractor than,better stay with a 4 ft one.Will a 4 ft one cover your tracks,if not,you should get one that offsets to one side,so's one set of tracks will be covered,not all tillers offset.

But would get kk 4ft one[if it offset,my 5 ft one doesn't],over the green one,by the way,whats a green one cost.

/ Tiller question #5  
We run a 57" on a 4110. That is 18hp. I still feel you will be fine with a 58".

One thing to think about is how often you are using it and for what purpose. Our 72" is nice, but its not something we ise to till between rows. Its way too large. Try at a minimum to get one that covers your tracks!

/ Tiller question #6  
IMO you'll be fine with a 5 footer...I've got a 72" unit on my 37 hp machine and I have NO problems whatsoever... The way it runs on my machine I'd say a 30 horse could handle a 72" unit no problem.

Quality wise...you always get what you pay for...I was just about to pull the trigger on a 72" KK unit, but I ended up finding a 72" Sovema unit at a smokin price...you can tell the quality isnt the same...fit & finish on my Sovema is great..and she works like a charm.

You KNOW its a good piece of equipment when SWMBO says "Why didnt we get one of these sooner"... :D

/ Tiller question #7  
I have a JD 2320 (24HP, 18 PTO HP) and run a 655 tiller (55 inches). I have no problems and really tears into the ground. I used it this year to break fresh ground though I did have a friend run a ripper through it first (teeth about 1 foot apart.) After using it, I think I could have slowly went through it without having it pre-ripped.

/ Tiller question #8  
You can see my setup in my signature. I think the Land Pride tiller I have in either reverse or forward tine rotation would be the perfect setup for your tractor. I know that my tractor could easily handle a 6 foot tiller but I didn't want the extra width to worry about when manuvering. King Kutter tillers seem to be good tillers as well. I have seen them in action. I have heard nothing bad about them. I just think that the Land Pride brand implements have a better support network if and when they ever need fixin. Based on what I have seen the gear driver vs. chain drive thing is a hoaxe. Today's chain drive units are self adjusting and and will probably never need replacing unless you are using your tiller 4 hours a day every day of the year every year for several years. On a side note, if you have hard packed clay like we do here in SW Oklahoma, then I would HIGHLY encourage you to go with a reverse tine tiller. I used a John Deere 655 forward rotation tiller on the back of a Case 57 HP tractor and the tiller would not dig in or stay dug into the ground. It just bounced along the top even on subsequent passes. My lil ole Land Pride reverse tine tiller digs in and stays dug in on the first pass. If I want the clay to be the same texture as sand I just do a second pass and the clay has been pulverized into a texture similar to sand. Good luck and enjoy the hunt. :p

/ Tiller question #9  
Lucky, I have B3030 Kubota and run a Landpride RTR 1050 58" 4 tine. Last week I tilled my garden breaking hard sod and was amazed at the results. I considered using a buster first but didn't know anyone who had one and I didn't care to drive 30 miles to buy one. All the claims Landpride makes of their seem correct. Actually I believe my Kubota could run a 6 tine and a slightly larger tiller. I hope this sheds a little light. Also I like reverse till.:D