5xxx weak rear axles?

/ 5xxx weak rear axles? #1  

BeeferMan

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 1194, Ford 641, NH TT75A
Looking to add some HP to our haying operation, there seem to be a few 5420's and 5425's floating around with low hours. We'd be looking at a 2wd, no loader.

I've had a couple people tell me that the 5000's had problems with the rear axles, particularly the 2wd w/ loader. According to the info I've heard, 2WD's w/o loader haven't been a problem, and 4WD's w/ loader is not so much of a problem (I'm assuming in using the 4WD some of the load is taking off the rears?)

Any fact or fiction to this?

/ 5xxx weak rear axles? #3  
Never heard of that either...the 25 series rear is beefed up slightly from the 20 series.

/ 5xxx weak rear axles? #4  
Weak in what way?

The loader would have little effect on the rear axle.

/ 5xxx weak rear axles? #6  
haven't heard of this either. i would think the front axle would be under more stress with a loader then the rear axle? now, they could be doing loader work on pavement with R1's and that would granade a rear end in a tractor fast! i can tell you that i pull some serious weight with my 5203 and haven't had any problems whatsoever. now, i couldnt tell you what differences there are in 5003 axles compared to 5020 and 5025, except for maybe larger size?

/ 5xxx weak rear axles? #7  
Not to say they have problems, but I did see one two weeks ago in the john deere garage with the axles being worked on.

/ 5xxx weak rear axles? #8  
haven't heard of this either. i would think the front axle would be under more stress with a loader then the rear axle? now, they could be doing loader work on pavement with R1's and that would granade a rear end in a tractor fast! i can tell you that i pull some serious weight with my 5203 and haven't had any problems whatsoever. now, i couldnt tell you what differences there are in 5003 axles compared to 5020 and 5025, except for maybe larger size?

How/Why would R-1's on pavement be hard on rearends?

/ 5xxx weak rear axles?
Got any examples?

Pushing heavy material with lots of ballast on the 3 pt could stress the rears quite a bit if they're doing all the work (w/ 2WD), as could loader work which involves a lot of break out force. Lots of shuttle operation, working in loose material that allows some wheel hop, working in tight quarters where the wheel brakes are used extensively, all those can be stressful. Add a load in the bucket and it will be more stressful on the rear end than, than say, running a moco where the bucket is absent or unused...