question about rear wheel weights

/ question about rear wheel weights #1  

RollingsFarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.
I'm planning on buying a 6' disk in the next couple of weeks and had a couple questions about JD rear wheel weights. I was looking on the website and the price for the 110 lb. weights for the rear tires is $147. is that for a set or for each weight? I'm looking to buy 2 sets(2 weights per tire= 4 total weights). the other question I had was when they deliver my disk, can they install the weights on the tractor here at the farm or do I have to get them to take the tractor in to do this? I was thinking that maybe they could install them here but wanted to make sure. I emailed my dealer with these questions but haven't heard back from them yet so I thought I would post my questions on here. One more question really quick. is the front weight bracket and front weights also able to be field installed or will the tractor need to be taken in for this?

/ question about rear wheel weights #2  
I think their weights are usually over a dollar per pound. My 42lb weights were about $50 each.

/ question about rear wheel weights #3  
Mech is right.. the $147 price is for 1-110lb weight. You'll need to buy the mounting hardware too (starter weight). And there's another hardware package for the 2nd weight.

I'd bet you could do the work yourself. It's not like rebuilding a transmission. The worst part will be holding the weight in place while fitting the bolts and then tightening 'em up. Best to have another set of hands - preferably someone that's about 22-24 years old and can do push-ups with one hand!

You'll be doin' your own little bit for the economy.. and helpin' to keep my Deere stocks up!!

Good luck. And post pics when (if) you do it, too! :D

AKfish

The front weight bracket ain't too complicated either - IMO. Like 4-6 bolts and then hang those weights on there... or have that kid do it!!

/ question about rear wheel weights #4  
I looked at their wheel weights and decided to fill my tires instead. I have 6 suitcase weights on my BB.

/ question about rear wheel weights #5  
I'm planning on buying a 6' disk in the next couple of weeks and had a couple questions about JD rear wheel weights. I was looking on the website and the price for the 110 lb. weights for the rear tires is $147. is that for a set or for each weight? I'm looking to buy 2 sets(2 weights per tire= 4 total weights). the other question I had was when they deliver my disk, can they install the weights on the tractor here at the farm or do I have to get them to take the tractor in to do this? I was thinking that maybe they could install them here but wanted to make sure. I emailed my dealer with these questions but haven't heard back from them yet so I thought I would post my questions on here. One more question really quick. is the front weight bracket and front weights also able to be field installed or will the tractor need to be taken in for this?

I believe that price is per plate. I just had some installed on both my tractors - it was very worthwhile.

I suspect they could install them at your place. I would want to talk to the guy that is actually installing them and make sure he is good with it. He might want to use a lift at the shop, etc. I took mine in for a couple other things, so that was not an option.

D.

/ question about rear wheel weights #6  

Also, I am not sure I would worry about rear ballast on your machine. It looks like you don't have any front weights or a FEL. You might need to check the numbers for the front.

D.

/ question about rear wheel weights
Also, I am not sure I would worry about rear ballast on your machine. It looks like you don't have any front weights or a FEL. You might need to check the numbers for the front.

D.

acctually i'm planning on getting a FEL(already have the joystick and scv's) but that won't be for another 3 years(after tractor is paid off). my dealer wouldn't fill my rear tires because he said theyd do that when i bought my fel. when i disk i'm having a tough time getting traction to the ground so i was hoping to add some weight onto the tractor until i got the fel. i was figuring on putting on 4 rear wheel weights(2 per side) and maybe 4 plates on the front. may i ask how many rear wheel weights you added? is that with filled tires too? i'd like to get my tractor as close to 6,000lbs as i can for now because the way i figured it up, i'd be around 7,000lbs when i get the fel, filled tires, plus rear wheel weights. that'd be the ideal setup for me i think. weight and pulling is what i'm after, i am not at all worried about leaving ruts in my yard or anything, this is strictly a field tractor.

/ question about rear wheel weights #8  
I put 4 weights on the rear (2 per wheel).

I did not fill the tires - looked like a headache on many levels.

Weights front and rear sound like the ticket for you.

I would get a quote for the parts and then parts - installed.

How far is it to the dealer?

Weight makes all the difference - git er done.

D.