3000 series or 4000 series?

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #11  
My 3720 cab tractor with smaller R4 tires just fits in my garage which is 7-1/2 ft high (less than 1 inch to spare). The 4320 open station with R4 tires doesn't fit because of the ROPS height so I have to fold down the ROPS. Actually, I rarely put it up unless working on steep slopes. I worry about forgetting to lower the ROPS prior to entering the garage.
I would not assume a 3720 open station is lower than a cab -- might be higher.

The open station is higher. My 3720 open station with the larger R-4's had 1 inch of clearance on an 8 foot door. My cab has tons of room...

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #12  
Honestly, I would suggest either a 3520 or stepping up to a 4120....With the work I've done around the house I dont remember one time wishing i had more HP....I break traction WAY before running out of steam....thats why I'd reccomend the 4120...UNLESS you'd be doing very PTO intensive work....then I could see the 3720 being an OK choice.

Definetly, without a doubt, get a Cab...

Also, instead of the overpriced Joke of a blower (the 59") look at the 74" Frontier 3pt Blower...if they want too much (i've never officially priced out the 74" Frontier Blower), Kubota has the same blower at a great price point....

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #13  
My dad has a 3720 with a 300X loader. When we got 3 feet of snow up here in NW Oregon, I wished it had a cab and snow blower. It took two days to dig out the steep 3/4 mile driveway in 20 degree weather. We had to equip it with tire chains on the front and it worked great. I only lasted an hour until I couldnt feel my hands. Then I traded off with my step mom and sat in front of the pellet stove for 15 minutes. We tried to use the CT322 Deere skidsteer but I almost slid it into the new fence along the driveway. Never use rubber tracks on a hill with a base of 2" of ice on gravel. 0 traction and chains over the tracks hurt the drive trane. Can you believe im only 13!:D

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #14  
i have a 3520 and my neighbor has a 4000 series. Some things to consider:

1. 4000 series is much louder
2. 4000 in my opinion is much better for tilling, heavy blading, etc. Neighbor just lets me use his tractor if I want to use his tiller. We have mostly heavy clay soil here so you need all the power you can get, even to box blade, though my 3520 does pretty good with a blade as long as the soil is dry.
3. 3000 is nice as it fits in my dump trailer and is easy to cart around if need be.
4. I have no problems harrowing the fields, cleaning the barn, etc. Loader capacity with the 300cx is pretty good. Overall my tractor works fantastic as a barn utility tractor.
5. R4s absolutely suck if you live anywhere that has decent rainfall. I am in SW Washington and the R4s are totally useless in the field or even yard if it has been raining. I really wish I would have went with R1s instead when I bought. However, R4s are nice when commuting between properties on the main paved road (I usually just drive the tractor the 3 miles instead of loading it in the trailer).

Now, if I had to do it again, I would have went bigger. However, the 3000 is a perfect size for working between my fir trees, so i guess if I had to do it again, I would have bought a lottery ticket and bought every size of traffic. :D

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #15  
Would the new R4s work any better? My dad has a 3720 with R4s to. I loved the R4s on pavement but they have their problems. My dad should have left the R1s on that were originally on it. He wanted the width though. I also hear that R4s are the best for loader work. New R4 tires? - TractorByNet.com

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #16  
Now, if I had to do it again, I would have went bigger. However, the 3000 is a perfect size for working between my fir trees, so i guess if I had to do it again, I would have bought a lottery ticket and bought every size of traffic. :D

traffic being tractor of course. Stupid spellcheck. Heh.

/ 3000 series or 4000 series?
I want to thank everyone for responding. I don't think that I'm particularly unique in my desire to "do it right" the first time, and I'm hopeful that this thread will be particularly helpful to those in similar situations. Purchasing a tractor is a significant investment, and it is apparent that "trading up" later is a costly enterprise. I would love to get a cab as well, but I fear the cost is too great, especially if I choose the 4520. The dealer suggested a fabric type enclosure that might suffice in winter conditions for much less.

My sense is that the R4 tires are a compromise between the R1 tires, which will likely tear up the trails that I hope to maintain, and the turf tires that won't allow me to do the type of work that I hope to complete. As with all compromises, their is a little gained and some lost as well. It's a bit like one of the previous posters commented, if they had their way they would have purchased both a 3000 series and a 4000 series tractor. We all have other things that require our attention financially. To be honest, I feel lucky that I'm in the position to purchase a tractor of this quality, considering where I've come from and the financial quandary the majority of the country finds itself in today.

I talked to the dealer today, and he quoted me around 14% below MSRP for a 4520 with the 400CX loader. I let the dealer know that I've been heavily involved in terms of research and that I'm aware that many have indicated their ability to get between 15-20% off of MSRP. I believe (read I'm hopeful) that he will be able to sell in this range as well. Regardless, I owe a great deal to this community.

Thanks so much.

--
andrew

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #18  
Andrew, good luck with your decision

I recently purchased a new 4520 cab tractor 2009 and got a little over 18% off msrp. Not only is the cab more comfortable for the operator but it also keeps the internals in good condition too.

Steve

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #19  
I would love to get a cab as well, but I fear the cost is too great, especially if I choose the 4520. The dealer suggested a fabric type enclosure that might suffice in winter conditions for much less.

To be honest, I feel lucky that I'm in the position to purchase a tractor of this quality, considering where I've come from and the financial quandary the majority of the country finds itself in today.

I talked to the dealer today, and he quoted me around 14% below MSRP for a 4520 with the 400CX loader. I let the dealer know that I've been heavily involved in terms of research and that I'm aware that many have indicated their ability to get between 15-20% off of MSRP. I believe (read I'm hopeful) that he will be able to sell in this range as well.

andrew

Andrew; what happened to a 4320..?? JD offers a cabbed 4320, too. There's a couple thousand difference between the 4520 and the 4320.

Yes, indeed... count your lucky stars!!

Your dealer can still keep the light's on and make payroll if he makes the decision to sell you a tractor for 20% below MSRP. Especially if he already has a machine that's sitting on the lot and he's been paying interest on it! However, if he won't - and it's really important to you - don't be hesitant to use the door.

That said; you will need a good dealer in the future and it's very important not to get into a contest of wills over every last dollar... 'cause there may come a time down the road when he can decide to give you a pass as well.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #20  
Andrew; what happened to a 4320..?? JD offers a cabbed 4320, too. There's a couple thousand difference between the 4520 and the 4320.

Andrew its your call, but I'd downgrade the HP and get the cab....you wont regret it. I Cant recall any threads here saying "I should have got an open station"...

Honestly shop other colors, mentioning "I can get a kubota for $$" really made the pencil sharpen up. At the end, the dealer wouldnt go down in dollars, but started throwing in stuff...for example my Weel Weights, Radio Mount Kit, and rear work lights were "Free", and you can usually get a Filter Pak thrown in there too...some people get the first service thrown in, I elected the DIY route...