John Deere retail order on compact tractor?

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #1  

mechatgsk

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060
Hello, I recently ordered a compact utility tractor from John Deere. This was a new tractor direct from factory in Augusta, Georgia. I ordered it on a Friday around 12:30pm. The dealer said it had a delivery date of 14-JUL-09 or sooner. I decided on Saturday morning that I wanted a one size larger tractor. I called the dealer at 10:30am Saturday morning and they thought it would be fine. The salesman said I had 24 hours to change an order. Well..Monday goes by and I hear nothing from dealer. So, Tuesday I call dealer and I hear a different story now. They tell me the tractor shipped on Friday already. The dealer tells me he was wrong about 24 hour deal, he says that is for agriculture tractors only and not compacts. He then said there would be a penalty for not taking the retail ordered tractor. Possibly $1000.00 minimum or 2% to 3% of price of tractor. Can anyone tell me what the John Deere policy is?
I have bought and paid for a lot of equipment from John Deere in the past to be a home owner. I feel like this is way to much to pay for changing my mind and wanting a larger tractor. I would like advice on what to do? Thanks :confused:

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #2  
I believe it is 72 hours, at least in ny. I can't figure out why it might be so difficult for you to buy the tractor you want from a dealer if they want to sell them.

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #3  
I would contact Deere directly since you ordered this way. I agree with Art too, most people are getting 10% or better discount through a dealer, I would not think Deere would sell direct unless you were paying list. I can't see Deere competeing with the dealers so you likely are paying too much.

Steve

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor?
Steve, you misunderstood me. I am buying through a JD Dealer. I meant the tractor was ordered from dealer but coming from JD plant in Augusta, Georgia. Thanks

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #5  
Sounds to me like they're just trying to squeeze extra money out of you. How's ordering this tractor for you any different than ordering 1 for dealer stock? Unless you upped the price by adding a lot of uncommon options, they shouldn't have any more trouble selling this one from their lot than they would any other machine they get. Plus, it's not as if you decided you made a mistake and don't want a tractor now, you want to UPGRADE. The dealer should be happy because if you want a larger machine, it likely costs more and they should stand to make more money as a result. Is this a large dealer with a decent selection of tractors on the lot?

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #6  
Unfortunately your dealer is not trying to "squeeze more money" out of you - they are simply trying to recoup the penalty Deere will charge them when they sell the tractor you ordered to someone else. If a dealer orders a tractor "Retail Sale" the customer name and address must be included in the order and if the tractor is sold to anyone else, the dealer is charged a penalty. The reason for this is that "Retail Sale" orders go to the front of the line - in front of any "stock" orders that have already been placed. In the past, dealers would order something "Retail Sold" (when it wasn't) to get it in quickly and then say the sale fell through and put the unit into stock inventory. Also, a "Retail Sold" order comes with no terms, so if they don't sell your original ordered tractor almost immediately, they will start to pay interest on it... Not trying to defend the dealer or Deere's policy - just hoping to inform.

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #7  
Thanks for clarifying that on the order terms--the dealer's stance makes a little more sense now, though it probably isn't going to do much for customer loyalty.

What size tractor did you order, and what size did you change your mind and decide you wanted?

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #8  
that seems absurd. Any company that we deal with would reinstate the tractor and give the dealer their stock terms back.

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #9  
Thank you for your insightful reply.

/ John Deere retail order on compact tractor? #10  
that seems absurd. Any company that we deal with would reinstate the tractor and give the dealer their stock terms back.

Agreed. If it were me, they could either drop that talk of a penalty and work something out with JD themselves and sell me the larger model that I wanted, or I'd let them keep their tractor and the knowledge that I was buying a bigger tractor and buy that bigger tractor elsewhere.