3000 series or 4000 series?

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #21  
I would have loved to have got a cab tractor, so I totally agree. However, being that I live in an area with lots of trees, I think I probably would have destroyed the cab by now. Man it would be nice though to use the tractor in the winter without freezing and in the summer with AC and not getting harassed by wasps. *sigh*

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #22  
I would have loved to have got a cab tractor, so I totally agree. However, being that I live in an area with lots of trees, I think I probably would have destroyed the cab by now. Man it would be nice though to use the tractor in the winter without freezing and in the summer with AC and not getting harassed by wasps. *sigh*

Its not too big an issue, just cut the branches and limbs along roads a little wider and taller....in a few hours of using a cabbed machine, you soon get the feel of its size & limitations and its not a super big issue...

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #23  
Maybe a 35-3720 with cab depending on your budget.

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #24  
4520 with the 400CX loader.

That's what I have, and love it... most of the time.
I have an open station, and for me that works. Too many times I'm dropping the rops as it is.

A few points for you to consider:
The 400CX is a dream loader if you do a lot of palletized material moving. The down side is the effective roll back is much less than the 400X. At ground level the roll back is the same, but as you take the bucket up, the roll back increases to keep the material in better, unless you have a self leveling FEL. Carrying a heaped load with the 400CX = spreading the load along the route. I love the strenght, and the capacity, but everything is a trade off.

Get the 3rd scv that way you can add a 4in1 or grapple easy. The kit is cheap but may not be available if you want it down the road.

With the 4520 you are outside the SAE HP for the Cat 1 3pt. So if you are building road/trail, get a Cat1-2 rear blade. I broke both of my blades left over from the 4300 I had. Current is a 84" Landpride with full hydraulics. Made building roads a snap.

Have fun, stay safe

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #25  
go 4000 series!! will do everything the 3000 series will do and then a lot more.
I purchased the 3320 last year and I'm now looking to trade it in on a 4120.
it's just much more tractor for not much more money.

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #26  
Hi JCA47,

Having just purchased the 3320, wondering what you are not able to do (that you want to do) that you are upgrading to the 4000? Just want to make sure I do not have some of these projects planned :)

Thanks,

Boomer

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #27  
I have the 3320 w/ ehydro, just not a big fan. I think it's a fine transmission on lawn tractors, but not on a tractor if you want to do some heavy plowing or ground engaging work;
I know there are many fans of it, but I just don't love it.
also, the 3000 series is narrow in stance so it feels unstable when loaded etc.
it's a great tractor if you dont' have much heavy lifting to do, but if you want to do some heavier type work, I think the 4000 series is much better; more horses and a bigger frame
just one man's opinion.

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #28  
Ahhm got it. I do plan to do a bit of loader work (dirt, rocks, gravel, etc). What do you consider "heavy"?

Thanks,

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #29  
Boomer,

A full bucket of gravel or rock is considered heavy.

You will like the 4520 cab if you get one. The ehydro transmissions work well for ground engaging work and remember that is only part of what we use tractors for. The ehydro is perfect for loader work and is the easiest to manuever in tight quarters. You need to take a test drive at the dealer.

Steve

/ 3000 series or 4000 series? #30  
I am not a big fan of cabs on smaller tractors. They definitely limit where you can go with the tractor. Forget about the woods or a 7 ft door (even an open station 4000 series easily fits in one with the ROPS down). Do you know how much those fancy curved windows cost to replace? A good canopy is a lot closer to the comfort of an air-conditioned cab than to a tractor without any sun-protection. Most folks dont realize this, thinking it is cab or no cab with nothing in between. I dont mind putting on a snowsuit a few times a year to run the snowplow in the winter. If I wanted to work inside, I would stay in the house. The outdoors are great. I really like my 4120 and am very glad I did not go with the 3000 series, or a larger, costlier 4000 series. It has hydraulic lift capacity and reach equal to a 4720 and very much more than the 3720. There has never been a time in 4 years of hard use where I wanted or needed more hp. I love the sound of that turbocharged engine that actually operates relatively quiet at PTO speed compared to many other tractors I have had. It is loud at idle relative to others which gives it a bad rap from the test-drivers who rarely aproach PTO speed on the dealers lots. The power-reverser trans, and loaded rear R1's are great for ground engaging work. I cant put to words how blessed I feel to not be stuck with R4 tires or a hydro trans. I also love that 400x loader, which is great for moving material fast with minimal spillage.